The Shield *SERIES FINALE* "Family Meeting" 11/25

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Shield *SERIES FINALE* "Family Meeting" 11/25

Originally Posted by tbird2340
No huge difference??

So if you killed your best friend vs. killing someone who is a co-worker who you know is going behind your back, lying to you, and trying to get you imprisoned, that's the same thing?

Sure, the end game is the same (both people dead, both murder), but they surely aren't the same thing..
Forgetting the obvious that they're both murder, it's also the same because both were done for selfish reasons. The difference is that one could argue that Terry's killing was more selfish and the Lem killing was more unavoidable.

Remember, Shane was thinking at the time that Lem had flipped. He tried to get Lem to Mexico, he didn't want to go. They had more outs with Terry. Terry had just started his investigation. Vic could have played it clean until he could get Terry off their back (or done the side business behind his back). Instead, he killed him.

I get the difference that Shane was best friends with the guy he killed while Vic and Terry were barely friends. That's just not a 'huge' difference to me. Not enough for me to say that what Vic did is better or more excusable than what Shane did.
Old 09-26-12, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird2340
No huge difference??

So if you killed your best friend vs. killing someone who is a co-worker who you know is going behind your back, lying to you, and trying to get you imprisoned, that's the same thing?

Sure, the end game is the same (both people dead, both murder), but they surely aren't the same thing..
Both killed someone in the end. THe same argument you use for Vic's killing can be applied to Shane's kill as well. Lem running away, going behind the teams back. The bottom line is neither is better or worse than the other.
Old 09-27-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by milwaukee_mike
Another dropped storyline I would have liked to see play out to conclussion was Dutch's stalker/serial killer side. The scene with the stray cat was intense. Did he kill the cat just to get inside a killer's mind, knowing what it is like to see something take it's last living breath; or was he playing out a fantasy and did that build to even more desire to kill?
Yes. He was trying to understand and maybe experience what William Faulks told him about killing. Dutch is not a serial killer he's just an extremely dedicated detective/profiler.
There was no dropped storyline here.

If he had turned out to be a killer, it would quite frankly have ruined the show - at least for me.
Old 09-27-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I was disappointed that Dutch never got to bang Tina. Fucking Steve McGarrett got a piece of her before he got canned by Patty Hewes.

Oh and regarding Tina, I was shocked to learn recently that Paula Garces has an 18-year old daughter.
Old 09-27-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was disappointed that Dutch never got to bang Tina. Fucking Steve McGarrett got a piece of her before he got canned by Patty Hewes.

Oh and regarding Tina, I was shocked to learn recently that Paula Garces has an 18-year old daughter.
Damn. I always thought the guy from 5.0 looked familiar.
Old 04-10-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Well I just finished binging on all 7 seasons of The Shield and wow, that was some ride. Mackey didn't get what he deserved (he deserved to be sitting in a jail cell for all the crap he did) but it was a fitting ending for the character. I feel bad that Ronnie is the one who takes the fall for everything but thems the breaks. His only mistake was trusting Mackey in the end and not making a run for it when he had the chance. I spent the last couple seasons wanting Shane to catch a bullet so I wasn't completely broken up by his end but the circumstances were surprising. I was surprised that he took his wife and kid with him and the way he staged the scene was just heartbreaking.

I could have lived without the Andre 3000 storyline in favor anything else. CCH Pounder was just amazing throughout the entire series but the scene between her and Dutch where she lays out her future and then the scene where she confronts Mackey with the suicide note was just top notch.

Solid series finale that tied up a bunch a loose ends but left some things open. I have to pick a less intense show to binge on next.
Old 04-11-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I spent the last couple seasons wanting Shane to catch a bullet so I wasn't completely broken up .
It's funny - between this show and one other
Spoiler:
"The Walking Dead"
, my favorite characters had the name of Shane. And neither Shane ended well in either show.
Old 04-12-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just finished binging on all 7 seasons of The Shield and wow, that was some ride. Mackey didn't get what he deserved (he deserved to be sitting in a jail cell for all the crap he did) but it was a fitting ending for the character. I feel bad that Ronnie is the one who takes the fall for everything but thems the breaks. His only mistake was trusting Mackey in the end and not making a run for it when he had the chance. I spent the last couple seasons wanting Shane to catch a bullet so I wasn't completely broken up by his end but the circumstances were surprising. I was surprised that he took his wife and kid with him and the way he staged the scene was just heartbreaking.

I could have lived without the Andre 3000 storyline in favor anything else. CCH Pounder was just amazing throughout the entire series but the scene between her and Dutch where she lays out her future and then the scene where she confronts Mackey with the suicide note was just top notch.

Solid series finale that tied up a bunch a loose ends but left some things open. I have to pick a less intense show to binge on next.
Just finished it too. Pretty much everything you said.

