Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Apprentice 2---Series Discussion--Thursday's on NBC starting January '09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Celebrity Apprentice 2---Series Discussion--Thursday's on NBC starting January '09

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Celebrity Apprentice -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- Premieres 3/1/09

I loved that Annie got faked out by the Donald as he summarily crushed her dreams of being the new Celebrity Apprentice.

Tom Green slayed me in most of his footage in this finale.
Old 05-10-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't like either of them. Annie deserved to win but I'm happy she didn't. What an annoying ego on this bitch.

Originally Posted by Patman
I loved that Annie got faked out by the Donald as he summarily crushed her dreams of being the new Celebrity Apprentice.

Tom Green slayed me in most of his footage in this finale.
Agree with both points. The stupid Annie smile and raised hands right before he dashed her dreams with an "Annie, You're Fired". Awesome.

And Tom Green was once again the man this episode. Fired way too soon.
Old 05-10-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TruGator
I couldn't believe they didn't make a bigger deal out of the designer quitting because of Rivers...and then she called Annie a liar about the whole thing. Huh?
Joan could've stabbed someone at the event and she still would've won. Nothing really mattered since Trump obviously thought Joan was the bigger star.

I don't even like Annie but the way Joan painted her as a two faced, dishonorable liar was pure projecting. Earth to Joan, it's a competition, there's nothing wrong with trying to win, which was all Annie was doing. None of Joan's ridiculous accusations had any merit whatsoever.
Old 05-10-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm so glad Annie lost, I hated that bitch with a passion!!!!
Joan slayed her in everything but fund raising tonight....
Old 05-11-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked Brande's blue dress...
Old 05-11-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, the decision was fucking bullshit. Clearly the best man lost. Annie is a much better leader, decision maker, hard worker and business person. And not once did she bow or sink to the vicious level that witch did. Joan Rivers is the most despicable and vile human being I've ever seen. And her hideously ugly daughter is a close second. How on earth can anyone like her?
Old 05-11-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
I don't even like Annie but the way Joan painted her as a two faced, dishonorable liar was pure projecting. Earth to Joan, it's a competition, there's nothing wrong with trying to win, which was all Annie was doing. None of Joan's ridiculous accusations had any merit whatsoever.
The thing is that Annie consistently proved that she wasn't the vile things that Joan said about her. How many friends does Annie have? She seemed to have a pretty unlimited supply of people willing and able to help her with just about anything at the drop of a hat. Nasty, vile people don't usually have that unless they are paying them.
Old 05-11-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I've always liked Tom Green, but if that traffic light had decapitated him it would have been the greatest thing ever.
Old 05-11-09, 12:53 AM

what I don't get is.......

They can edit the show any way they want.

With what they showed throughout the season, it showed Joan and Melissa very negatively with all the quotes and attacks (Hitler, whores, etc etc).

Joan didn't "win" much, wasn't much of a "leader", didn't "raise" much.

...and with the final task, again I don't think the drag queens brought much to the table.

Again through the entire season Anne showed (or atleast the edits showed) not only able to raise money for charity, but that she knew how to "play the game" of Apprentice (while Joan just complained, threw a fit - especially if Melissa was being challenged, etc).

I'm sure some disagree and "hate Anne" and "love Joan" from the start, but overall it doesn't appear that the majority of the public or the viewers feel that way (especially in consideration of in terms of the "game").

So it's appears the Donald wanted to hire his friend, or she would hold a HUGE grudge. I can't imagine the producers in general could agree (after showing Joan basically scare off the planners and having / making the charity do the work themselves vs. Anne having the "business / Apprentice" connections).

Again, if they knew / wanted Joan as the apprentice from the beginning they should have edited the show differently from the beginning.

At the end of the day, I believe this was a last minute GIFT to Joan from NBC / Producers / Trump.
Because they had her so pissed off / grudge, they just threw her a bone since she is bigger in the "entertainment industry" and by winning the show it could help "redeem" her characterization she received from the show and it could be downplayed after the fact, since it "couldn't have been that bad what she did, because after all she 'won'".
Old 05-11-09, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The thing is that Annie consistently proved that she wasn't the vile things that Joan said about her. How many friends does Annie have? She seemed to have a pretty unlimited supply of people willing and able to help her with just about anything at the drop of a hat. Nasty, vile people don't usually have that unless they are paying them.
agreed.

And I think Annie summarized it best in her closing arguments.

"if the competition is about raising money....she did better"
"if it's about winning more challenges.....she did better"
"if it's about winning / doing stuff as project manager...she did better"

Joan really didn't do much throughout the show, really did she?
In terms of contribution / production on the jobs, other than provide (negative) entertainment (what will she say next type stuff).

So obviously where Annie was "wrong" was what this competition was about.

this is very unlike prior years.
Atleast last year you can easily argue that Pierce was a stronger player than "nice guy" Trace.
And you could agree / disagree in any regular season of Apprentice decisions, but I would think you could atleast see some of the rationale of atleast an argument that the "best player" won.

I think it's very hard to argue that what Joan did throughout the season in terms of production and contribution warranted anything close to winning...............other than providing some sort of entertainment with the feuds.
Old 05-11-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Right. I'm saying Joan was projecting onto Annie her own attributes. Joan lied throughout the season, she was two faced and unrelentingly vicious. Basically Joan was all the things she accused Annie of being.

Annie's brother is Howard Lederer (we saw him in the final challenge) who co-owns Full Tilt Poker, the biggest online poker site. 30+ poker pros co-own, sponsor and make money off the site. Her brother has the largest ownership stake and I've read he makes close to 1 million per month from the site. Hence, Annie can call for favors and money is literally no object with these people.

