Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead Like Me: Life After Death (Direct-To-DVD Film) Out On DVD February 17th!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Taken from a post over at the TiVo forums:

Teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDyZB7Udga4

Movie promo special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRb_...eature=related

This was originally slated to come out last July. The film was directed by Stephen Herek (Critters, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Three Musketeers (1993), Mr. Holland's Opus, to name a few) and was written by John Masius and Stephen Godchaux, two writers/executive producers from the series.

Here's the plot synopsis...

Spoiler:
(highlight to read)Set four years after the series ended, Der Waffle Haus has burned down and head reaper Rube has left due to retirement.[3] The remaining reapers meet their new boss Cameron Kane (Henry Ian Cusick), a "slick business man who couldn't care less about helping the newly dead." George (Ellen Muth) reconnects with her sister Reggie (Britt McKillip) when she has to reap the soul of Reggie's new (and secret) boyfriend, Hudson Hart (Jordan Hudyma). Daisy (now played by Sarah Wynter) is attracted to Cameron, who helps her get a role in After the Fall. Daisy, in a bid to gain the leading role, injures the lead actress and due to the stress turns to alcohol, even during the performances.

And yes, there are some cast changes...

Spoiler:
Mandy Patinkin was still a part of the cast of Criminal Minds at the time they filmed. Laura Harris was part of the cast for the now cancelled ABC series Women's Murder Club so she could not be in the film either.

According to Ellen Muth (George), if the DVD sells well enough, MGM is very interested in getting the show picked up once again.
Old 11-24-08, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to this. Hopefully it will tie up some loose ends. If this works out, maybe Brian Fuller can go back to this since Pushing Daisies has been canned.....
Old 11-24-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil
If this works out, maybe Brian Fuller can go back to this since Pushing Daisies has been canned.....
It is rumored he will be working on Heroes. Why returned to a project that has already been cancelled once and closely resembles a show you just got cancelled?
Old 11-24-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Fuller leave the series in the second season as he didn't like where the show was going?
Old 11-24-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Didn't Fuller leave the series in the second season as he didn't like where the show was going?
He left early in the first season. It was indeed due to disagreements over storyline.
Old 11-24-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Actually, it was early in the first season. From Wikipedia:

Bryan Fuller left early in the first season due to conflicts with MGM Television, including disagreement over major script and storyline cuts considered important to the main theme. He stated that the "lack of professionalism... made it really difficult... it was like being at war... they were constantly trying to strong arm me. It was the worst experience of my life." According to Fuller, Showtime canceled the show because of "a loss of quality and a sense the problems would continue."
I remember one of the major story changes he had a problem with was that he wanted George's dad to be a closeted gay man and have an affair with one of his male students. MGM wouldn't have any part of it.
Old 11-24-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Seeing how the show turned out I'm glad he left. That gay subplot sounds awful
Old 11-24-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Seeing how the show turned out I'm glad he left. That gay subplot sounds awful
IMO, most of the family-related subplots were awful anyway. The gay subplot would have been much more interesting than his affair with the female student.
Old 11-25-08, 06:13 AM
Banned

Spoiler:
'Desmond' is the new boss...?
Old 11-25-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Spoiler:
'Desmond' is the new boss...?
"I'm a reaper brutha!"
Old 11-25-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad that
Spoiler:
George and Cameron are still around. Sucks about Rube not being on the show anymore.
Old 11-25-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
First video is no longer available ... second has a "malformed" something or other ... hopefully a revival will be as good as the show was -- simply one of the best shows ... ever.
Old 11-26-08, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
First video is no longer available ... second has a "malformed" something or other ... hopefully a revival will be as good as the show was -- simply one of the best shows ... ever.
Still works for me.
Old 11-26-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Interesting that Sarah Wynter and Laura Harris played sisters on 24 and now are playing the same character.
Old 02-16-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Dead Like Me: Life After Death (Direct-To-DVD Film) Out On DVD February 17th!

Is this still scheduled?
Old 02-16-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dead Like Me: Life After Death (Direct-To-DVD Film) Out On DVD February 17th!

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Is this still scheduled?
Still shows as a preorder at Amazon with today as a release date:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Like-Me-A.../dp/B001JV5BHQ
Old 02-17-09, 12:50 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep got my screener last week.
Old 02-17-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Got this on my radar but won't pick it up until I finish the aired episodes. Great show.
Old 02-17-09, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have preferred to see Betty (Rebecca Gayheart) return rather than have them recast Daisy.
Old 02-17-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I just watched this last night and it is a pretty good closer to the series, if it is that. The story does take place five years after the first episode not five years after the last episode. Kudos to the original cast, they step back into the characters seamlessly.

I'm hoping it does pull in great sales so this can come back as a series.
Old 02-17-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Had forgotten that this was coming out. Thanks for the bump in the thread. Just put it in my Netflix queue.
Old 02-17-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From a big fan of the show, to me it was a big mess. I love the George plot, but when anyone else was on screen it just seemed to be bad. The girl who plays Dixie really couldn't act and didn't have 5% of the charm the old dixie had, and everything else seemed really rushed. I do hope that everyone else does like it so the dvd sales are good enough to hopefully get the show back on the air where things can feel not as rushed.
So even though in my opinion only about 20% of it was any good go and buy it anyway to let whoever know the show still has a following.
Old 02-17-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
IMO, most of the family-related subplots were awful anyway. The gay subplot would have been much more interesting than his affair with the female student.
I agree.
Old 02-21-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Eh, I wanted to enjoy it more than I did.

I didn't think it was awful per say, but I hope they at least get a chance to make a few more movies and whatnot to close out the series better.
Old 02-21-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Watched this last night. Just nowhere near the quality of the show. 2/5 at best.

Henry Ian Cusick's character didn't even seem necessary. I think Jasmine Guy was the only thing I liked about this. Is it me or did they turn Mason into a massive idiot all of a sudden? He was a screw up in the series but never seemed so dumb as he was portrayed in this.

I doubt I'll ever watch this again - it really doesn't provide much more closure than the last episode of Season 2 so I don't see the point.

They still didn't explain anything about

Spoiler:

the Betty character from S1 and where she went.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 02-21-09 at 03:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.