Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I bother getting involved with HEROES?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Should I bother watching HEROES?
Yes
46.48%
No
39.44%
It isn't a simple yes/no (explain below)
14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all,

I seek the advice of my fellow couch potatoes.

I have Heroes on blu-ray-- both seasons 1 and 2-- but I haven't gotten around to watching yet. I've been interested in watching for quite some time now, but I hear mostly negative things about season 2 and mixed things about the start of season 3.

I'm curious if I should even bother getting involved with the show, or if I should sell off the blu-rays (I didn't pay too much for them).

Basically, if the show is declining and it doesn't look good for a rebound, then I'd rather not invest the time. I wouldn't want it to end up being like Smallville: a show that I only continue to watch out of pure obligation. I asked 2 friends if I should bother watching Heroes: 1 said yes, the other said no.

What do you DVDTalkers say?

Adam
Old 10-03-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you've got them both on BD, watch them and decide for yourself if you like it or not.
Old 10-03-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Season was overall very good. Some slow spots, but definitely had some high points. Season 2 was basically terrible, sans some bright spots. Season 3 has started off much better than 2 did, but not as good as 1.
Old 10-03-08, 10:50 PM

Watch season 1. I think it can stand alone. Wait until season 3 unfolds to see if people think it's worth continuing (so far I'm up in the air whether I'm sticking with it).
Old 10-03-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
If you've got them both on BD, watch them and decide for yourself if you like it or not.
I'd agree. Watch some yourself, even if we all say yes, you may not like it. You need to find out for yourself.
Old 10-03-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Heroes is one of those rare shows that has the minimum amount of interesting ideas and attractive women to keep you watching, but enough plot holes and bad writing to drive you batshit insane.
Old 10-03-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given what I have read today that indicates budget issues may have forced big changes to what we have seen of the third season so far, I'm leaning toward no.

If you really don't want to invest the time yet, let the third season play out for a few more weeks and then see where we're at.
Old 10-04-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I'm currently watching Heroes Season 2 right now. I would suggest what I planned to do: watch season 1 & 2 then wait till Season 3 come out on DVD/Blu Ray.
Old 10-04-08, 12:09 AM

Season one was great and blows away anything Smallville ever did. Season 2 is on par with the best and worst of Smallville. So yeah, you'd be obligated by that point.
If you bought it already, then clearly you were interested. Watch it.
Old 10-04-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not a very good show.
Old 10-04-08, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Heroes is one of those rare shows that has the minimum amount of interesting ideas and attractive women to keep you watching, but enough plot holes and bad writing to drive you batshit insane.
That describes it almost perfectly. I'm almost ready to bail on the show, and had I known where it would've ended up, I never would've started.

Never has a show squandered so much of my good will and interest. It's a testament to how much it built up that I haven't quit yet, but I'm almost on empty.
Old 10-04-08, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
To that balance I would add good production values on one side and very bad acting on the other.

Sometimes it feels like an obligation, but honestly I would check it out even if I wasn't invested in it. That said, I watch MNF live and DVR Heroes, Chuck and Terminator on Monday. For the rest of the week Heroes is basically my last resort for entertainment.
Old 10-04-08, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Personal opinion: No, it's like a cheap and cheesy Sci-fi original series with questionable production values. It's a great idea with poor execution.

Popular translation: You may like it and be able to get into it, but imo, there is better television out there (though I don't watch much to begin with).
Old 10-04-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
It depends how much time you have. Do you work alot? Can you devote the time to watching the DVD's in addition to whatever programming you currently watch.

If you blind bought them and have just let them sit on your shelf gathering dust, then maybe you weren't that interested in watching them in the 1st place.
Old 10-04-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Watch Season 1 and then bail. Season 2 was almost a complete waste.
Old 10-04-08, 04:14 AM

No. The first season was okay, the second season was terrible and I cancelled my season pass for the third season after this week's episode. There are much better shows out there that are actually worth the time to get into.
Old 10-04-08, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd also recommend watching just season 1, it stands on it's own quite well
Old 10-04-08, 05:43 AM

I am in the minority (and maybe the only one) that didnt mind season 2. While Season 1 was much better, I personally wouldnt call Season 2 trash. Season 2 though did take a different route that many people didnt like, which is why we see so much hate for it. I would say what the problems were, but I dont want to spoil anything for you. Much of Season 2 was "butchered" though due to the strike.

