Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Kath & Kim" - Pilot - 10/09/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 01:47 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Kath & Kim - "Pilot" - 10/09/08

Horrible, horrible show. I don't know what the people behind this were thinking. Im guessing this will quickly become one of this season's first cancellations unless, as has been rumored, NBC really doesnt have anything else to throw against the wall.

I know nothing about the Australian show it is based on but I understood it to be a fun kooky sitcom in the vein of Absolutely Fabulous or Nighty Night with characters who are crazy but you grow to love.

On paper Molly Shannon seems perfect for this kind of show. Too bad she is playing the straight man. Im guessing her character has been totally neutered by too many test audience screenings.

As for Selma Blair, I don't know what she is thinking other than this is a quick paycheck until it gets cancelled 2 episodes from now and she can go back to her modest but reasonably successful film career. Her character is beyond unlikeable to the point where its not even plausible that the mother would put up with her! I kept waiting for someone to slap her across the face. Who would put up with someone like that and what does it say about 'Kath' that her daughter is an annoying lazy selfish bitch?

I get that Selma's characters is supposed to be over the top annoying to play against breezy kooky Molly but since neither character is hitting the mark the show just turns into something you sit through and ask yourself 'what the hell was that?' It felt like I was watching a show where all the punchlines had been removed.

The voiceovers of each character's thoughts felt like they had been tacked on to try to make show more bearable to sit through or clarify why everyone in the cast was acting like a lunatic.

The tone is all wrong, the premise doesnt work and I haven't laughed this hard since Cavemen. In fact compared to this, My Name is Earl (which has clearly run its course) seems like a friggin masterpiece!

I'd rather sit through more Presidential debates than watch more of this and that's saying something!

Did anyone else watch this dreck waiting for 'The Office' to start?

Last edited by bluesix; 10-10-08 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watch My Name Is Earl and The Office, and seeing how I like Molly Shannon and Selma Blair, I figured I'd give it a shot. Not a good decision, but I'll give it one more week then I drop it if it still sucks.
Old 10-10-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I caught about half of it. Glad I missed the other half.
Old 10-10-08, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
My wife bailed after fifteen minutes.
Old 10-10-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucked ballz. I'll give it one more chance but it blew.
Old 10-10-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Can't believe Tom Shales loved this show. Just saw on Metacritic most critics panned it big time. I like Shannon and Blair, even the actor who played Shannon's BF/fiance, but the characters are so unlikeable. And mostly unfunny.
Old 10-10-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like most people here, I thought it was a crap fest. Just atrocious in every way. I'll give it one more week for now. But I doubt it'll be any good. At all.
Old 10-10-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

downloaded it in HD on Xbox live marketplace for free, only watched the first couple minutes, but only reason i was instrested in this show was Selma Blair
Old 10-10-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
Selma Blair

I didn't realize she was older than me. She is 36 years old and from right over here in Southfield, MI. She looks like she's in her mid 20s.
Old 10-10-08, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Apparently NBC reshot most of this episode since they didn't like the first pilot...and this is what they were happy with?
Old 10-10-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I didn't realize she was older than me. She is 36 years old and from right over here in Southfield, MI. She looks like she's in her mid 20s.
I read an article that said she and Molly Shannon were only 7 years apart in age. Selma looks great, but she doesn't look like she's in her early 20's, which is what the character is supposed to be (mid-to-late twenties...maybe). The show sucked - I suspect NBC will keep this show on life support - hammocked between Earl & The Office through the November sweeps period so that they can claim it's the "most-watched new comedy of the season". They'll probably also add a laugh track so viewers will know where to find the humor.
Old 10-10-08, 11:00 AM

This is an awful show. Bluesix, you should check out the Australian version. It's really funny and works. It's similar in tone and feel to AbFab. This is a pale and unfunny reflection of greatness. The original creators worked on this version so I'm sure it's the network that ruined it. Things like this and AbFab work in other countries because they're crude, not afraid to offend and the actors aren't afraid to look silly and unattractive.

It was clear it wouldn't work when they picked Selma Blair and it is the foundation that makes the whole thing fall down. It's not her fault and I like her a lot but the character in the Aussie version was big (tall) and overweight and not ugly but not hot & sexy like Selma. Her muffin top poked out of her ridiculous clothes and she had a huge ass. When she said "I'm a trophy wife" it was obviously ridiculous and funny. The Aussie character was awful and unlikeable too but she had an air of unreasonable superiority that was funny. Selma is just whiny. There are so many more reasons but this is a fundamental.

