Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday Night Lights -- "Tami Knows Best" -- 10/8/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights -- "Tami Knows Best" -- 10/8/08

Old 10-11-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20 View Post
Benny Ciaramello booked a pilot so I don't believe he was available to recur again on FNL.

Yes, but they should have had someone say something. He wasn't a big star on the show, but his storyline was significant. There should have been mention of where he went... College? Military? It wouldn't have taken more than a minute to have Buddy mention something to Lyla:
"Hey, I heard of Santiago and he's seems to be doing well at such and such".

This and Matt's father basically abandoning him bugs me.
Old 10-12-08, 02:20 AM

What's so bad about squab?
Old 10-12-08, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Smash story was great

Matt's stuff was quite good

i agree Riggins is getting annoying
Old 10-12-08, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DangerousG View Post
What's so bad about squab?

Nothing. Squab is excellent. I love pigeon. But like chicken, you don't eat it RARE or raw for that matter.
Old 10-12-08, 12:03 PM

Yea i know, but Tim was already getting strange looks from everybody before he ordered it rare.
Old 01-23-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Tami Knows Best" -- 10/8/08

I didn't see a broadcast edit thread, but I am feeling lazy to make a new one since this is tonight's episode.
Old 01-23-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I'm watching these on NBC, I've only seen the 1st 2 episodes obviously, but these 2 episodes were better than all of season 2.

As much as I love seeing the Landry/Tyra, Eric/Tami/Julie, football, Smash/Smash family storylines, my favorite is Matt and his grandma.

The idea that a 17 year old kid is trying to keep up in school, lead the football team, have some sort of social life and on top of all of that, take care of his deteriorating grandmother is one that could have been handled clumsily or wrongly, but in the FNL writers hands and the superb acting of Zach Gilford and Louanna Stephens, it becomes engrossing and heartbreaking.

I wonder what the wake up call for Tim Riggins is going to be. He has all the talent in the world, but would rather throw it all away. He needs someone like Momma Smash to keep him on track.

I understand where Tami is coming from, but I also understand where Buddy and the boosters are coming from, so it'll be interesting to see how JumboTronGate is resolved.

You know you're invested in the future of a fictional character when every time that characters gets hit, you hope that his knee is okay.

I got a Tracy FLICK vibe from Tami's opponent in the election. Too bad none of the guys at my high school who ran for student president had dancers promoting him.

Is the Landing Strip the only strip joint in town? I expected someone to question why Mr. Trucks knew where the girls were from.

From the looks of the previews for next time, it looks like Tim Riggins continues to go down the downward spiral.

If the rest of the episodes keep up the quality of these first two, I'll be beating the drum loud and clear for the Academy to bestow as many Emmy nominations as possible on this fantastic show.
Old 01-24-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very good last night, since this also my first time watching these episodes. My favorite moments from last night came from Matt and his Grandma. I never experienced this type of situation at 17, but saw my grandma begin to have deteriorating health in college in a very similar fashion, and it was just as heartbreaking. I hope Tyra doesn't get put off by what Tammi said to her, and its great to see Matt and Julie begin to reconnect.
Old 01-24-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Friday's episode dropped alot.

It got 3.96M viewers and a 1.4 in the 18-49 demographic.

Howie do it is probably the worst lead-in for FNL.

CBS' lineup dominated the night. GW got over 11M viewers, Flashpoint for 10.2M and Numbers got 10.8M.

I can't see FNL's numbers getting any better. They will probably stay the same or get worse.
Old 01-27-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
Since I'm watching these on NBC, I've only seen the 1st 2 episodes obviously, but these 2 episodes were better than all of season 2.

As much as I love seeing the Landry/Tyra, Eric/Tami/Julie, football, Smash/Smash family storylines, my favorite is Matt and his grandma.

The idea that a 17 year old kid is trying to keep up in school, lead the football team, have some sort of social life and on top of all of that, take care of his deteriorating grandmother is one that could have been handled clumsily or wrongly, but in the FNL writers hands and the superb acting of Zach Gilford and Louanna Stephens, it becomes engrossing and heartbreaking.
Matt is my favorite character. I'm with you, his scenes with his grandmother are simply amazing. Not only that but he has amazing chemistry with Julie, Landry and plays off Coach T great. Michael Cera's got nothing on Gilford when it comes to playing an awkward teen.

