TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights -- Season 3 Finale -- "Tomorrow Blues" -- 1/14/09

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- Season 3 Finale -- "Tomorrow Blues" -- 1/14/09

Originally Posted by DJariya
God damn, your mean when it comes to Matt's grandma.
I second that. The relationship between the two has always been my favorite part of the show. Matt could have and possibly should have been more selfish. The writers gave him a reward for being devoted to grandma, a look from Julie that showed she was equally devoted to him. All the scenes with Julie, Matt or Grandma were amazing.

And the final moment was perfect. This episode really felt like a series finale and I suspect that Katims did this as a gift to the loyal viewers.
Old 01-17-09, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,702 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
I second that. The relationship between the two has always been my favorite part of the show. Matt could have and possibly should have been more selfish. The writers gave him a reward for being devoted to grandma, a look from Julie that showed she was equally devoted to him. All the scenes with Julie, Matt or Grandma were amazing.

And the final moment was perfect. This episode really felt like a series finale and I suspect that Katims did this as a gift to the loyal viewers.
Couldn't have said it better myself. First and foremost, the show is about the characters and relationships. I think Matt's relationship with his Grandma was very realistic and essential to his character in the show and his growth as a young man.
Old 01-17-09, 12:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Honestly, I think the reason they kept Matt around was because he has connections and strong storylines with Julie and Landry. With Coach leaving Dillon, they still need connections with those characters. Keeping Matt around allows them to still follow those characters strongly.
I imagine they will have the Taylor family transfer to East Dillion along with Landry. They "re-organized" the boundries a few episodes back so I would hope that Landry would be on the East side...especially since he was not a stronger football character until a few episodes later (last week) so he may have been sacraficed.
Old 04-10-09, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump

For all you NBC Viewers, the season finale airs tonight.

Excellent episode and a solid finale.

Looking forward to season 4 this fall!! (on Directv)
Old 04-10-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 429 Likes on 310 Posts

Its been such an amazing season, and will be getting the dvd in May.
Old 04-10-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God, I love this show.
It was better the second time around.

The Redneck wedding was perfect.
Mindy's dress was priceless.
The tux's were also perfect.
The church band was amazing as was the wedding band.
I'm glad that Billy has some sense in him to know that Tim needs to go to school, or he'll turn out like him.
(although, now that they're coming back.. I have a feeling he's going to drop out.)

I never understood why Buddy Garrity didn't speak up for Coach.
I also didn't understand why the football team didn't show up and show their
support.

Loved Matt and his grandmother.. but I'm kinda bummed that he's decided not to go to college. He'll be stuck in Dillon forever.

I remember this episode went pretty much the full hour on Directv. I'll have to check NBC.com for the deleted scenes.
Old 04-10-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thik Matt will stick around and go to a local college. I knew he had trouble letting go of his grandma. I thought it was great to see Matt and Julie are going to stay together for now. Such a great season, sad I have to wait until January of next year for season four.
Old 04-11-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Season. Up to season 1 standards for me. Can't wait till S4.

Best line of the night was shared between coach and his wife about what they were doing at the wedding. I thought that was hilarious, because as a viewer, i was wondering why they were there as well.
Old 04-11-09, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldnt care if East Dillon only won one game next season as long as they beat the Dillon Panthers. I thought the whole point of the McCoy's moving to Dillon was for Coach Taylor to coach him. Glad it is coming back for another 26 episodes though. Going to be a long wait until January when i can see a new episode.
Old 04-11-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

What a horrible white trash wedding. It was so perfect complete with the "band"

Makes no sense that a school that's been to State's twice in the last 3 years would replace the coach with a first year coach.
Old 04-11-09, 12:59 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Great finale. I loved both scenes with the Riggins bros. -- when their truck broke down and Billy's speech to Tim after the wedding.

Great closing shot of Coach on the run-down East Dillon field.
Old 04-11-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

Makes no sense that a school that's been to State's twice in the last 3 years would replace the coach with a first year coach.
It's all about money and politics.

