Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 12/13/08 - H: Hugh Laurie - MG: Kanye West

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
We get car lot infomercial. I'd say lucky you, but the truth is I'd rather watch the car lot infomercial than Extra.
Hell ya thank God for the Directv Premium Package.
Old 12-14-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how many more episodes does SNL have this season when it returns in Jan?
Old 12-14-08, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beavis69
I guess ill be on the otherside and say i dug the Kanye performances. To me hes not trying to sing, so i dont get what yall are talking about. Its obviously a processed voice and him basically talking and yelling, but hes got alot of passion. As far as the show, i havent watched in awhile, but i thought it was ok. New York blind gov had me rolling along with a few more.
He isn't trying to sing? Bullshit Conan interviewed him and asked him about the autotune. Kanye said it makes him have to "sing more perfect" Around the 8 minute mark here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoMdjKyEew

Kanye singing was the funniest part of the show that I saw. I shut it off before Weekend Update.
Old 12-14-08, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Tonight's ep was ok.

The Bronx women are funny as hell to me. They're probably funny to me because that's the stereotype I have in my head of East Coast women.
Old 12-14-08, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I liked the Bronx Beat skit but the blind governor in WU was the funniest especially when Amy was trying to say her goodbyes and he pops up in the screen.

Hated it the SNL Digital Short about the stool softeners.

For some reason, I loved that Christmas dinner skit in which people are just miserable with each other.
Old 12-14-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I came in a half hour late. I did not know the show started at 10:30. I hope I missed something excellent.

I hope Kanye West has real, honest friends who will be kind enough to tell him he's a horrible, horrible singer. Dancing in front of the two screens setup was cool though, right? Like Bono did years ago.

Hugh Laurie is a funny man. I can't get my girlfriend to sit through "A Bit Of Fry & Laurie" but she'll watch this. Um.

The digital short felt like it was written in less time then it took to watch it. Its one joke was hardly funny.

Lamps...? Some of these sketches make me wonder, while they're building these nice facades, making the actors up, building lamp costumes, practicing the choreography or whatever, doesn't anyone think "why are we wasting our time with this sketch?"

Weekend Update was funny but needed more headlines. The Blagojevich jokes were funny as hell. Living in Illinois I thought I had heard every joke about his hair, but "it's like you're wearing a toupee which is also wearing a toupee" had me rolling, as did "it looks like you grew your eyebrows out and combed them back".

CIRCUIT CITY IS CLOSING BUY NOW 60% OFF!
Old 12-14-08, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Weekend Update was funny but needed more headlines. The Blagojevich jokes were funny as hell. Living in Illinois I thought I had heard every joke about his hair, but "it's like you're wearing a toupee which is also wearing a toupee" had me rolling, as did "it looks like you grew your eyebrows out and combed them back".
Then you missed a good opening skit about Blagojevich and what happened in his hearing.
Old 12-14-08, 09:43 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I liked the Bronx Beat skit but the blind governor in WU was the funniest especially when Amy was trying to say her goodbyes and he pops up in the screen.
I liked this Bronx Beat and how they swooned over the British butcher. I enjoy these ladies in this sketch and this sketch only. Otherwise I can't stand Maya or Amy (except for the latter's Kristen character).

Buh-bye Amy. Don't let your career hit you in the butt on the way out the door.

Hated it the SNL Digital Short about the stool softeners.
It was telegraphed at the beginning that they were probably laxatives, when they said that it was from another branch. But when FAN came out and announced what they were the bit died... until Jason tried to reach out and get one knowing what it was.

For some reason, I loved that Christmas dinner skit in which people are just miserable with each other.
That was the highlight of the show for me. I loved that bit. Especially when Wiig would get up and try to leave.

Kanye needs to go... now. Ugh.
Old 12-14-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I guess ill be on the otherside and say i dug the Kanye performances. To me hes not trying to sing, so i dont get what yall are talking about.
Huh!? The hell he wasn't. The second song he WAS singing at the beginning. Or trying to anyway. There was no mic processing during that. Which showed he can't carry a tune.
Old 12-14-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I found the entire thing disappointing. I laughed, maybe three or four times the entire episode. I actually liked the Bronx skit on the whole, though it went on a bit longer than it should have. There were a couple good moments in the dead cat's Christmas letter skit, too, but it also went on entirely too long. The singing lamps were absurd, but as an [adult swim] fan, I was willing to play along. Given Hugh Laurie's comedic ability, I found the entire episode disappointing.
Old 12-14-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
"Governor, what do you have against New Jersey?"

"Unfortunately, a southern border."

Old 12-14-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I came in a half hour late. I did not know the show started at 10:30. I hope I missed something excellent.

