Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Entourage - "Gotta Look Up To Get Down" - 10/19/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Entourage - "Gotta Look Up To Get Down" - 10/19/08

Old 10-22-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have really loved this season as well, besides the Tree Trippers episode its been fantastic.
Old 10-22-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Loved the episode. I thought the conflict at the airport was perfect. Ari didn't have doubts about the job. He had doubts about how Vince would react. Remember that Vince is still Ari's biggest star and ticket to money/power. Before he started his own agency, Terence had made Ari who he was and Vince was Ari's only claim to fame.
OK, I say this with all due respect, WTF are you talking about? Vince is Ari's biggest star? Based on what? The guy was in one summer blockbuster (Aquaman) whose success could have as easily been attributed to James Cameron. He was such an integral part of the movie.... that he was freakin' replaced when he threw his hisssy fit over not being able to do Medellin!

Ari is supposed to be a very big fish in his respective pond and Vince is his biggest star? How? Look at the movies that he's done. Head On, apparently did OK. Queens Blvd. was a small critical independent. Aquaman was an event movie. And Medellin was a complete disaster THAT WENT STRAIGHT TO DVD!

The other day you saw Ari playing golf with Mark Wahlberg. I thought the implication was that Ari was his agent. Surely, as big a douche as he is, Wahlberg (yes I know he's a REAL star) is a much bigger star than Vince (yes I know it's make belief).

There's no way that Ari would be this big a deal in Hollywood if Vince was his biggest star.

Last edited by madcougar; 10-22-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-22-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got to agree with Cougar here. I think Ari saw the most raw potential in Vince but he isn't his biggest client. Hell Jeffrey Tambor is bigger
Old 10-22-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
Vince's loyalty will be his eventual downfall. Every episode he shows time and again that he has loyalty to friends and family, artistic integrity etc... to the point where he has turned down opportunity after opportunity to make dough which he needs. Even with Ari, this move will help his carrer but they won't have the same relationship. But, Vince has said it time and again that not only does he not care about his career from a money/selling out standpoint, but he is from nothing and won't hesistate going back to it. That may be foreshadowing as he may get his big break but he may end up back at QB. He just keeps showing hes not your normal actor and refuses to sell out/sacrifice friendships for money. On a few of these occasions I would have taken the money. (Maybe not Benji but definitely the model gig).
Whats funny about that is that his character is loosely based on Mark Walhberg. And he took "The Happening" gig. Yet Vince is very picky. I find that funny...
Old 10-22-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
I got to agree with Cougar here. I think Ari saw the most raw potential in Vince but he isn't his biggest client. Hell Jeffrey Tambor is bigger
Taking it one step further, Wahlberg's (who's a douche) been in more than 20 major movies, whose overall box office take is more than $1.1 BILLION. Vincent Chase has been in four movies! Even with the biggest box office take in history, his total isn't more than $350 million at best. Again, no way in hell that Vince is Ari's no. 1 client. None.
Old 10-22-08, 06:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by madcougar
Taking it one step further, Wahlberg's (who's a douche) been in more than 20 major movies, whose overall box office take is more than $1.1 BILLION. Vincent Chase has been in four movies! Even with the biggest box office take in history, his total isn't more than $350 million at best. Again, no way in hell that Vince is Ari's no. 1 client. None.
Ari must be robbing Vince blind when it comes to deals.
Old 10-23-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with some of the other posters here in that I'll be extremely pissed if Ari doesn't take the job. I'm getting pretty sick of Vince as well. He needs to either take, and keep, a job, or move back home. Let him try to do Broadway or something if he wants to be a "real actor".
Old 10-23-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way it would make sense for Ari to decline his offer would be if it worked to his advantage some other way (maybe trying to line himself up for another studio head job?)
Old 10-23-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Or he helps Dana Gordon land it and thereby gets Vinnie in Smoke Jumpers. They'd have to come up with a pretty good reason for Ari to not take it though. Something beyond the "let's finish what we started". He fired Ari just before he went and made Medellin b/c he wanted it so bad after blowing Aqua Man 2 over it.
Old 10-23-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nefarious
Or he helps Dana Gordon land it and thereby gets Vinnie in Smoke Jumpers. They'd have to come up with a pretty good reason for Ari to not take it though. Something beyond the "let's finish what we started". He fired Ari just before he went and made Medellin b/c he wanted it so bad after blowing Aqua Man 2 over it.
Well, technically, he fired Ari because Ari fucked up I Wanna Be Sedated. He re-hired him because Ari got him Medellin.

But I do agree with you. I think at the end of the day Dana Gordon will get the job over Ari and Vince will get into Smoke Jumpers. I just can't think of a reason why it would happen.
Old 10-23-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Ari will get the job and bring in Dana as his second. Then his personality will piss off everyone involved (this part will be very entertaining). He will be fired and Dana will rise to fill the position.

In the middle of all this, Vince will get the second lead in Smoke Jumpers.
Old 10-23-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, i didn't get that moment. talk about awkward. what is the big deal? Ari WOULD get him any role and Eric would be his sole manager/agent. seems like everyone would win ten-fold. Ari's love for Vince was so evident in him telling Vince first and then Vince pulls that line and it goes sour for both.

what gives?
This guy said it best. Spot on...

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Vince is a "friendship" guy -

Both Ari and Vince are kind of in the trenches together. It is an US vs. Them (studios)

Now Ari will become one of "Them" and both know full well that Ari will be making decisions on what will best suit the studio - and if Vince is not a hot actor - Ari will turn his back on him.
Old 10-23-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Best episode of the last couple seasons. As most have said, Ari better get the job, and this show will benefit from a shake up.

Still my favorite 20-23 minutes a week
Old 10-23-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry C.
Whats funny about that is that his character is loosely based on Mark Walhberg. And he took "The Happening" gig. Yet Vince is very picky. I find that funny...
Speaking of "The Happening", M. Night Shyamalan is also one of Ari's clients.
Old 10-24-08, 10:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe Ari does takes the studio head job as....
Spoiler:
his old agent friend "Bill Lumbergh" is guesting in a few weeks and will become a regular cast member in Season 6..perhaps as Ari's replacement?

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-ga...,4179788.story
Old 10-24-08, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I think Ari will get the job and bring in Dana as his second. Then his personality will piss off everyone involved (this part will be very entertaining). He will be fired and Dana will rise to fill the position.

In the middle of all this, Vince will get the second lead in Smoke Jumpers.
I like this scenario a lot. I hope its the one they went with for the show
Old 10-24-08, 11:44 AM
Banned

Very good episode. It was good to see Tambor on screen again with Piven. Probably the first time since The Larry Sanders Show.

Loved the stuff with the two writers who wrote the spec script for The Hobbit. Piven was on fire this episode.
Old 10-24-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't see why everybody is confused over Vince's reaction at the end. Ari and Vince relationship is obviously deeper then just Agent/Client in case you haven't been watching for the past few years. If Ari takes the job he is no longer in daily contact with Vince, they will still be friends and get together but Ari will have way more responcibility. This will be very interesting.
Old 10-26-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also think Ari will screw up the opportunity, and Dana will end up with the job.