Season 3 so far isnt bad and probably worth your time as its better than season 2 so far, but not as good as Season 2. In the end though, I would watch Season 1, if you like it watch season 2 (just to keep up with the story at least) Then wait for Season 3 on Blu-ray.....
Old 10-04-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I'm a sucker for Superheroes and I'm happy Smallville isn't the only "hero" show out their since the hero is such a pussy who's afriad to use his powers.

I liked S1 and S2 wasn't nearly as bad as people say. In fact, I think it's just automatic for people to shit on any show's S2. But I digress...watch for yourself. But know that if you're like many here then you'll probably end up not liking it very much.
Old 10-04-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
S1 can be viewed as a standalone story. S2 was hurt by the writers strike but I still liked it but can see why other people wouldn't. I'm loving S3 right not also.

This is my favorite show out right now tied with Battlestar Galatica. So at least watch S1.
Old 10-04-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've tried to watch the show on a few occasions but the acting is just so bad I can't get into it. Not that I'm a stickler for good acting, just the acting on the show jumps out at my as so bad it makes me not want to watch. Still, a lot of people like it so if you have them why not watch them?
Old 10-04-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
I have Heroes on blu-ray-- both seasons 1 and 2-- but I haven't gotten around to watching yet.
you made it ALMOST as far as I did. I got about half way through the first episode of S1 before I bailed!

The last month or two I've been thinking about giving it another go, but with what people have been saying about S2 ans S3 I think I probably made the right choice.
Old 10-04-08, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It depends how much time you have. Do you work alot? Can you devote the time to watching the DVD's in addition to whatever programming you currently watch.

If you blind bought them and have just let them sit on your shelf gathering dust, then maybe you weren't that interested in watching them in the 1st place.
I COULD devote the time to watching it, but I could certainly find other uses for that time.

What happened was this: I bought season 1 last year post-Black Friday for 18.99 on DVD. I knew I wasn't going to get around to it for a little while, however. Fast-forward to February: new TV and a blu-ray player (PS3). I got involved with blu-rays and forgot about my DVDs. Then, Heroes came out on blu and I decided I'd rather experience the show in HD. Then it was a matter of waiting for a good deal. I got season 2 in the Borders 80% off "sale", but my order for season 1 failed; I finally got it a few days ago.

Some of you have said I should just give it a whirl, but really, if there is at least somewhat of a consensus that the show is on a decline (or has always sucked), then I'd rather sell the blus and pump that money into something else. I probably can't watch season 1 on its own, because of my compulsions. I mean, come on, I can't even stop watching Smallville, which has devolved into one of the worst scripted shows on television!
Old 10-04-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I COULD devote the time to watching it, but I could certainly find other uses for that time.

What happened was this: I bought season 1 last year post-Black Friday for 18.99 on DVD. I knew I wasn't going to get around to it for a little while, however. Fast-forward to February: new TV and a blu-ray player (PS3). I got involved with blu-rays and forgot about my DVDs. Then, Heroes came out on blu and I decided I'd rather experience the show in HD. Then it was a matter of waiting for a good deal. I got season 2 in the Borders 80% off "sale", but my order for season 1 failed; I finally got it a few days ago.

Some of you have said I should just give it a whirl, but really, if there is at least somewhat of a consensus that the show is on a decline (or has always sucked), then I'd rather sell the blus and pump that money into something else. I probably can't watch season 1 on its own, because of my compulsions. I mean, come on, I can't even stop watching Smallville, which has devolved into one of the worst scripted shows on television!
If it entertains you, then nothing else really matters.
Old 10-04-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

So why are you so hesitant? Just pop disc 1 of season 1 and start watching. Your Blu Rays are bought and paid for.

Personally, IMO season 1 was great and did a good job setting up the series.

Season 2 was flawed, but is nowhere as bad as so many people are saying it is. Season 2 was primarily hurt by the writer's strike.

People are just going to continue to give you mixed opinions in your thread. Just pop it in and you be the judge. There are worst ways to use 34 hours of your life.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-04-08 at 02:37 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.