Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Daily Show - 10/29/2008 - "Barack Obama"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Daily Show - 10/29/2008 - "Barack Obama"

The Democratic candidate makes his fourth appearance on the show in the home stretch of the election season.
Just wanted to let throw it out there. I'm sure it'll be nice and subjective
Old 10-29-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shows like this, the O'Reilly Factor, and Rush Limbaugh's radio show don't have to worry about being or not being subjective, that's the wonders of comedy.
Old 10-29-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
a couple weeks ago when Scott McClellan was on the show he called them out for never going after Obama, only McCain. Since then he has focused more and more on Obama. Hopefully John doesn't kiss his ass tonght.
Old 10-29-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
Just wanted to let throw it out there. I'm sure it'll be nice and subjective
I think you mean objective.
Old 10-29-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I think you mean objective.
Nope.
Old 10-29-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
a couple weeks ago when Scott McClellan was on the show he called them out for never going after Obama, only McCain. Since then he has focused more and more on Obama. Hopefully John doesn't kiss his ass tonght.
I believe we'll be hearing the words "not too deep Mr. Senator" out of John's mouth before this interview is over.
Old 10-29-08, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb and predict that Stewart doesn't spit, but swallows Obama's entire load, then begs for more.
Old 10-29-08, 04:50 PM

I realize you guys are growing tired of the liberal bias on television shows and such, but I think it is pretty common knowledge that The Daily Show and John Stewart are both very liberal. Is it no surprise or 'out-there' to expect him to pander to his leanings? And am I in the minority thinking that these overtly sexual jokes and references are not at all funny and completely over the top?
Old 10-29-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Slider
And am I in the minority thinking that these overtly sexual jokes and references are not at all funny...
no
Old 10-29-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I realize you guys are growing tired of the liberal bias on television shows and such, but I think it is pretty common knowledge that The Daily Show and John Stewart are both very liberal. Is it no surprise or 'out-there' to expect him to pander to his leanings? And am I in the minority thinking that these overtly sexual jokes and references are not at all funny and completely over the top?
Wait, so it's okay to be completely over the top in your pandering of a candidate, but not to in your characterization of that pandering. Got it.
Old 10-29-08, 05:34 PM

It's of course okay, I just do not find it funny.
Old 10-29-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
Luckily we have The Colbert Report which leans to the Right...
Old 10-29-08, 06:18 PM
Banned

So Jon is going to give Obama love like most of the ladies of THE VIEW did when he appeared on that show.
Old 10-29-08, 07:16 PM

Who cares what show "leans" toward to? Its comedy all the same. John McCain has been on the Daily Show twice as much as Obama has, so spare me.

Anyway, I'll be watching
Old 10-29-08, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wait, so it's okay to be completely over the top in your pandering of a candidate, but not to in your characterization of that pandering. Got it.
Over the top pandering and totally crude sexual comments are hardly the same thing. But you know that.
Old 10-30-08, 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=John Slider;9037129]I realize you guys are growing tired of the liberal bias on television shows and such.

It amazes me that I quite ofter hear about the liberal bias in american media. If there is such a massive bias I have 3 questions.

1: Why are there NO democrat talk radio shows? I've looked and can't find any. If someone knows of one could you let me know.

2: How would you explain FOX news and other programs like Hannitty and Colmes?

3: How would the american public know about such a bias in the first place, as the so called liberal media would surely suppress news about themselves?
Old 10-30-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=curahn;9037996]
I realize you guys are growing tired of the liberal bias on television shows and such.

It amazes me that I quite ofter hear about the liberal bias in american media. If there is such a massive bias I have 3 questions.

