Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office -- "Baby Shower" -- 10/16/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Baby Shower" -- 10/16/08

Old 10-17-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I thought it was a so-so episode. Not terrible, not great. Creed's line was hilarious and I did like the ending with Michael and Holly.

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Not really. Multiple episode mention, covered two seasons, and had an entire episode devoted to it so far. But to each their own.
That part makes me think of this "Simpsons" exchange:

Mickey Rooney: Hi, Milhouse. The studio sent me to talk to you, being a former child star myself, and the number one box office draw from 1939 to 1940.

Bart: Wow, spanning two decades.

While technically true that the pregnancy has been a part of two seasons, "covered two seasons" sounds like it's making it more than it is. It only surfaced in the last part of last season's finale. Personally, I don't see it as a big deal, but I do see how others might, given how the presence of a new baby usually works to the detriment of most sitcoms.

Last edited by DJLinus; 10-17-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
but this whole pregnancy angle is so far beyone reason it isn't enjoyable.
Yeah, women never get pregnant. It is much less realistic and reasonable than having storylines about someone jumping off a building onto a bounce house, awards shows in a Chili's, and someone wearing bubble wrap as a shoe.
Old 10-17-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, women never get pregnant. It is much less realistic and reasonable than having storylines about someone jumping off a building onto a bounce house, awards shows in a Chili's, and someone wearing bubble wrap as a shoe.

Yeah, there are a ton of guys who want to be a part of Astird's life under all the circumstances of the show. Super realistic.
Old 10-17-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, there are a ton of guys who want to be a part of Astird's life under all the circumstances of the show. Super realistic.
Wha?
Old 10-17-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This episode was weird for me because earlier in the evening, I attended a baby shower for a co-worker, so some of it was little bit funnier to me, but it was driven mainly by happenstance. Not really feeling the Jim/Pam subplot.
Old 10-17-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
A rather meh episode. I'm with Patman....the Jim/Pam thing is going nowhere fast.
Old 10-17-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
....the Jim/Pam thing is going nowhere fast.
Yes, but people dating and getting engaged is way beyond reason. That stuff never happens.
Old 10-17-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the episode had it's moments, but it was pretty meh. I did like the ending, that was a nice touch.

On a semi-related note, I had made a comment about the Dusty Springfield song when my mom was walking through the living room. She said, "Oh I love that song, but why is she singing it?" I explained, "Well that is why it is funny, given the song's context." Confused my mom inquired what I was talking about. And, ironically, I gave the same explanation Jim did moments later (or was it earlier?). To which my mom had this classic reply, "How do you know all this weird sex shit?" Then it was a discussion about how obvious the song is or rather sledgehammer subtle in what the song is about.
Old 10-17-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sitcoms are supposed to be very realistic.
Old 10-17-08, 11:20 AM

Could Pam not have walked out of the laundromat when she couldn't hear Jim??
Old 10-17-08, 11:41 AM

A good episode, but not a great one. I loved the moment at the end with Michael and Holly, but even moreso the moment at the end with Pam and Jim. That was such a clever little bit of writing. The writers know that most fans expect the cliche "sitcom couple gets together then must break up to ensure the show stays fresh" routine, so they give that to us. But, at the end of the show they prove why The Office is such a smart show by turning that cliche on its ear and showing that it was just a bad day and that they are still just as connected as ever. The rest of the episode was funny in some places, not funny in others, so, good episode, but not a great one.

So, you don't spend much time in the real world do you? The world is littered with people that stay in marriages they hate, have kids that they don't want, people that work jobs they hate, are with a woman that has had a kid with someone else, and yet they still act like the father to that child. There hasn't been a single thing presented yet in the limited time the Michael/Jan pregnancy story has been shown that has been unrealistic or fake in any way.
Old 10-17-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Thompson

So, you don't spend much time in the real world do you? The world is littered with people that stay in marriages they hate, have kids that they don't want, people that work jobs they hate, are with a woman that has had a kid with someone else, and yet they still act like the father to that child. There hasn't been a single thing presented yet in the limited time the Michael/Jan pregnancy story has been shown that has been unrealistic or fake in any way.

Internet insults? Classy.

Real world? If you can find a guy whose ex-girlfriend gets pregnant via sperm bank, treats him like what has happened thru the show, and decides to be a part of the child's life with no connection to it whatsoever (via child or mother), then let me know.