Loved going through the whole series.
Old 04-12-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Both killed someone in the end. THe same argument you use for Vic's killing can be applied to Shane's kill as well. Lem running away, going behind the teams back. The bottom line is neither is better or worse than the other.
You know, I was re-reading my opinion from a few months ago and I agreed with you back then. Now that I think about it, I think killing Terry was worse than killing Lem. After all, Lem was a criminal. While he may be the one that felt guilty about all the things the Strike Team did, he still did it. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Terry, meanwhile, was one of the good guys. He was trying to bring down criminals and got killed for it.

The only reason I was really upset over Lem's death was because he was willing to take the rap for everything the Strike Team did and would have went to prison (and surely died) without rolling over on them. He was the good guy of the group. Shane didn't know that though so I still feel that what Shane did was as 'right' as what Vic did in the first episode.

I think Ronnie got what he deserved. Again, he was a criminal. Criminals go to jail. Yes, he trusted Vic way too much and yes he had outs and could have gotten away with it but it doesn't change the fact that he willingly took part in criminal activity.

As intriguing as it was to follow the Strike Team around for seven seasons, let's not forget that these were the bad guys. I think that's what made the show so great.
Old 04-12-13, 03:19 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

It's funny that this thread got resurrected, as I also recently did a marathon viewing of the show over the past couple months. I can't imagine if I watched the show in real time having to wait weeks and months between episodes and seasons. Each season flowed smoothly into the next, it felt like one huge continuous story. I had purchased seasons 1 and 2 a couple years back around $18 each, but it wasn't until Amazon had a daily deal for $9.99 that I was able to buy up the rest of the seasons. I loved the show and was sad to see it end. Previously to the Shield, I watched all three seasons of Veronica Mars, and now I'm into Season 2 of Buffy (another show I completely missed while it aired) which all seasons should keep me busy for a few months. I watch one episode a day while riding my exercise bike first thing every morning, something I look forward to because of the shows.
Old 11-11-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Watching Family Meeting was a lot harder the second time around. I have a 3 year old now and the murder suicide and the bodies on the bed were tough. Such a great show.
Old 07-01-16, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished this series for the 3rd time last night.

This episode I think was the most powerful and somber episode of TV I have ever watched.. Had trouble sleeping..

To think Shane thought it would be better to kill his wife, unborn child, and son instead of the consequences.. Unreal.. Just no words...

Claudette reading the note to Vic.. Wow..

I still can't believe Vic turned on Ronnie.. So so sad...
Old 07-02-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember feeling like utter shit when Shane did that back when The Shield aired. Feels like a lifetime ago...... Now being a father of two little ones, I can't imagine how much worse it would feel to rewatch it.

One of the best television shows ever.
Old 07-02-16, 02:42 PM

One of the best series finales ever.
Old 05-12-19, 12:52 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Billings makes a Cameo in this week's episode of SWAT ! awesome !
Old 05-15-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Yup. Ronnie is in the show The Fix too, as of a couple weeks ago. Too bad it's already canceled for a 2nd season.
Old 05-15-19, 08:27 AM

No this wasn't a case of the actor who played Billings being on SWAT, the actual character Detective Steve Billings exactly as from the Shield was in SWAT !

Actually seems fairly hard to believe given the Shield was over a decade ago and the character was about to retire,, but it's happened
Old 05-15-19, 09:02 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-15-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm kind of glad this thread got bumped in light of Game of Thrones' final episodes. This show was tremendous for its entire run. I felt there was a slight drop in quality during the Glenn Close seasons, but still solid overall.(I'd give those seasons a B+ compared to A's for all the other seasons).

I really need to rewatch this show. One of the best of all time.
Old 05-15-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Oh, no shit. I didn't realize he was actually Billings character! Not sure how I missed that.
Old 05-15-19, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm kind of glad this thread got bumped in light of Game of Thrones' final episodes.

I really need to rewatch this show. One of the best of all time.
I would recommend getting the bluray box set which has been released only the last half year. Ton of extras and commentary tracks. Would make rewatching a new experience because you are watching/listening to new material
Old 03-01-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Fantastic Oral History from EW. 20th anniversary this month

https://ew.com/tv/the-shield-oral-history/
The following 3 users liked this post by stingermck:
darkdaze73 (03-01-22), PhantomStranger (03-02-22), Wolf359 (03-01-22)
Old 03-01-22, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Thanks for that link. There was nothing quite like 2008, with watching the final seasons of both this and The Wire week to week (or much earlier in the case of leaked Wire episodes )
Old 03-01-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Great article. May be time for a complete re-watch.
Old 03-02-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Greatest final season in television history. Most shows are on fumes by the sixth or seventh season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.