1: Why are there NO democrat talk radio shows? I've looked and can't find any. If someone knows of one could you let me know.
Air America? heres a list of "americas left" on xm
Notes
6 a.m. 3 a.m. The Bill Press Show Jones Radio Network Live, hours 1-2
8 a.m. 5 a.m. The Young Turks XM Satellite Radio Live
10 a.m. 7 a.m. The Stephanie Miller Show Jones Radio Network Live, hours 2-3
12 p.m. 9 a.m. The Ed Schultz Show Jones Radio Network Live
3 p.m. 12 p.m. The Randi Rhodes Show Nova M Radio Live
6 p.m. 3 p.m. The Rachel Maddow Show Air America Radio Live

according to fixed news, they claim to be 'fair and balanced' the way they get around it, while they mostly have conservitive commentators, they usually let liberal stratagists, even though they are usually talked down to. Isn't it fox news that once called cnn the 'clintion news network', nbc, eh prob because of Matthews, Olbermann, and Maddow in prime time, the other networks, don't really know. Also, its Fox News that usually complains that other networks are "in the tank for Obama" or democrats. Hell on Oreillys show one night, they had a seg asking if all the presidential debate moderators were either democrats or "far to the left"

Last edited by Rypro 525; 10-30-08 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I'm going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb and predict that Stewart doesn't spit, but swallows Obama's entire load, then begs for more.
Jealous?
Old 10-30-08, 12:09 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
a couple weeks ago when Scott McClellan was on the show he called them out for never going after Obama, only McCain.
Hmmm ... must have been right before he endorsed Obama.
Old 10-30-08, 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=curahn;9037996]
I realize you guys are growing tired of the liberal bias on television shows and such.

2: How would you explain FOX news and other programs like Hannitty and Colmes?

3: How would the american public know about such a bias in the first place, as the so called liberal media would surely suppress news about themselves?

1. Anyone can start a democrat/liberal talk show. The trouble is there is not a significant audience to support it.

2. Fox news was initially created to counter the very liberal CNN.

3. The public knows about the liberal media because half of us aren't liberal.
Old 10-30-08, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Jealous?
Nope, but I bet you're in need of a stomach pump by now.
Old 10-30-08, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=Holysmoker;9038905]
Originally Posted by curahn

1. Anyone can start a democrat/liberal talk show. The trouble is there is not a significant audience to support it.

2. Fox news was initially created to counter the very liberal CNN.
1. 59,028,444 Democrat votes in 2004 election. I think thats a significant number of people. By popular vote, ignoring all the rumours of vote irregularities, republicans only come out at 3 million or so higher. The number of republican based talkshows far outweighs the examples that have been given from a reply to my previous post. This to me suggests a republican bias in radio media at least.

2. Fox news tag line is fair and balanced. I admit I'm not American, but from the outside looking in, they are far from fair. The level of respect the president gets is dependant on their political leanings. The hypocrisy comes in when a republican president should be supported no matter what, while being critical of a democratic president for doing a very similar thing.

I refer specifically to Clinton and Bush Junior here. Clinton was savaged by Fox for sending troops to war, and it has been stated publicly by the same people that a war time president should be given essentially free rein, but only because it was Bush Junior instead.

Another point is that although not president, Donald Rumsfeld has clearly lied regarding the war in Iraq, with video footage proof, and has had little, if anything, happen to him regarding this.

(At least as far as I'm aware. May be wrong, but have heard of no sanctions against him for this. Haven't looked into it that hard, however.)

Finally Fox news can only be regarded as balanced if the CNN are equally rabidly to the left as fox are to the right. I'm not sure of their level of liberalness, as I don't get CNN, so I cannot comment on them fairly.
Old 10-30-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
CNN always has an equal number of pundits from both sides.

Also, accusations of bias depend on one's definition of "liberal". Major media are all corporate conglomerates, none of whom, I imagine, have genuinely leftist views on economic matters.
Old 10-30-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well fox news (in particular O'reilly also says newsweek and the new york times are also liberal publications
Old 10-30-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, we're having a political argument in the TV forum. Not only that, but it's an argument about liberal bias in the media in a thread about the DAILY SHOW!! Why not discuss journalistic integrity in a thread about an Onion article?

Back on subject:
The interview wasn't anything special, though the part about Obama trying to keep his white half from voting for McCain was funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.