DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Knight Rider gets rebooted...AGAIN! (Cast changes, retooling of show) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/543367-knight-rider-gets-rebooted-again-cast-changes-retooling-show.html)

Seantn 11-10-08 01:43 AM

Knight Rider gets rebooted...AGAIN! (Cast changes, retooling of show)

From Aint-It-Cool-News:

NBC’s supershitty “Knight Rider” sequel series just got the back end of a 22-episode full-season order, but the last nine episodes of its current season are expected to look different from the first 13, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Bruce Davison, Sydney Tamiia Poitier and Yancey Arias have all been dropped from the cast. Fans will be relieved to learn that former model/soap stars Justin Bruening (“One Life To Live,” “All My Children”) and Deanna Russo (“The Young and the Restless”) will continue as the show’s leads.

The format of the show is changing as well:

"It's a reboot," "Knight" executive producer/showrunner Gary Scott Thompson said. "We're moving away from the terrorist-of-the-week formula and closer to the original, making it a show about a man and his car going out and helping more regular people, everymen."

Thompson wrote "The Fast and the Furious" before he served as creator/showrunner on "Las Vegas."

Last week, following news of its pick-up, the series garnered its lowest ratings to date.

DJariya 11-10-08 02:11 AM

Now that sounds more like it. They really should stick to the motto of the original series....."One Man Can Make a Difference."

I'm glad they are keeping Deanna Russo and Smith Cho. I wonder how they are going to write out Sarah's father though.

TheBang 11-10-08 05:25 AM

Too little, too late.

Snowmaker 11-10-08 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 9061691)

Bruce Davison, Sydney Tamiia Poitier and Yancey Arias have all been dropped from the cast.

GOOD on the last two, but I kind of like Bruce Davison. He's sort of the Devon Miles on the show.

wmansir 11-10-08 07:07 AM

The first episode lost me for good. I almost always give shows I'm interested in a shot after the pilot to see how a regular episode plays, but this one was such a cluster F I couldn't stand it.

conscience 11-10-08 07:11 AM

Thankfully Bruce Davison is off of that show....he deserves better.

Snowmaker 11-10-08 07:12 AM

I say bring in the Hoff in place of Bruce Davison.

http://www.tonsoguns.com/oldimages/11hasselhoff.gif

JuryDuty 11-10-08 10:44 AM

Interesting...so what will be the date of the first retooled show?

I dropped it after the awful premiere and awful second episode, even though I loved the Spring TV-movie. I'd try it again. I love the concept and main actor, just hate the direction and execution.

JuryDuty 11-10-08 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty (Post 9062708)
Interesting...so what will be the date of the first retooled show?

Found the answer to my question:

The revamped "Knight" will kick off with the two-part Episodes 10-11. NBC is planning a major push, including possibly airing Episode 10 on Sunday after an NFL football game in January, with the conclusion airing the following Wednesday.

Such a move would bring "Knight" back to Sunday night, where the two-hour movie/backdoor pilot drew big ratings in February.

stingermck 11-10-08 10:49 AM

Thank God! 1 man, 1 car, its easy!

Snowmaker 11-10-08 11:47 AM

Now if only they could cut back on the transformations and multi-functional glove box.

dan30oly 11-10-08 12:01 PM

I stopped watching it after the first episode (after really liking the re-launch movie).

Wake me up when the re-launch happens.

Snowmaker 11-10-08 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 9062722)
thank god! 1 man, 1 car, 1 babe in as little clothing as possible, its easy!

fixed

Darknite39 11-10-08 01:24 PM

Best news I've heard all day. Hopefully they can pull it off. I can't stand the show as-is now, but I'll be happy to give it another chance.

CPA-ESQ. 11-10-08 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9062883)
Now if only they could cut back on the transformations and multi-functional glove box.

True dat! :thumbsup:

More show - less Ford commercial

Goldberg74 11-10-08 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 9062931)
I stopped watching it after the first episode (after really liking the re-launch movie).

Wake me up when the re-launch happens.

I watched the movie, but didn't bother with the show (I'm a "Pushing Daisies" fan).

Nice to see them go back to the roots of the show... maybe I'll start up when the reboot happens.

riley_dude 11-10-08 03:47 PM

They should bring Journeyman back instead of retooling this one.

BravesMG 11-10-08 04:07 PM

I tried this once and it was horrific. The terrorist of the week shit is right on, I don't know if they can turn it around enough but I'll probably give it another shot.

riley_dude 11-10-08 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BravesMG (Post 9063614)
I tried this once and it was horrific. The terrorist of the week shit is right on, I don't know if they can turn it around enough but I'll probably give it another shot.

Give Pushing Daisies a shot.

BravesMG 11-10-08 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude (Post 9063679)
Give Pushing Daisies a shot.

You know, I've heard enough good things about it that I probably should. But it seems like a show I'd need to grab S1 on BD and then try to catch up on BD before S3.

riley_dude 11-10-08 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BravesMG (Post 9063732)
You know, I've heard enough good things about it that I probably should. But it seems like a show I'd need to grab S1 on BD and then try to catch up on BD before S3.

Its not going to be around for a S3.

Match 11-10-08 10:08 PM

Thats good that they are rebooting Knight Rider.

I was hoping they would do this:
They should give KITT a new voice. Bring back William Daniels or find someone else that sounds like him.
Use more KITT. No CGI fake stuff.
Bring back the 18 wheeler, not a cargo plane.
Have David Hasselhoff make some appearance.

mikehunt 11-11-08 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Match (Post 9064434)
Have David Hasselhoff make some appearance.

thing is, the way the show turned out recently makes it seem to be in a different universe (the mention of karr last week for example) even though the pilot movie had the hoff at the end to tie it into the original

kvrdave 11-11-08 07:00 PM

This has suffered from the mistakes almost every crap show that should be good ends up with. They make it about CGI and ass, and forget to have a good story. Babylon 5, Star Trek, etc. were not great shows because they were in space. That was just a setting for a good story. And the transformer stuff is as stupid as it gets.

mnementh 11-12-08 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9061820)

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4...cursionxc3.gif