Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Entourage - "Gotta Look Up To Get Down" - 10/19/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Entourage - "Gotta Look Up To Get Down" - 10/19/08

Old 10-20-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was Ari, the first thing I'd do is bend Mrs. Ari over the kitchen table.
Old 10-20-08, 02:48 PM

Ari won't be taking the job. If he was a studio head, he wouldn't necessarily be a main character anymore, and we all know that's not going to happen!
Old 10-20-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He better. I can't see him making such a stupid decision because one of his supposed "hundreds" of clients gets a sad upper lift. Oh, and said client can't get a job that doesn't involve a dog.
Old 10-20-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to see him take the job. Should add a new dynamic to the show.
Old 10-20-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Yeah, it seemed selfish of Vince to ask to "finish what we started" sort of like when he wanted Anna Farris to do Walsh's movie regardless of E's objections (which led E to lose that client in the process). Sure Ari won't be his agent anymore if this were the case, but he would still be seeing him a lot.

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-20-08 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 04:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by madcougar
The problem that I now have with the show is the fact that while Ari boasts about his hundreds of clients, he seems to be morbidly obsessed with Vince. They admit that the guy is on a down cycle. He's never made A-list money for any project. Yet Ari would risk his relationship with a studio head to get him the second lead? Really? Wasn't he a bit concerned that this might damage his other 299 clients' chances of getting work at that studio?

I know I'm overthinking it and that it's just a show. But things like this have begun to really bother me about Entourage.
I don't think Ari was that worried about his relationship with Alan. They might not like each other (who in the biz really likes Ari besides Vince?), but Ari knows the biz and isn't stupid.

I think Ari is worried that if Vince doesn't get this role, he may never get another job. Hollywood is fickle, and he cares about this kid.
Old 10-20-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I thought it was a great episode as well. Turtle drawing the stick figures were great.
Old 10-20-08, 05:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah, it seemed selfish of Vince to ask to "finish what we started" sort of like when he wanted Anna Farris to do Walsh's movie regardless of E's objections (which led E to lose that client in the process). Sure Ari won't be his agent anymore if this were the case, but he would still be seeing him a lot.
yeah, i didn't get that moment. talk about awkward. what is the big deal? Ari WOULD get him any role and Eric would be his sole manager/agent. seems like everyone would win ten-fold. Ari's love for Vince was so evident in him telling Vince first and then Vince pulls that line and it goes sour for both.

what gives?
Old 10-20-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I don't understand however why Ari taking the studio job would be a bad thing.
This isn't the 1930s when studio heads were petty dictators with absolute control of their kingdoms. Ari would be answerable to a board who expect him to produce hits. If they don't think Vinny is a bankable star, they can pressure Ari not to give him parts. It takes away Ari as a crusader for Vince's career.
Old 10-20-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Amazing how one song (one of the top 10 rock songs ever written) can turn a goofy fluff show around and make the last 3 minutes an amazing emotional moment.

Really, I hope a new generation of kids are right now googeling the song.

What I wouldnt give to listen to THE BENDS for the first time again!

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 10-20-08 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
What I wouldnt give to listen to THE BENDS for the first time again!
Not me - I didn't start digging on it 'till the 4th or 5th time. And I'm sure that "new generation of kids" are already well aware of Radiohead, and are probably not even watching Entourage.
Old 10-20-08, 11:20 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
They better have Ari take the job. That last moment is what this season has been building up to and to just have Ari pass it by would be a complete cheat. I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the season having Ari struggle with the decision, or shutting down this part of his life, but this change needs to happen.

This season has been one of my favorites so far just because it has been a struggle for the characters (even Ari) instead of the "Let's try and make the movie we want to make." Now its "Let's just make a movie...any movie!" This change to the show could really help keep things fresh!

Also, Piven has been excellent this season...from the telling Vince he doesn't know for sure if he is a good actor, to his "Life is too short" speech at the end of last weeks episode to this episodes brilliant smile turned confused look when Vince said "I thought we'd finish what we started."

And to think, we're really only halfway done with this season (hopefully).
Old 10-20-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
So Ari should give up millions and a dream job for a guy who fucks him constantly and ignores his advice?
Old 10-21-08, 12:01 AM

Would Ari have to give up ownership in his agency? It seems like it would be a conflict of interest.
Old 10-21-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Super J
Would Ari have to give up ownership in his agency? It seems like it would be a conflict of interest.
Probably not. Hell, Ari could buy out Babs completely and put E in charge if he wanted to.
Old 10-21-08, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Ari better take the job. It wouldn't make sense at all if he turned it down just because of Vince, and the show definitely needs to be shaken up. A friend of mine stated that he would stop watching the show if Ari's passes on the job as he's had enough with how unrealistic the show has become.

