Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Baby Shower" -- 10/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
My picture wasn't screwed up but the sound was. The sound and the video wasn't quite in synch. Anybody else experience that? I hate that so much.

yeah i had that problem on top of the picture problem
Old 10-17-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
So-so overall, but I HATED the Dwigt/stroller bit.

I did like the Michael/Holly parts.

Pam needs to be back in the office...
Old 10-17-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the ending and it saved it for me.

I thought it was terrible and this whole pregnancy thing is almost shark worthy. I hope we are done with it. It is just coming across as way too fake even for the Office.

Not digging the way writers are using pregnancy as a story angle. It ruined Scrubs, too.
Old 10-17-08, 02:33 AM

i thought dwight was bad with the watermelon and stroller
the whole pregnacy thing kinda sucks

but great episode for everyone else. a ton of character and plot development. the part with michael and the random babies was great. and of course the great ending with holly!

and some good laughs.

The dressed up baby scene!

Phyllis: I’m no longer under Angela’s heel, and her little grape head is under mine.

Angela: I hope you two are very happy together. Pervert.

the part where jim wanted to talk to pam but not look at dwight or creed

the stanley stuff as mentioned above! it was a great cut scene during his talking head of phyliss shaking the collection envelope at him!!
Old 10-17-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked this episode. I was hoping for more with Jan & Michael (like who is the father...) but it was good. The ending with Michael & Holly was great and I really liked it, and the JAM tag ending made me want more.

I actually enjoyed Dwight's stroller antics a bit. Not necessarily him destroying, but just the fact that it is something he would literally do haha "Playtime's over!"

Other than that, looked like Andy & Angela were getting along. Creed was funny, as always. Not a huge fan of Phyllis, but she was okay. Overall, the episode wasn't too bad and I enjoyed it.

P.S. in case anyone was wondering, yes Pam's ring was still on her finger.
Old 10-17-08, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I loved the ending and it saved it for me.

I thought it was terrible and this whole pregnancy thing is almost shark worthy. I hope we are done with it. It is just coming across as way too fake even for the Office.

Not digging the way writers are using pregnancy as a story angle. It ruined Scrubs, too.
Having characters dating and getting married and having kids isn't "shark jumping." It's just what people do. This whole arc is really, really hilarious because of the life Michael wants for himself, and his really yearning to build a certain very modest sort of happiness for himself, and then the meanness of what Jan did to him.

The fact that Amy Ryan is leaving in two episodes means that Michael's new attempt to hang onto basic human dignity is going to be hilariously thwarted pretty soon.
Old 10-17-08, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw
Where's my golden shower?

There you go.
Old 10-17-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole sperm donor/baby daddy arc was just too far beyond reason for me and some of Dwight's antics (throwing the stroller at barb wire) went too far. Weakest episode in a very long time albeit with a few GREAT one-liners (Omaha Beach in particular).

If they reigned it in a little bit the show would be funnier. Definitely pandering to the lowest common denominator.
Old 10-17-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Jan's singing was as bad as her dancing to The Hunter last year. Bad in a funny way. How uncomfortable for everyone else in the room.

A lot of good lines. I thought the intro was great but Dwight's stroller testing didn't work. Neither did the scene in the warehouse.

I thought the last scene with Pam/Jim was really good.
Old 10-17-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this on the newsstand this morning.

I guess she was pregnant in real life too. I wonder if that was her baby.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 10-17-08 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I wonder if this was filmed before Darrell got busted for drugs. He seemed a little odd in the episode and his voice was scratchy sounding.
Old 10-17-08, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Jan's singing was as bad as her dancing to The Hunter last year. Bad in a funny way. How uncomfortable for everyone else in the room.
I thought the last scene with Pam/Jim was really good.
Yeh Jan singing was one of the funniest parts, I was cracking up.

The Jim/Pam ending was adorable, especially after the whole out of sync day had me worried about them.

Stanley and Creed lines were Golden.

I love how Holly started to mimic Michael at first just to make a connection, but now even away from him she acts like him. When Jan was looking for her baby and Holly was like "Oh hes out on a sales call, no wait hes on a coffee break" haha so awkward Jan looked so pissed, like it was Michael making the joke to her.
Old 10-17-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I wonder if this was filmed before Darrell got busted for drugs. He seemed a little odd in the episode and his voice was scratchy sounding.
It's been like that this whole season, especially during the weight loss episode. He also lost the beard in that one, but it's growing back.
Old 10-17-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know why Pam is still off to school? I was under the impression that it was just a summer program originally.
Old 10-17-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Maybe it's still summer in the timeline?
Old 10-17-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They made it a complete NON-story angle. No crazy birth scenes, just voila, she had the baby and there it is. It was the complete opposite of any pregnancy storyline on any other TV show ever.
Old 10-17-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
dwight pissed me off and is becoming an urkel (too out there to believe).

He should be a nerd, anal retentive, kiss ass. Instead, we get a guy with a beet farm B&B who employes a retarded Amish cousin, performs his own circumcision, and beats the shit out of others' property for no reason. He's gone from the annoying guy int he office to a cartoon character.

Give me Gareth.
Old 10-17-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Dwight stroller bit was a bit over the top - kind of like when Michael drove the car into the lake

They don't need these charachters to go the Homer Simpson route
Old 10-17-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Having characters dating and getting married and having kids isn't "shark jumping." It's just what people do. This whole arc is really, really hilarious because of the life Michael wants for himself, and his really yearning to build a certain very modest sort of happiness for himself, and then the meanness of what Jan did to him.

You are being way too generous to place what is currently happening in the Office to the natural progression of life on tv shows.

The US version of the Office has always been a bit more fantastical than the grounded British, and I have accepted that, but this whole pregnancy angle is so far beyone reason it isn't enjoyable. If they continue to try and stretch episodes from this angle, that is horribly fake, it will jump the shark for me.
Old 10-17-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
They made it a complete NON-story angle. No crazy birth scenes, just voila, she had the baby and there it is. It was the complete opposite of any pregnancy storyline on any other TV show ever.

Yeah, it is an angle. There has been a ton of time devoted to it. I am not talking about the actual act of delivery.
Old 10-17-08, 09:59 AM

i agree, they didnt center around the baby, bam the baby was born, they didnt make a big deal of it like most shows, she arrives with the baby and thats that.
Old 10-17-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it is an angle. There has been a ton of time devoted to it.
Really? It was introduced in the next to the last act in last year's finale. Jan was in the season premiere but it wasn't in any way about her. And she wasn't even in episode 2.
Old 10-17-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really? It was introduced in the next to the last act in last year's finale. Jan was in the season premiere but it wasn't in any way about her. And she wasn't even in episode 2.
When something appears in multiple episodes and has an entire episode devoted to it (up to this point), it is an angle.
Old 10-17-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, saying a 'ton of time' is an exaggeration... they pretty much introduced it and wrapped it in 40 minutes... not bad at all. Love when Michael held the baby and felt nothing...and the ending was perfect. Great episode.
Old 10-17-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
yeah, saying a 'ton of time' is an exaggeration... they pretty much introduced it and wrapped it in 40 minutes... not bad at all. Love when Michael held the baby and felt nothing...and the ending was perfect. Great episode.
Not really. Multiple episode mention, covered two seasons, and had an entire episode devoted to it so far. But to each their own.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.