Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DTV Transition ............. a la carte?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hearing that once the DTV transition is over, cable "a la carte" will start to become a reality. We will only pay for the channels we want and not pay for the ones we don't.
I think this can be a good thing because TV channels will need to appease the viewer and not the advertisers like they do now.

Has anyone else heard more information on this?
Old 11-25-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
It would be horrible because niche channels like Sci-Fi wouldn't be able to make enough money to stay in business. You'd probably end up paying more then you pay now for less choice.
Old 11-26-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Don't know why DTV transition would have anything to do with cable a la carte.

And I agree with Timber.
Old 11-26-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would love to have this... but the cable company will find some way to charge 29.95 for the basic channels
Old 11-26-08, 09:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A la carte cable is one of those utopian ideas that just wouldn't work in the real world. People like to think that under such a system their bill would go way down, but the reality is you would probably be paying $3 a month per channel on average if they ever decided to go to this. The channels would still get packaged, like the only way you could get ESPN is through an ESPN package of all their channels for $15 a month. To get CNN you would probably have to buy a Turner package that also included TNT, TBS, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, TruTV, etc.
Old 11-26-08, 09:56 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
To get CNN you would probably have to buy a Turner package that also included TNT, TBS, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, TruTV, etc.
Which is currently how cable operators have to buy programming. A la carte would mean they could buy only those channels they think would be profitable. After all, the average cable subscriber gets a minimum of 85 channels but watches only 16 of them.

I'd also like to see an obverse form or pricing explored: make all cable programming available to all subscribers all the time, then charge them by what they really watch.

As such bloggers have note, a la carte in the form of free TV programming on cable is already available. Providers will have to figure out a more equitable payment system or they will likely find themselves in the same situation as record companies in the very near future.
Old 11-26-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd think ESPN would cost more then $3. They'd have to pass the cost of the NFL, Nascar, NBA and whatever else they have to a smaller pool of people.
Old 11-26-08, 10:23 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
I'd think ESPN would cost more then $3. They'd have to pass the cost of the NFL, Nascar, NBA and whatever else they have to a smaller pool of people.
That's my point... the average, smaller niche channels would be $3, while the ESPNs and bigger name channels would be much more. Nobody would save any money, because you would be paying the same or more for your 5-10 favorite channels as you are for 40 or 50 channels now. A channel like ESPN currently makes something like $2.50 per subscriber a month now, while smaller channels make something like 25 cents. But without the base mass cable audience, ALL the channels would have to charge much more to survive, big or small.
Old 11-26-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about we go smaller and make every PROGRAM a la carte as pay-per-view? Then we'd only have to pay specifically for what we watch. I'd still get to keep Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone, and we'd probably see the death of Wife Swap. Who'd really pay to watch any reality crap? I'd pay for commercial free programming. Hell I do it for HBO. And Friday Night Lights on the 101 commercial free was heaven!
Old 11-26-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Who'd really pay to watch any reality crap?
You really think no body would pay for Wife Swap? Hell I'd pay for Big Brother (and quite a bit of people already do with the live feeds), Survivor, Amazing Race and a few other reality shows. It just boggles my mind that no body thinks reality TV has an audience.
Old 11-26-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Better package would be say for $30, I get to pick 40 or 50 channels. That way, no more fucking useless home shopping network, religious channels, music channels.
Old 11-26-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by zuffy
That way, no more fucking useless home shopping network
The shopping channels make your bill lower, not higher.
Old 11-27-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
That's my point... the average, smaller niche channels would be $3, while the ESPNs and bigger name channels would be much more. Nobody would save any money, because you would be paying the same or more for your 5-10 favorite channels as you are for 40 or 50 channels now. A channel like ESPN currently makes something like $2.50 per subscriber a month now, while smaller channels make something like 25 cents. But without the base mass cable audience, ALL the channels would have to charge much more to survive, big or small.
However, some people might actually like that, if they don't want certain cable channels to get their support. For instance, people who have strong feelings about "smut" on TV would be happy not to support MTV on principle.
Old 11-27-08, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
For instance, people who have strong feelings about "smut" on TV would be happy not to support MTV on principle.
I'd love to be able to not support MTV. Very low-IQ programming.
Old 11-27-08, 10:21 AM

What if we still had packages, except there were like 20-25 different packages to choose from (some big, some smaller). Along with that, the viewer could still pick and choose as many, or as little, single channels to purchase a la carte. This would give the customer a lot of choices, keep the prices similar, smaller channels could be included in the packages, people can choose what they don't want to pay for, and single channels would still be able to be purchased seperately.