Drama getting turned down by chicks before he even tries is unrealistic. He's a TV star, so women would flock to him at least initially. If they're turned off by his personality afterwards -so be it... but he would attract them at first simply by him being on TV.

Vince turning down the shoot was retarded. There was no real reason he couldn't take the job. He's supposed to be desperate for cash.

I've mentioned this last season and I'll mention it again. Eric keeps getting grilled for being a shorty... but he's the same height as Turtle - maximum one inch shorter. At least Eric isn't fat. It's like everyone is blind on this show.
Old 10-21-08, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Probably not. Hell, Ari could buy out Babs completely and put E in charge if he wanted to.

Maybe he'll put Adam Davies in charge.

What a great episode this was - at the airport was really touching. I really like where the show is going this season.
Old 10-21-08, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I've mentioned this last season and I'll mention it again. Eric keeps getting grilled for being a shorty... but he's the same height as Turtle - maximum one inch shorter. At least Eric isn't fat. It's like everyone is blind on this show.
E just looks tiny. Turtle is a stockier guy, that I certainly wouldnt make fun of for looking small...because he doesnt.
Old 10-21-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
So Ari should give up millions and a dream job for a guy who fucks him constantly and ignores his advice?
But if Ari leaves, how could Vince fire him two or three more times over the next few years?
Old 10-21-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
He better take the job. That is an opportunity you simply cannot pass up. Vince's problem with it was baffling, and it seemed like the writers are trying to add conflict where they shouldn't be.
Old 10-21-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
Ari better take the job. It wouldn't make sense at all if he turned it down just because of Vince, and the show definitely needs to be shaken up. A friend of mine stated that he would stop watching the show if Ari's passes on the job as he's had enough with how unrealistic the show has become.

Drama getting turned down by chicks before he even tries is unrealistic. He's a TV star, so women would flock to him at least initially. If they're turned off by his personality afterwards -so be it... but he would attract them at first simply by him being on TV.

Vince turning down the shoot was retarded. There was no real reason he couldn't take the job. He's supposed to be desperate for cash.

Dude your post is like you read my mind! Seriously Vince turned down $1,000,000?! WTF? At this point, I'm rooting against Vince out of shear spite. He has to be the stupidest person in Hollywood and does not deserve any more chances.

You know I get that he's supposed to have some sort of integrity, but in the end he's just coming accross as a spoiled brat douche.
Old 10-21-08, 03:25 PM

I just think human nature is to not like change and this is a big change for Vince. Ari has been the only person in Hollywood to stand up for Vince and stick by him the whole time. Ari will head one studio and I think Vince knows that Ari won't be invested in him anymore.

Even though Ari likes Vince, when you aren't making your money based on someone your loyalties change. It might seem like it could help Vince's career but in reality it might not. Ari will be forced to see the world through different glasses.

Vince doesn't like when his world changes and this is a big one.
Old 10-21-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think he was turning down the job till the guy offered to blow him
Old 10-22-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I hope Ari takes the job, as it will give the show a much needed shake up. And I agree with the AV Club in that if he doesn't, it really goes against his character:

So this big conflict has somehow snuck up on us: Ari has been offered the job as “the studio head” (do they ever say which studio?), which means fancy jets, tons of money, lots of power—pretty much the fulfillment of Ari’s every Hollywood fantasy. And yet… He’s conflicted. Ari. When there’s money and personal gain on the table, the man who everyone relies on to be completely self-serving has a moment of doubt, because he doesn’t want to leave a couple of friends behind. This guy doesn’t have friends—that’s part of his charm. He’s a professional asshole. He’s introduced in the this episode talking to the corpse of the old studio head, and then lying to the corporate boss about what the dead man promised him. No one should expect for a second that Ari would turn down this job out of some sort of loyalty to Vince. It’s too out of character. And if he does it, I’ll be mightily let down.

http://www.avclub.com/content/tvclub...look_up_to_get
Old 10-22-08, 02:02 PM

Loved the episode. I thought the conflict at the airport was perfect. Ari didn't have doubts about the job. He had doubts about how Vince would react. Remember that Vince is still Ari's biggest star and ticket to money/power. Before he started his own agency, Terence had made Ari who he was and Vince was Ari's only claim to fame. Ari has always had a soft spot for Vince because of that and doesn't want to ruin it. Vince's reaction was typical of the old, immature Vince. Everything is about him...even if it means hurting others.

This season is the best of the show. It's all about the transformation of Vincent Chase. Vince is getting the crap kicked out of him in every area and now even his agent is leaving. It represents the bottom for Vince, both financially and career-wise. I sense a change in Vince's whole attitude to life coming.

I, for one, look forward to seeing Ari as a Studio Head and Vince rising from the dead.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.