Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

MadTV is cancelled

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MadTV is cancelled

Old 11-13-08, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of memorable characters on this show. I grew to like Stuart (sp) and his mother, black UPS guy, Sasso's Kenny Rogers, Mo Collin's characters, etc.
Old 11-13-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
mcdonald, sasso, borstein, mo collins.

Some of the best years were when these guys were on.
Old 11-13-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
mcdonald, sasso, borstein, mo collins.

Some of the best years were when these guys were on.
Those seasons were top of the line skit comedy of any skit comedy series. It's a bummer Fox will probably never release the season sets of the show's high point period.
Old 11-13-08, 11:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked some of their parodies, like Gump Fiction, South Parknuts, House MD, etc. but I never really got into most of their original characters and recurring sketches.
Old 11-13-08, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to watch it every saturday, until the last two seasons. They have been awful.

I do still enjoy the reruns on Comedy Central.
Old 11-13-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
It's kinda sad how far it's fallen from the great early years.
This show has always sucked.
Old 11-13-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I never really enjoyed it, even in its early years. I didn' even know it was still on. I just thought they were doing reruns on Comedy Central now.

MadTV had the bad luck of NBC pushing SNL like crack because it was an election year, when SNL has more jokes to throw into the pot. Not to mention that the candidates this year just happened to be easy targets for jokes. And of course SNL's semi-cast member Tina Fey who just happens to look exactly like Sarah Palin (the easiest target of them all this year).

So really, if you like MadTV you can blame the Republican Party for it being cancelled.
Old 11-13-08, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I never really enjoyed it, even in its early years. I didn' even know it was still on. I just thought they were doing reruns on Comedy Central now.

MadTV had the bad luck of NBC pushing SNL like crack because it was an election year, when SNL has more jokes to throw into the pot. Not to mention that the candidates this year just happened to be easy targets for jokes. And of course SNL's semi-cast member Tina Fey who just happens to look exactly like Sarah Palin (the easiest target of them all this year).

So really, if you like MadTV you can blame the Republican Party for it being cancelled.
But MadTV made sketches based on Obama and McCain and they were really bad.
Old 11-13-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Those seasons were top of the line skit comedy of any skit comedy series. It's a bummer Fox will probably never release the season sets of the show's high point period.
I've seen season sets of mad tv before. I think it was one and two only
Old 11-13-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Yeah they had Bobby Lee as McCain. wtf?
Love the guy but his McCain is just plain awful.

Still there's the 24 hour parodies which were brilliant with Bobby always fighting to stay in bed, Hot Dog skits, the guy with the decked out Hyundai, the Korean soap opera, the old kung fu expert, etc. Man, if Bobby were on SNL, he would be a sensation by now.
Old 11-13-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i didnt even notice they were still on
Old 11-13-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from Bobby Lee the recent offerings from MadTV were pretty weak. They had a hell of a run though, and I am seriously going to miss it.

Two of my favorite golf skits:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGHY6yXyp14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGHY6yXyp14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBQFmugvYus&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBQFmugvYus&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-13-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never seen a full episode and every time I ever did watch a little of it, I was out in 1 sketch.
Old 11-13-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MadTV was gold for awhile.. miles over SNL. It hit a downward slope a couple of years ago, and since Michael McDonald left, it just wasn't the same as it is.
Old 11-14-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never understood why people celebrate the cancellation of a show they never watch...
Old 11-14-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I've never understood why people celebrate the cancellation of a show they never watch...
Because SNL is such a great show.