They're trying to do AbFab here again too, just stop.

Last edited by celmendo; 10-10-08 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-10-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
downloaded it in HD on Xbox live marketplace for free, only watched the first couple minutes, but only reason i was instrested in this show was Selma Blair
Yeah, but what's up with the gut? I know it's supposed be white trashy. But so not
Old 10-10-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by celmendo
This is an awful show. Bluesix, you should check out the Australian version. It's really funny and works. It's similar in tone and feel to AbFab. This is a pale and unfunny reflection of greatness. The original creators worked on this version so I'm sure it's the network that ruined it. Things like this and AbFab work in other countries because they're crude, not afraid to offend and the actors aren't afraid to look silly.

It was clear it wouldn't work when they picked Selma Blair and it is the foundation that makes the whole thing fall down. It's not her fault and I like her a lot but the character in the Aussie version was big (tall) and overweight and not ugly but not hot & sexy like Selma. Her muffin top poked out of her ridiculous clothes and she had a huge ass. When she said "I'm a trophy wife" it was obviously ridiculous and funny. The Aussie character was awful and unlikeable too but she had an air of unreasonable superiority that was funny. Selma is just whiny. There are so many more reasons but this is a fundamental.

They're trying to do AbFab here again too, just stop.
I agree with you. I also watched the Aussie version and grew to really like it. What's weird is that I could see the same exact script being done by the Aussie cast and having it work. As good as some of the actors are in the U.S. version, I just don't think they are at all right for these parts. Shannon is probably the closest, but she's not flighty enough. And Selma just isn't unattractive enough, not to say that the Aussie actress is ugly, but she played it as though she were fat and unappealing but thought she was hot. The tone was just all wrong. Well, everything was pretty much all wrong.

For anyone at all intrigued by the premise, give the Aussie version a try. It used to play on Sundance, if I remember correctly. It took me an ep or two to get into it, but it's pretty good.
Old 10-10-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yeah, but what's up with the gut? I know it's supposed be white trashy. But so not
Actually I kinda liked how she looked in that shot. A little belly looks cute.
Oh and the show sucked.

Last edited by arminius; 10-10-08 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add show dislike
Old 10-10-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ashame Molly can't find a perfect vehicle for her talent.
Old 10-10-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Ashame Molly can't find a perfect vehicle for her talent.
Her character on Will & Grace was fitting, but only a guest role.
Old 10-10-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I lasted through about 5 minutes of this show. My gf managed to watch the whole episode, only to say at the end "wow, that was bad."
Old 10-10-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Zap2it:
"My Name Is Earl," 4.4/7, and the premiere of "Kath & Kim," 4.7/7, were third for NBC.

It had decent ratings so I don't think it'll be cancelled just yet. As long as Selma Blair keeps wearing those outfits.... there was a funny moment at the beginning of the show (not sure if it was the opening credits) where she calls someone low-class and walks away with her thong showing about 8 inches above her butt.
Old 10-10-08, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought it was pretty bad, but there were enough flashes of potential that I'm going to stick with it for another week. After all, the first episode of the U.S. version of the Office was pretty bad (then again, the first episode of the U.S. version of Coupling was pretty bad).
Old 10-10-08, 02:27 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I tuned out after 10 minutes.
Old 10-10-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daytripper
That's more keeping in line with the Aussie, that she was fat but didn't dress like it at all. I imagine the director probably took a lot of time to try to find a way for Selma Blair to sit so her tummy stuck out. The illusion was pretty lost once she stood up.
Old 10-10-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Selma Blair is too hot for this role. The Aussie version just had a trashy appeal that was too hard to duplicate.
Old 10-10-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think that picture says it all. I actually think Selma Blair could be good in the role, but show runners would have to be willing to ugly her up a bit, for lack of a better description. I almost expected her to wear a mini-fat suit. Nothing too huge, but just enough to make her a little overweight.
Old 10-10-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I thought it was pretty bad, but there were enough flashes of potential that I'm going to stick with it for another week. After all, the first episode of the U.S. version of the Office was pretty bad (then again, the first episode of the U.S. version of Coupling was pretty bad).
The first episode of the US version of The Office mirrored the original UK version -- after that the US version forged its own path in the same environment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.