I love that they are basically ignoring season 2 altogether. Sucks to see Santiago go, but it's easier to just go from season 1 to season 3. Everything seems to be back to 'normal,' at least by season one standards. The focus is mostly centered back on football, and all the characters are back to the way they were written in season one. Same goes for the relationships. Everything I wanted to see fixed has already been done in the first two episodes. Mainly:

- get rid of Street & Smash (although the writers have done well with Smash in these couple episodes)
- get Matt & Julie back together(at least on good speaking terms)
- get Matt & Landry hanging together again
- Landry & Tyra are friends not lovers
- Lyla's 'Jesus' turn is gone
- Coach & Mrs. T are back to their normal selves
- No mention of the rapist murder plot
- no more Landry playing football

That leaves Riggins. He should have been gone with Street. It still bugs me that him, Lyla & Tyra are still in high school when they have a format that works for working in new characters. To the writers credit, and ignoring last season, they have done a great job convincing me they still are in high school. However, Riggins is saddled with the worst plots this side of Tiffy Gerhardt(of the Unit). I know every school has their 'bad boy' and in his type of situation, but it just seems like too much in the FNL world.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-27-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-27-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am kind of board with the new "better" QB every season. How many times are they going to play this card?
Old 01-27-09, 09:28 AM

My favorite moment from the episode was the full pads practice Saturday night. Smash is alone on the field, then a quick cut to his former team running on the field to support him. Good stuff.
Old 01-27-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Friday's episode dropped alot.

It got 3.96M viewers and a 1.4 in the 18-49 demographic.

Howie do it is probably the worst lead-in for FNL.

CBS' lineup dominated the night. GW got over 11M viewers, Flashpoint for 10.2M and Numbers got 10.8M.

I can't see FNL's numbers getting any better. They will probably stay the same or get worse.
I completely agree. Howie is an awful lead in to this show. But considering it is on Friday. I think those numbers are still decent.
Old 01-27-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About Smash and Street:

Spoiler:
I read that Gauis Charles and Scott Porter will be in 4 episodes each this season, amounting to a swan song for their characters.

When Matt went over to Landry's to borrow his car and Landry opened his bedroom window, I half expected Landry to ask Matt what food he wanted a la drive thru.

Adrianne Palicki in that short skirt and tight t-shirt:
Old 06-08-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm finally watching this season now. I Have no idea why I waited (I think just cause of the screwy schedule it had with it starting in 2009) – I love the show.

I’ve only watched 2 episodes so far, so I don’t know how it gets resolved, but I am absolutely against Tami with her decision about the jumbotron. Yes, it sucks that people don’t want to give money for the academics… But if a booster gives money SPECIFICALLY for a jumbotron, then you should use it for a jumbotron. Same thing goes for any donation. If I donate money to an institution for a specific use, it better be used for what I expected it to be used for.

And that scene with smash alone on the field, then his team comes running out – that’s what makes this show great. Very much like the rain scene from season 1. This is definitely a rebound from season 2. I still liked the show, but there were so many bad storylines. Landry killing that dude, lyla as a bible-thumper, riggings living with that meth dude, Saracen and the live-in nurse, Street going to Mexico. Damn, now that I’ve typed it out, there were a LOT of bad storylines in season 2!

Also, the little scene where coach tells smash (in person) at his house late at night was awesome. And just how he acknowledged the sister on the steps. Such little things that make a scene great. I also like how they’ve kept smash in the show. And glad they got rid of street.
Old 06-08-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Damn, now that Iíve typed it out, there were a LOT of bad storylines in season 2!

I've said it a million times: even the 'bad storylines' were acted out beautifully, Landry confessing was brilliant... and even though they weren't the greatest storylines.. the writing was still better than most on what's on television today.
I don't like calling them bad storylines, I call them weak storylines.
Old 06-08-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
This is definitely a rebound from season 2. I still liked the show, but there were so many bad storylines. Landry killing that dude, lyla as a bible-thumper, riggings living with that meth dude, Saracen and the live-in nurse, Street going to Mexico. Damn, now that I’ve typed it out, there were a LOT of bad storylines in season 2!
One of the great things about season 3 is that they pretty much ignore 98% of what happened in season 2. About the only things that remain are the Taylors have a new kid as does Street. Unfortunately Santiago was lost in the mix.

Speaking of, they live in Texas, how come there aren't any more hispanic kids at the school or on the team?
Old 06-08-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Speaking of, they live in Texas, how come there aren't any more hispanic kids at the school or on the team?
They didn't go over well with the focus groups, so they were dropped from the cast.

Just kidding ..... or am I?
Old 06-09-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby View Post
I've said it a million times: even the 'bad storylines' were acted out beautifully, Landry confessing was brilliant... and even though they weren't the greatest storylines.. the writing was still better than most on what's on television today.
I don't like calling them bad storylines, I call them weak storylines.
oh, i will never bash the acting on this show. i enjoyed Season 2 for the acting, but those storylines were bad ideas. There was so much else they could have done - they could have gone in ANY other directions. I almost put the riggins/single mom storyline in there, too, then remembered that was the end of season 1.
Old 06-09-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe more Hispanics will show up at
Spoiler:
East Dillon
next season?