I think the problem now is the option doesn't exist to purchase channels sperately. Packages are a good thing, so keep them, but also add the a la carte option to supplement the viewers choices.
Old 11-27-08, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awil1026
I'd love to be able to not support MTV. Very low-IQ programming.
Going lower every minute. Have anyone seen the Paris Hilton and the Icky Twins shows? Those have to be the 2 most stupid shows ever. It shows you how bad the culture is going.
Old 11-27-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Gutch220
What if we still had packages, except there were like 20-25 different packages to choose from (some big, some smaller).
People's heads would explode from trying to decipher what packages or combination of packages would offer them the best deal for the channels they want. Increasing customer confusion usually isn't a priority for any company.
Old 11-27-08, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Going lower every minute. Have anyone seen the Paris Hilton and the Icky Twins shows? Those have to be the 2 most stupid shows ever. It shows you how bad the culture is going.
My sister has MTV on a lot and I've seen previews for the Paris show; I didn't have any hope or optimism for the progression of society, anyways. That's all I can say.
Old 11-27-08, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
People's heads would explode from trying to decipher what packages or combination of packages would offer them the best deal for the channels they want. Increasing customer confusion usually isn't a priority for any company.
You are absolutely right. It'd be very hard to pull that off, from a marketing standpoint.
Old 11-27-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23
Those have to be the 2 most stupid shows ever. It shows you how bad the culture is going.
Having just watched the Star Wars Holiday Special, and the vintage commercials for other TV shows it contained, I can say with some certainty that stupid shows have always existed. There's just more of them now because there's more channels. There's also more good TV as well.
Old 11-28-08, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.

It's actually really easy. No more than a brochure of choices. If someones "head explodes" from a simple brochure then TV is the least of their problems.
Many of the channels would be on more than one package, and you would be picking from types, of channels basically.
Old 11-28-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's actually really easy...Many of the channels would be on more than one package, and you would be picking from types, of channels basically.
That's the problem right there. If one channel is on more than one package, and I order multiple packages, does that mean I'm paying for that one channel more than once? What if I only want a few channels on a package? Is it cheaper with the package or a la carte? Which channels should I pay for with a package, and which should I pay a la carte for?

Offering multiple packages would make picking a cable package about as fun as doing taxes.
Old 11-28-08, 09:54 PM

It's not supposed to be fun, and no, you wouldn't be charged twice for a channel. Basically, the packages are insentives to order many channels at a group discount.

I'm telling you, only having packages, or only having "a la carte" won't work as well as combining the two. I've never heard of people complaing because they have too many choices.
Old 11-28-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not supposed to be fun, and no, you wouldn't be charged twice for a channel.
How would that work? Would I get a credit for the package that has it the second time? Would the credit be for the full a la carte price? Would it be for the price of the package divided by the number of channels in the package? Would it be for the a la carte price minus the the overall discount percentage of the package?

I've never heard of people complaing because they have too many choices.
Oh really? Take your pick:

http://knowledge.emory.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1005
Consumer Overload: Why Too Many Choices Can Chase Away Customers

"...Consumers, faced with so many choices, are bailing out because the process is too complex for them.”
http://blog.mindvalleylabs.com/stop-...y-choices/218/
Consumer research shows that providing too much choice will reduce sales.
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...ustomizat.html
Procter & Gamble’s decision to kill its mass customization experiment, Reflect, a highly touted pilot in mass customization of beauty productsn caught my attention because of one , I thought, ridiculous number.

The business offered more than 10,000 shades of lip gloss..

Consumers, it seems to me, want choices, but also simplicity and clarity. We don’t have time, or interest, in perusing 10,000 shades of lip gloss.
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/planning...vestments.html
Study: Too Many 401(k) Choices Can Lead to More Risky Investments

..the "menu effect," as the researchers are calling it, may be causing inexperienced investors to take on more risk than they are comfortable with or meant to without their being aware of it.

http://seniors-site.com/index/Articl...rams+Confusing
..Lester quotes Marlene Brantley, a pharmacist from Arnaudville, La., who notes that it was easier to handle problems caused by Hurricane Katrina than to understand the new Medicare system.

Brantley notes that there are “too many plans and too many lists of available drugs, forcing pharmacists to spend a lot of time trying to determine if people are eligible for a particular plan.”

... Six in 10 people who took part in the poll said they have noticed no significant savings.
http://www.physorg.com/news127404469.html
Too many choices -- good or bad -- can be mentally exhausting

“There is a significant shift in the mental programming that is made at the time of choosing, whether the person acts on it at that time or sometime in the future. Therefore, simply the act of choosing can cause mental fatigue,” says Vohs. “Making choices can be difficult and taxing, and there is a personal price to choosing.”
http://esciencenews.com/articles/200...spoil.research
The more choices people get, the less consistent they are in making those choices
Old 11-29-08, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Freedom of choice is what you've got, freedom from choice is what you want.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.