Looking forward to the next two seasons, but without Tyra and Lyla this show is going to be nothing but a sausage fest. No eye candy at all!
Old 04-11-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I was sure the admissions guy at the college was gonna imply that Lyla had to sleep with him to get in ! oh well
Maybe if it was a fictional school, but do you really think they would have been able to advance a storyline like that using UT as the setting? That would have been sue city there.
Old 04-11-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Liked most of the finale. Matt going that far away to school never really made sense to me. It seemed out of character. The first scene in the nursing home was a bit heartbreaking.

Conversely, Riggins going to college is a storyline pre-destined to fail. Especially with Taylor Kitsch coming back full time for next year. It's still pretty unreasonable for him to even have the grades to get into college.

On the other hand...why was Buddy Garrity at the wedding? His little moments there with Angela Collette just rang a little odd. Unlike some of the show runners I still remember things that happened in season one. It will be interesting if Buddy will be more loyal to the Dillon Panthers or to Coach Taylor next year.
Old 04-11-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Looking forward to the next two seasons, but without Tyra and Lyla this show is going to be nothing but a sausage fest. No eye candy at all!
The Taylor women will still be a part of the next two seasons, besides I am sure they will find a way to introduce a few other female characters.
Old 04-11-09, 06:12 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm wondering why/how I missed these eps in January. I have my DVR set to record new episodes.

Coach got screwed. Gonna miss Lyla and Tyra next season.
Old 04-11-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DAC
I'm wondering why/how I missed these eps in January. I have my DVR set to record new episodes.

Coach got screwed. Gonna miss Lyla and Tyra next season.
Well, because they aired on Directv channel 101. Your NBC season pass would not have caught them.
Old 04-11-09, 06:51 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ahhhh, thanks.
Old 04-14-09, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The Taylor women will still be a part of the next two seasons, besides I am sure they will find a way to introduce a few other female characters.
Well, they can always have Julie hook up with Landry's bass player.
Old 06-18-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Best line of the night was shared between coach and his wife about what they were doing at the wedding. I thought that was hilarious, because as a viewer, i was wondering why they were there as well.
I also said the same thing. But i've said that a lot throughout the run of this show. It seems like EVERYONE is always at the same party, or the same restaurant, at the same time. Yet the town is big enough to support 2 high schools?

but what an amazing season. great send-offs for Smash and Street. a tremendous rebound from season 2 (which wasn't bad, just had bad storylines. The acting was still top notch).

And i'll go ahead and say it - coach and mrs. coach are the best husband/wife in TV history. EVER.
Old 06-23-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Finally watched the entire season. Deleted scenes/storylines on the dvd show that Buddy offered to go be a booster at East Dillon with Coach, which seemed really odd, but he said "the well is poisoned" in Dillon. They also show Coach declaring that it was because of Buddy's shaninigans that East Dillon wouldn't have any players anyway. Also, the Coach Taylor actually mentioned to his wife how odd it was that they were at the wedding since they didn't even know Billy Riggins, and Tami says that they hold them in high regard.

About the East Dillon thing... what I thought would be the deal breaker is that the same committee that fired him was offering him the other job, and I wasn't sure his pride could take that.

If he does take that job, I'm thinking that someone is going to come down from above and reset the boundaries of the districts... I don't think I want to see him coaching a team of rejects who magically win against the runner up Dillon Panthers.
Old 06-23-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

And i'll go ahead and say it - coach and mrs. coach are the best husband/wife in TV history. EVER.
No disagreements here.
Old 06-23-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If he does take that job, I'm thinking that someone is going to come down from above and reset the boundaries of the districts... I don't think I want to see him coaching a team of rejects who magically win against the runner up Dillon Panthers.

That kind of echoes what I said:

Originally Posted by Red Dog

I figure if there is a S4, you'll see JD's mom and dad separate and she takes JD and moves to a residence on the East Dillion side of the line.