But, being that I live in the real world, I am done with this thread. I hope for an Office turnaround next week and the coming season.
Old 10-17-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Still better than the season premiere so I have no complaints
Old 10-17-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Are we really arguing the lack of realism in The Office? No shit. Of course these aren't everyday situations. If they were, then the show would be boring. If the show was meant to be any sorts of real then Michael Scott would have been fired 4 years ago. Not to mention the branch would have been shut down since NO ONE does any work. Lighten up, its a sitcom. If you don't like the plot line then thats one thing, but don't say you don't like it because its not realistic.
Old 10-17-08, 11:52 AM

Internet insults? Classy.

Real world? If you can find a guy whose ex-girlfriend gets pregnant via sperm bank, treats him like what has happened thru the show, and decides to be a part of the child's life with no connection to it whatsoever (via child or mother), then let me know.

But, being that I live in the real world, I am done with this thread. I hope for an Office turnaround next week and the coming season.
Interesting that you immediately go with the defensive insult route. The person that knows they have no real base for their argument always finds insults where there aren't any.

Dude, I train with a guy that has been repeatedly cheated on by his girl, knows he isn't the father of the youngest kid, and yet he's still with her. The chick that rings me up at the local Wal-Mart knows her guy cheats on her, he beats her up regularly and yet she's still with him. My Health teacher my Freshman year in college became pregnant through a sperm bank and then got back together with her ex-boyfriend, only to get divorced a little over a year after the kid was born because they couldn't stand each other. There's nothing fake about this storyline, simple as that.
Old 10-17-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whether or not you know anyone personally is irrelevant. These things happen. Hell, a lot of times it's not even a sperm bank baby, it's another dude's. Also, I think if you were to add up all the screen time that's been devoted to the pregnancy prior to this episode, it'd easily be less than 10 minutes. Not exactly what I would call a "ton" of time, especially when compared to shows like Scrubs or Friends where it takes up a healthy chunk of an entire season. Then again, this pregnancy apparently "covered two seasons."

Overall, I thought the episode was pretty flat. A few lol moments, but definitely not one of the series' best. I hope they write Jan out of the show eventually. That character ran out of steam a long time ago.
Old 10-17-08, 12:42 PM

Loved the ending more than anything else in the episode.

Loved some bits, but Jan and the baby just didn't do it for me.

Dwight with the stroller though - great. I'm confused as to how/why they didn't have Jan's reaction to the nearly destroyed stroller? I guess it was more just so the viewer could be left knowing she'd see it when she got home... a little disappointing, though.

It didn't even cross my mind what Angela would be doing with the baby - until they showed her with the fruits and veggies. Hilarious!
Old 10-17-08, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
I'm confused as to how/why they didn't have Jan's reaction to the nearly destroyed stroller?
I thought they didn't show it because the stroller actually survived and proved Dwight wrong. I mean, Dwight was going to so many different places and trying so many different things to bang up that stroller but he was never succeeding.
Old 10-17-08, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Great episode and easily one of the best Office episodes ever! Laughed my ass off through most of it.
Old 10-17-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No driving into a lake or holding pizza boys hostage so this one gets a from me.
Old 10-17-08, 01:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm just waiting until Pam's new boy friend at Pratt is gonna stir up the shit-storm between her and Jim. Just waiting for that inevitable payoff....
Old 10-17-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
I don't get why Jan told him not to date Holly, was it because she doesn't want him happy?
I thought it was because in the brief interaction she had with Hollis, that Jan realized she's so entirely the female equivalent of Michael that any relationship she (Holly) and Michael have may result either in the creation of either an Anti-Michael or (god help us all) a Super Michael.

That and Jan's a horrible shrew who undermines Michael's happiness at every turn.
Old 10-17-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
No, its just simply because she's a complete bitch to Michael. I was so glad to see Michael ignore her and go immediately ask out Holly.
I thought it was that she saw right through Michael's attempts to be mean to Holly and see what he really thought of her and was trying to warn him to not act on his feelings since it'll end badly for him.

Originally Posted by kajs
Could Pam not have walked out of the laundromat when she couldn't hear Jim??
Not unless she wants to walk home without any clothes or basket.
Old 10-17-08, 01:53 PM

When Dwight was dragging the stroller behind his car I kept feeling like a cop was going to pull him over and it would be this whole big thing haha.
Old 10-17-08, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I'm just waiting until Pam's new boy friend at Pratt is gonna stir up the shit-storm between her and Jim. Just waiting for that inevitable payoff....
a. thats what she said.

b. not gonna happen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.