Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I bother getting involved with HEROES?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Should I bother watching HEROES?
Yes
46.48%
No
39.44%
It isn't a simple yes/no (explain below)
14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Should I bother getting involved with HEROES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Season One ranks right up there with Season 1 of Lost and Alias. Amazing TV. Watch it for that alone.
Old 10-04-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Finisher
Watch Season 1 and then bail. Season 2 was almost a complete waste.
+1

I tried to get into season 2, and even tried the premiere of season 3, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Definitely check out season 1 though.
Old 10-04-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Season 1 was good, although ended up rather anticlimactic. Season 2 was a difficult watch.
Old 10-05-08, 10:55 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

If you like the idea of a show patterned after a comic book and involving super powered beings, try it out. I never saw the full show until I reviewed the season sets here (Heroes S1 and Heroes S2 in Blu-ray) and I'm convinced after checking out S3 as it airs that watching the discs without commercials, holiday breaks, and the like, makes for a much better experience overall. S2 did NOT suck as some have claimed (making me wonder exactly how much of the show they watched before drawing the conclusion) but S1 was better for a number of reasons.

In short, give it a chance and it may grow on you as it has for so many others.
Old 10-06-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Season One ranks right up there with Season 1 of Lost and Alias. Amazing TV. Watch it for that alone.
No, not really.
Old 10-06-08, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Houstondon
S2 did NOT suck as some have claimed (making me wonder exactly how much of the show they watched before drawing the conclusion)
So the fact that creator Tim Kring felt it necessary to publicly apologize to fans for Season 2 being so "disappointing" in order to keep them watching means nothing? Come on man, even though you may have liked it, it's pretty well accepted that it was a poor season.
Old 10-06-08, 01:52 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Eric D.
So the fact that creator Tim Kring felt it necessary to publicly apologize to fans for Season 2 being so "disappointing" in order to keep them watching means nothing? Come on man, even though you may have liked it, it's pretty well accepted that it was a poor season.
While it did not live up to the potential of the subject matter and was not nearly as good as S1, that does not mean it was devoid of entertainment value (to the point where some have said it was terrible, the worst show on TV, blah blah blah). That Kring saw the ratings drop, read the message boards of the fickle fandom websites, and felt he might bring some people back into the fold by "apologizing" is nothing new either. I hope S3 is better myself but for popcorn fun, it could have been much, much worse.
Old 10-06-08, 02:13 AM

I hope S3 is better myself but for popcorn fun, it could have been much, much worse.
True, Season 2 could've been worse had the strike not mercifully brought the year to a premature end.

It was bad TV. The storyline felt like a reboot. The plotholes were glaring. Nearly every new character was worthless. And Kring and Co. wrote themselves into a corner by making Peter and Sylar virtually invincible and introducing deus ex machinas like Hiro's time traveling and Claire's magic healing blood.

The real problem with Season 2 wasn't that it sucked(which it did). It's that it was so awful in its execution, that I don't know how the series can plausibly rebound from all of that.
Old 10-06-08, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, not really.
Sorry, should have prefaced it with IMO (I guess)
Old 10-06-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. The show is a shadow of its former self. Don't waste your time.

Moderator. Please close this thread.
Old 10-06-08, 03:11 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by madcougar
No. The show is a shadow of its former self. Don't waste your time.

Moderator. Please close this thread.
Maybe he should enjoy S1 and take it from there. Over half the people in the poll that picked a straightforward answer selected "Yes" and most of those that picked the "not so easy" choice have suggested S1 was decent. He already has the discs and despite comments about how terrible the series is overall (did they watch the entire run, S1, S2, or what?!? After all, if they hated so much, why keep watching it?), it seems pretty evident that despite some flaws, it is watched by a lot of people. If you're expecting a hard science show, skip it. If you're expecting brilliant acting or writing, skip it and every other broadcast series. If you're looking for a fun show with plenty of quirks, at least check out S1.
Old 10-06-08, 05:17 PM

While it did not live up to the potential of the subject matter and was not nearly as good as S1, that does not mean it was devoid of entertainment value (to the point where some have said it was terrible, the worst show on TV, blah blah blah).
Season 2 having some degree of entertainment value is not the issue at hand. Almost every show has some degree of entertainment value. The point is that many, including myself, feel that season 2 was awful. It's fine if you liked it, but just because it could have been "much, much worse" does not not justify all the mistakes made.

And I don't mean to come off like I'm picking on you, because that's not my intention. I just find it funny that you think the reason why so many people hate season 2 is due to a snap judgement early on in the season where we all decided to hate it. That's kind of silly.
Old 10-06-08, 06:52 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Season 2 having some degree of entertainment value is not the issue at hand. Almost every show has some degree of entertainment value. The point is that many, including myself, feel that season 2 was awful. It's fine if you liked it, but just because it could have been "much, much worse" does not not justify all the mistakes made.

And I don't mean to come off like I'm picking on you, because that's not my intention. I just find it funny that you think the reason why so many people hate season 2 is due to a snap judgement early on in the season where we all decided to hate it. That's kind of silly.
I'm probably just splitting hairs over degrees of like/dislike for the show. I really liked S1 a lot despite some gaping plot holes, inconsistent acting, and a host of issues that should have been worked out well in advance. S2 was truncated due to the strike, forcing the show to eliminate many planned plots, weakening the use of certain characters, and further showing some of the inherent flaws from S1 without the flashes of brilliance so many people raved about (keep in mind that I was a very late adopter of the show).

To me, S2 wasn't "awful" and to me, the show did not "suck" (which I equate with a show being devoid of any entertainment value because a great many shows airing in the past have absolutely no such value to me (hence my comments). It was more flawed than S1 to be sure and I can understand why so many were upset over it, but my intention here is to help give the OP something to think about as he asked an honest question about the show. While some claim the show was always terrible, a great many more suggest that at least S1 is worth checking out (and he has a copy of both seasons in his possession).

If the standard he is comparing it to is Smallville, another show with "magic healing blood" and nearly invincible characters, I suggest that Heroes will be a LOT better than what he is forcing himself to watch. And in general, it has always struck me as curious when some people claim a show is horrible, terrible, sucks donkey balls, and all sorts of negative descriptions are used by them when my experience is that few people continue watching a show they hate so much. How many episodes of lousy plots/acting/whatever do most people put up with? That's why I pondered if the viewing experience is different between a show as it airs and a show on disc (I greatly favor disc myself). Otherwise, I respect that awil1026 will find no help from the masses as there is no consensus about the show, though S2 is much weaker than S1, S1 can be watched as a standalone show to be enjoyed.

So no hard feelings on my end of the discussion. I'd rather talk about what makes it work for some and not for others than close my mind off to the matter (and appreciate that you understand that).
Old 10-06-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
If you already own it, I don't see what's so bad about just putting it in and watching a few episodes. If you have to think about it, then don't bother. It's just a TV show.
Old 10-06-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
No.

No.

No.