Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Chuck -- "Chuck Versus Santa Claus" -- 12/15/08

Chuck S2

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

It's not so merry on Christmas Eve when an amateur criminal raids the Buy More, taking Chuck and the gang hostage. To protect Chuck, Sarah and Casey attempt to storm the store. But they're out of luck with Chuck---he'd rather stay than leave his significant others behind.

Last new episode of 2008. Will return Monday February 2nd.
Old 12-15-08, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
I spent my entire vacation watching Chuck last week, starting with the first season. I'm all caught up, just in time for a six week break.

This is my new favorite show... at least until Lost, 24 and FNL return.
Old 12-15-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to say, even before this episode airs, that I LOVE this show.

My wife was complaining that all we watch are depressing shows (CSI, SVU, Criminal Minds, etc) and then there is Chuck (which she refuses to watch).

Consistently witty and amusing with enough action to keep you interested. It really feels like a modern day Get Smart.
Old 12-15-08, 12:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has become one of the shows I look forward to the most. It may not necessarily be the "best" show, but it's probably the most purely entertaining and enjoyable.

I really hope it's not a part of the "Jay Leno Massacre" that's going to happen next year...
Old 12-15-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Consistently witty and amusing with enough action to keep you interested. It really feels like a modern day Get Smart.
Good call. I actually watched the Steve Carell movie last night. Good stuff. I find Chuck to be very similar to Reaper and the easy comparison is Alias (at least, first season).
Old 12-15-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Can't wait. I'm sad to see the six week hiatus, but whatever...its still awesome.
Old 12-15-08, 07:21 PM

Ned Ryerson
Old 12-15-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was that Carl playing yet another cop?
Old 12-15-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
Where's Urkel?
Good driver license picture
Old 12-15-08, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This show consistently brings it.

When Chuck gives Sarah his mother's bracelet, it's the ultra-touching moment. And then, the only way Sarah can repay him is to keep his secret hidden by killing Mauser. (Not that there wasn't a business reason to do so as well, but you know that wasn't first and foremost in her mind.)

There are some good shows on TV, but I look forward to none as much as each new episode of Chuck. (The fact that Yvonne Strahovski is the hottest thing going on TV doesn't hurt a bit either, but that's not what keeps me tuning in each week.)
Old 12-15-08, 08:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
lol... fantastic episode. all the 'Die Hard' references were fantastic.
Old 12-15-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Not only was he playing a cop, his name was Al Powell, his character in Die Hard.
Other Die Hard references - the christmas/action theme music.
The twinkies.
"Hang in there, Partner."
All we were missing was an FBI agent or two named Johnson.
Old 12-15-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ned Ryerson and and all the Die Hard references were great, but another Spies Like Us reference? Pure awesome. The name Lt. Mauser* sounded familiar for some reason. Anyone else? Also the actor playing Ned was channeling Rick Moranis to a t.

I am surprised to see Lester dressed as an elf considering he put the kibosh on Big Mike calling last year's Holiday party a Christmas party.

*found it. Mauser is from Police Academy.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-15-08 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Not only was he playing a cop, his name was Al Powell, his character in Die Hard.
The twinkies.
Yeah great nods to Die Hard.
Old 12-15-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Ned Ryerson and and all the Die Hard references were great, but another Spies Like Us reference? Pure awesome. The name Lt. Mauser* sounded familiar for some reason. Anyone else? Also the actor playing Ned was channeling Rick Moranis to a t.

I am surprised to see Lester dressed as an elf considering he put the kibosh on Big Mike calling last year's Holiday party a Christmas party.

*found it. Mauser is from Police Academy.

"Captain Mauser!"
Old 12-16-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that may have been the most drama in any one episode and they did a really great job of it. They just gave a great big raspberry to all the people who say it should just be a half hour sitcom at the BuyMore.
Old 12-16-08, 06:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm not sure there's been one episode of this show that *hasn't* been extremely enjoyable on at least one level. The hiatus is going to kill me.
Old 12-16-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The twinkies.
I kept waiting for someone to say "Yippie-Kayay".
Old 12-16-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What else can I say but next to Dexter, this is my favorite show on TV... Another great episode.
Old 12-16-08, 07:43 AM

I loved the Die Hard references. I'm not so sold on the "dramatic" conclusion. First of all, Mauser basically egged her into shooting him and I didn't really see a reason why except to explain to the audience why Sarah shot him (though I guess it could have been to keep from being captured and spilling info on Fulcrum). Secondly, I don't think that Sarah's actions were any more brutal or cold than others she's done in the show, so I'm not sure why Chuck is now suddenly cold towards her ... he knows she's a killer and has seen her kill before.
Old 12-16-08, 08:20 AM

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I loved the Die Hard references. I'm not so sold on the "dramatic" conclusion. First of all, Mauser basically egged her into shooting him and I didn't really see a reason why except to explain to the audience why Sarah shot him (though I guess it could have been to keep from being captured and spilling info on Fulcrum). Secondly, I don't think that Sarah's actions were any more brutal or cold than others she's done in the show, so I'm not sure why Chuck is now suddenly cold towards her ... he knows she's a killer and has seen her kill before.
I was upset that Sarah lied to Chuck about how she handled the situation. Why did she feel she couldn't just tell Chuck that she offed the guy and the reason for doing so?
Old 12-16-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
Yes - in fact he was playing the SAME cop. Al Powell.

The twinkies.
Don't forget the twinkee reference as we see both Al and Big Mike chowing on them.

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I was upset that Sarah lied to Chuck about how she handled the situation. Why did she feel she couldn't just tell Chuck that she offed the guy and the reason for doing so?
And THAT is what is different about this killing to Chuck that changes how he perceives Sarah.

The one truly goofy thing was the whole chase sequence in the tree lot. Where did all that fog come from? And what kind of tree lot would be THAT full of trees and no people on Christmas Eve? And how in the world did experts like Casey and Sarah miss hitting the Fulcrum dude as he was getting out of the ambulance. And how really was this "Versus Santa Claus"?
Old 12-16-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
Secondly, I don't think that Sarah's actions were any more brutal or cold than others she's done in the show, so I'm not sure why Chuck is now suddenly cold towards her ... he knows she's a killer and has seen her kill before.
It probably like relationships when someone has a past and you think that things are now different or changed.
Old 12-16-08, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wouldn't Ned (who is in Fulcrum) spill as soon as he leaves the BuyMore? I was under the impression he know Chuck was the intersect.
Old 12-16-08, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by BlooQKazoo
Another great episode for Chuck. This show consistently gets it right week after week. The only complaint is that why is Chuck so worried about Sarah shooting the guy? He knows she was just doing what was in the best interest of Chuck and her mission. It just seemed a bit contrived to all of a sudden have him care about her shooting someone.
IIRC, I don't think Sarah has ever killed anyone in front of Chuck before - and obviously the only reason the guy was killed was because Sarah was not only protecting Chuck, but that she also has feelings for him. I think all of that kinda just hit Chuck in the face.

Also, I get the impression Sarah does not like Christmas for some reason...something in her past?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.