CIRCUIT CITY IS CLOSING BUY NOW 60% OFF!

snl has been on the same time for, what is it now 35 years?
Old 12-14-08, 01:47 PM
Cool New Member

-I didn't like the lack of Bill Hader but Armisen and Sudeikis were pretty good.
-Everything after Weekend Update was pretty weak but I still laughed a lot during the first 40 minutes.
-I like Amy Poehler, she had her moments. I'm glad she got to do one last "Really" skit.
-Kanye West has always been overrated.
-I wish Abby Elliot got to do more. For some reason, I find her very attractive. Especially with the pigtails from last week.
-I hate it when they sing songs and it's not funny.
-Hugh Laurie wasn't used to his full potential
-I still like SNL
Old 12-14-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Yes! I found myself totally into that bit. I didn't like the singing part but I got how it fit into the bit. I also loved how they kept screaming at Wiig's character to sit down.
Old 12-14-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was absolutely howling at the cold open and Armison's impression of Gov. Patterson. How this impression wasn't given air time before I don't know. Maybe they finally felt like it was over the line. I guess since IL has lowered the bar consireably for official conduct, Patterson is now fair game.
Old 12-14-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Halfway Crook
-I didn't like the lack of Bill Hader but Armisen and Sudeikis were pretty good.
-Everything after Weekend Update was pretty weak but I still laughed a lot during the first 40 minutes.
-I like Amy Poehler, she had her moments. I'm glad she got to do one last "Really" skit.
-Kanye West has always been overrated.
-I wish Abby Elliot got to do more. For some reason, I find her very attractive. Especially with the pigtails from last week.
-I hate it when they sing songs and it's not funny.
-Hugh Laurie wasn't used to his full potential
-I still like SNL
Agree on all points. I happen to love Poehler, but I look forward to her new show.
Old 12-14-08, 04:37 PM

I guess ill be on the otherside and say i dug the Kanye performances. To me hes not trying to sing, so i dont get what yall are talking about. Its obviously a processed voice and him basically talking and yelling, but hes got alot of passion.
Whatever you want to call it, was it supposed to sound as off-key as an American Idol performance? I like some of his other songs, but 'Love Lockdown' sounded so terrible that I felt embarrassed for him.
Old 12-14-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emptysky
Whatever you want to call it, was it supposed to sound as off-key as an American Idol performance? I like some of his other songs, but 'Love Lockdown' sounded so terrible that I felt embarrassed for him.
Funny thing is, West probably thought he nailed the performance. He's such an egotistical prick. Fucking hate him.
Old 12-14-08, 08:29 PM
Suspended

http://www.buzzfeed.com/blakeley/kan...gital-enha-3jp
Old 12-14-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I absolutely love Kanye although the ego shit has been absurd. Oh well when he puts out amazing albums like he does I can ignore the rest.

And can we please stop with people coming in here just to say how they hate the show and it should be canceled? If you didn't like an episode thats fine but seriously enough with the fucking thread crapping. I get it, your too "cool" to like SNL.
Old 12-14-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce

And can we please stop with people coming in here just to say how they hate the show and it should be canceled? If you didn't like an episode thats fine but seriously enough with the fucking thread crapping. I get it, your too "cool" to like SNL.
Um, this is a discussion group. Pro and con. I still watch the show because I hope with all my heart it somehow gets better. But if I feels the episode stinks, or state that it's time to call it a day, I will.....that's my opinion. It has nothing to do with "coolness".
Old 12-14-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
people please stop watching this awful show. let it be cancelled!
why there is a weekly thread for this show but not for other awfull shows...i will never know.
This is what I was referring to.

You can talk negatively about an episode, I wasn't definitely not saying you had to post only positive things.
Old 12-15-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
jesus fuck that episode sucked start to finish, save the political & weekend update stuff

what a way to end 2008
Old 12-15-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
no sense of humor here....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081215/...v/snl_paterson

ALBANY, N.Y. – A "Saturday Night Live" skit portraying New York's blind governor as a bumbling leader didn't get a laugh from Gov. David Paterson.

Paterson's office said the skit ridiculed people with physical disabilities and implied that disabled people are incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities.

"The governor is sure that 'Saturday Night Live,' with all of its talent, can find a way to be funny without being offensive," Paterson spokesman Errol Cockfield said in a statement Sunday. "Knowing the governor, he might even have some suggestions himself."

The skit that aired Saturday featured SNL cast member Fred Armisen as Paterson, who must appoint someone to replace Sen. Hillary Clinton. Armisen said he has three criteria for filling the job: economic experience, upstate influence and someone who is disabled and unprepared for the job — like himself. He held up a chart illustrating the state's job losses upside down.

National Federation of the Blind spokesman Chris Danielsen said the portrayal suggesting Paterson as befuddled and disoriented because of his blindness is "absolutely wrong."

No one from NBC, which produces SNL, could be reached for comment early Monday morning.
Old 12-15-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyp007
Paterson's office said the skit ridiculed people with physical disabilities and implied that disabled people are incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities.
This is untrue?

An ok episode. After this week I'm officially just watching the opening and skipping to Weekend Update. If there is anything else good on the show I'll watch it after hearing about it here first. I just can't sit through the bad skits anymore.

The show doesn't need to be cancelled. It just needs new writers. Just like The Simpsons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.