DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   MadTV is cancelled (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/543582-madtv-cancelled.html)

Seantn 11-12-08 04:22 PM

MadTV is cancelled

From Aint-It-Cool-News:

Fox has finally decided to send “Mad TV” the way of “Fridays” and “In Living Color,” canceling the show with the end of its 14th season.

Cancellation comes as late-night rival “Saturday Night Live” is pulling its best ratings in 14 years. Additionally, four recent primetime editions of “SNL” have emerged as NBC’s top-rated scripted dayparts the weeks they aired.

gmanca 11-12-08 04:26 PM

It's kinda sad how far it's fallen from the great early years. The Sasso-McDonald-Kilbane seasons were easily better than SNL during the same time period.

I wonder what Fox is going to replace it with; Talkshow with Spike Feresten is sub-par with very few moments.

ruddiger_718 11-12-08 04:29 PM

:banana:

wm lopez 11-12-08 05:37 PM

Maybe Jay Leno.

movieking 11-12-08 05:38 PM

A few years ago, this was better than SNL, but it's fallen so far so fast that it became unwatchable. A big factor was the switch to the new theatre either last year, or the year before. That was the big jump the shark moment, IMO.

skatefan20 11-12-08 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by movieking (Post 9068641)
A big factor was the switch to the new theatre either last year, or the year before. That was the big jump the shark moment, IMO.

Yup.

So many Saturdays I found myself thinking this show was so much funnier than SNL and waited till Midnite to flip over to NBC, but MadTV has gone downhill FAST. The show held onto Michael Mcdonald and Bobby Lee way too long.

Fave skits, sketches:
"OJ Simpson: Bloopers, Blunders, and Boners"
Vancome Lady
"Kenny Rogers's Jackass"
Spishak-brand commercials
Debra Wilson's take on Whitney Houston, Beyonce/Destiny's Child, Oprah
"QVC for the plus-size woman"
"Glamazon Huntress AD"
Felicity, Jenny Jones Show, The Sopranos on PAXTV, Cold Case, Medium spoofs
"John Madden's Popcorn Maker"
Anna Nicole Smith w/ FOX's Super Bowl team
"Tickle Me Emo"

NoirFan 11-12-08 06:14 PM

Finally! I can't believe that show lasted fourteen seasons.

big whoppa 11-12-08 06:16 PM

Once a great show and like everyone said better than SNL. It's a shadow of its former self now. I only like Keenan and Bobby Lee, of course. Still a surprise it was going to be cancelled.

The skits are perfect for YouTube. Miss Swan was one of my favorites.

Mondo Kane 11-12-08 06:23 PM

It lasted a LOT longer than I thought it would.

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 9068476)
Cancellation comes as late-night rival “Saturday Night Live” is pulling its best ratings in 14 years.

rotfl

That just didn't sound right.

benh911 11-12-08 06:34 PM

You are NOT watching MadTv!!....Yeah, that's all I got.

Giantrobo 11-12-08 06:52 PM

Yeah I'm not shocked by this. There are some talented folks on that show; and I was once one of the biggest supporters of MadTV around here especially when compared to SNL.

But the new format and the breakdown of quality bits killed MadTV.
It was good run MadTv but it's time to let it go. :up:

OldBoy 11-12-08 07:04 PM

that sucks. i didn't watch faithfully. but i did like the actors and had some good laughs at some sketches, especially anything with Bobby Lee.

grenier 11-12-08 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by movieking (Post 9068641)
A few years ago, this was better than SNL, but it's fallen so far so fast that it became unwatchable. A big factor was the switch to the new theatre either last year, or the year before. That was the big jump the shark moment, IMO.

I agree, a few seasons ago (the last season filmed before an audience) it was really hitting on all cylinders. It's not the same now that they just show pre-recorded skits.

fumanstan 11-12-08 07:56 PM

Yikes, I didn't even realize this was still on. I was a big fan when it first came out, but it just totally fell off my radar.

lordwow 11-12-08 08:10 PM

This is the best news I've heard all day.

DarkestPhoenix 11-12-08 08:25 PM

Good!

Only good part of the run was Kenny Rogers' Jackass.

:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D123Kr2CU4I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D123Kr2CU4I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-12-08 08:48 PM

I enjoyed the claymation stuff like claymation cops.

big whoppa 11-12-08 08:52 PM

The Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer parody is a classic too.

NoirFan 11-12-08 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 9068943)
I enjoyed the claymation stuff like claymation cops.

The bit in which Curious George gets revenge on The Man in the Yellow Hat is the only positive memory I have of this show.

mhg83 11-12-08 09:09 PM

At least they still have the magazine which is much funnier anyways.

DeanoBKN 11-12-08 09:44 PM

I didn't know it was still on to tell you the truth.

Hokeyboy 11-12-08 10:58 PM

Come on, Shelley...

Come on....

:(

Seriously but when this show was in its prime, with Will Sasso, Debra Wilson (*DROOLZ*), Nicole Sullivan, Aries Spears, Alex Borstein, etc., those were better than anything SNL has put up since the late 80s/early 90s.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with prevailing sentiment. Hasn't been good in years -- with a few exceptions, especially this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y04wkGhaNe4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y04wkGhaNe4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

calhoun07 11-13-08 12:22 AM

Fox announces it's replacement for next season: CRACKED TV!

Gizmo 11-13-08 12:24 AM

The clay skits were good...

Hopefully Bobby Lee can score a show....He was pretty funny.

gmanca 11-13-08 12:36 AM

The whole story ark of Michael McCloud(Will Sasso) and Alex Borstein's character was pretty sweet; there was an intro skit, a Behind the Music skit, and a where are they now skit with Sasso on the street corner playing a casio keyboard.

Snapshot stories with various castmembers was awesome; the one with Aries getting high off of airplane glue and mistaking a castmember was especially awesome. Steven Bochco's L.A. Valet, the Handyman show with the Multitool thing, the music instrument salesmen band skit, and the Java Man skits were very good as well.

I hope the WB site puts up those older episodes up because they were really good, as has been said before and bears repeating.