TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

iTunes TV shows in HD question

Old 01-17-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iTunes TV shows in HD question

Well two questions actually....

1. How does they look/sound hooked up to an HDTV?
2. Given that shows like Sons of Anarchy haven't arrived yet on DVD, are these original broadcast episodes? Curious because I am wondering if the music is intact.
Old 01-17-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: iTunes TV shows in HD question

I've only downloaded a few of free HD episodes (30 Rock, The Office and Monk) on my AppleTV.

These episodes are 720p and DD 5.1 (granted these shows don't have the most dynamic soundscapes) but they look good the most part. Monk and The Office looked better than 30 Rock, which seemed a little off.

On the second part, I would assume so, but it would be a YMMV situation based on what the studio decides to do for each program.
Old 01-17-09, 04:56 PM

iTunes HD shows look very good on my 58" plasma. If I don't watch something on the night it airs, for something like CSI or Bones I'll often watch the iTunes version instead, because it looks just as good to me as the HDTV recording, and there are no annoying commercials.

As for Sons of Anarchy, the episodes I have watched from iTunes had the original music, according to what was listed on sites like TV.com. I don't get FX with my basic cable sub, so I've never seen the broadcast episodes to verify.
Old 01-18-09, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys. That Apple TV is looking better and better...hopefully Apple has an upgrade planned so I can get rid of my DVR.
Old 01-19-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
hopefully Apple has an upgrade planned so I can get rid of my DVR.
I was hoping the same, but if you think about it, that kinda kills the iTunes business model for tv shows for them. Why would anyone buy that 30 Rock episode they missed? The AppleTV like a Tivo would have already recorded it for free. I'm quite sure Apple could blow Tivo's interface away (I love my Tivo but I hate the menus) so I hope it does happen one day.
Old 01-19-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i'll probably buy a blu-ray player this year and use that for HD TV episodes on DVD. Blu-Ray is already cheaper than Apple TV
Old 01-19-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I had issues with choppy video, so definately get a free one and try it out first. I tried all the fixes, but it never did work quite right. I watched on a 122" projection, and it was good. On par with regular broadcast from what I saw.
Old 01-19-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you can download The Beast (A&E Patrick Swayze) in HD for free. Do that and see what you think.
Old 01-19-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys. That Apple TV is looking better and better...hopefully Apple has an upgrade planned so I can get rid of my DVR.
Check into Boxee on an AppleTV. That might push you even closer.
Old 01-19-09, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Check into Boxee on an AppleTV. That might push you even closer.
I signed up to beta test Boxee...just haven't gotten to it yet. Have you tried it? Opinions?
Old 01-19-09, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I was hoping the same, but if you think about it, that kinda kills the iTunes business model for tv shows for them. Why would anyone buy that 30 Rock episode they missed? The AppleTV like a Tivo would have already recorded it for free. I'm quite sure Apple could blow Tivo's interface away (I love my Tivo but I hate the menus) so I hope it does happen one day.
My beef with AppleTV is it need a tuner in it and then I was sold. Presently, if you want to do something like that you need a Mac Mini and EyeTV and you can do it. But that requires two purchases.

My other beef is the fact that Apple forced everyone to use iTunes purchases on it. Bullshit...I have a ton of stuff (like MST3K DVD from DAP Central) that doesn't comply to the "iTunes standard". They need to remove that.
Old 01-19-09, 04:23 PM

My beef with AppleTV is it need a tuner in it and then I was sold. Presently, if you want to do something like that you need a Mac Mini and EyeTV and you can do it. But that requires two purchases.

My other beef is the fact that Apple forced everyone to use iTunes purchases on it. Bullshit...I have a ton of stuff (like MST3K DVD from DAP Central) that doesn't comply to the "iTunes standard". They need to remove that.
Actually, you can convert your own DVDs and put them on the AppleTV. They have to meet the format specifications, but they do NOT have to be purchased from iTunes. Handbrake has a handy "AppleTV" preset that works perfectly, I've converted quite a few of my TV shows on DVD and put them on my AppleTV.

As for the lack of tuner, I just buy the Season Passes for the shows I watch from iTunes, and they automatically download and show up on my AppleTV. No worries about signal strength, recording conflicts, did I remember to set up a recording. . .
Old 01-19-09, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by meglet
Actually, you can convert your own DVDs and put them on the AppleTV. They have to meet the format specifications, but they do NOT have to be purchased from iTunes. Handbrake has a handy "AppleTV" preset that works perfectly, I've converted quite a few of my TV shows on DVD and put them on my AppleTV.

As for the lack of tuner, I just buy the Season Passes for the shows I watch from iTunes, and they automatically download and show up on my AppleTV. No worries about signal strength, recording conflicts, did I remember to set up a recording. . .
Handbreak is a great app...but that just is more work when Apple can simply end the madness and open it up. It is total bullshit not letting the consumer play whatever they want...regardless of how they got it.

But a tuner would put it over the top. And there would be no monthly fee.