Last edited by Finisher; 05-11-09 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by briank
...and with the final task, again I don't think the drag queens brought much to the table.
And that's the biggest thing I don't get. I'm sure the drag queens were fun, and that there was more energy in the room because they were there, but it just seems almost preposterous that a company like Kodak would willingly choose a charity event populated with drag queens versus the classy event Annie seemingly put on.

And that's the criteria Joan won the show on.
Old 05-11-09, 01:18 AM

Well, that's just because they are mafia people, it's not like they have real jobs

Ok does anyone think the whole designer quitting at the last minute was not completely staged by Trump or the show? Right down to the 'don't bring the cameras in here' or we will lose out on all the good boardroom drama and maybe find out the truth. Call me a conspiracy nut, but things around that whole situation seemed too damn convenient.

While the outcome was clear 1/2 way through the season, I kept holding out hope that Trump would do the right thing and show himself as a businessmen who can make sound, unemotional decisions... but the TV producer in him won out.

I found it amusing that Joker Jr (Melissa) wouldn't even own up to being embarrassed and admit her temper tantrum was maybe a bit over the top. I think the audience learned a lot about the character of people in how they handled themselves during adversity. And just once you were starting to get an ounce of sympathy for Dennis and after he spoke nicely ( I can't quite say eloquently) about Chuck Daly's passing, he gets all vindictive with Jesse...

Last few things:
- Joan had more of a celebrity presence at her event? Who, Kathy Griffin and some other folks you wouldn't know until they put the subtitle identifiers in? It looked like a VH1 reality show, right down to the drag celebrity impersonators.
- Clint was gold about telling Trump he should fire the editors! Trump (or I should say the producers) really went out of their way to paint Annie as a ruthless person to justify the outcome. (and clearly this was done to others throughout the show.
Old 05-11-09, 01:22 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

It was great to see Joan win. Been a fan of hers for a long time and she really brought a lot of class and dignity to the whole competition. The promotional piece about her charity almost brought a tear to my eye. It's obvious that she cares a great deal for it. In the end, Joan was the best leader and more creative than everybody else. It was also great to see Joan and her daughter team up for the victory (I only wish Joan would have aged gracefully and followed Melissa's lead in refusing to get any plastic surgery).

Annie was too cutthroat for my taste, especially when she actually tried to blame Joan for her own designer quitting on her . I think Annie trying to throw the blame on others instead of just accepting responsiblity for her own mistakes played a big part in her downfall. Yes, Annie raised the most money, but as Joan pointed out, that money is of a questionable nature. Joan's money is 100 percent clean. Annie's....

I also thought Joan did a much better job of getting celebrities to attend her auction. I didn't recognize any of the celeb guests at Annie's event, whereas Joan got A-listers like Kathy Griffin, Kyle McLachlan and Bette Midler to attend.

In the end, I thought Trump picked the right person to win.
Old 05-11-09, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Annie was too cutthroat for my taste, especially when she actually tried to blame Joan for her own designer quitting on her .

I also thought Joan did a much better job of getting celebrities to attend her auction. I didn't recognize any of the celeb guests at Annie's event, whereas Joan got A-listers like Kathy Griffin, Kyle McLachlan and Bette Midler to attend.

it WAS joans fault that the event planners wanted nothing to do with the show. Kathy Griffin? A-lister? seriously? and wasnt that a bette impersonator?
Old 05-11-09, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was great to see Joan win. Been a fan of hers for a long time and she really brought a lot of class and dignity to the whole competition.
Wow. Just Wow.
Old 05-11-09, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It was so weird. I was watching NBC tonight and they had a 3-hour long Kodak commercial on. They even managed to fit commercial breaks into the commercial. Strangest programming I've ever seen.
Old 05-11-09, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It was great to see Joan win. Been a fan of hers for a long time and she really brought a lot of class and dignity to the whole competition. The promotional piece about her charity almost brought a tear to my eye. It's obvious that she cares a great deal for it. In the end, Joan was the best leader and more creative than everybody else. It was also great to see Joan and her daughter team up for the victory (I only wish Joan would have aged gracefully and followed Melissa's lead in refusing to get any plastic surgery).

Annie was too cutthroat for my taste, especially when she actually tried to blame Joan for her own designer quitting on her . I think Annie trying to throw the blame on others instead of just accepting responsiblity for her own mistakes played a big part in her downfall. Yes, Annie raised the most money, but as Joan pointed out, that money is of a questionable nature. Joan's money is 100 percent clean. Annie's....

I'm thinking this whole post has to be a joke, but I just thought I'd point out the funniest lines.
Old 05-11-09, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm thinking this whole post has to be a joke, but I just thought I'd point out the funniest lines.
I prepared a response, then looked at the handle Perkinsun Dseez and assumed it was all sarcasm...

or maybe Joker Jr reads DVDTalk and is defending her Mom yet again? Though this is probably unlikely given all the time she spends 'producing' shows on E, in fact I'm not sure how she managed to squeeze Apprentass in...
Old 05-11-09, 04:18 AM

Yeah, I don't know if this is the effect Trump wants his decision to cause, but I've pretty much decided after tonight's show that I won't be partaking in CA season 3. The inevitable outcome of this season was rather disturbing. I was not a big Annie fan from early on in the season (would rather have seen Brande or Jesse take it), but Joan (and especially Melissa) showed that they are the worst kind of human beings. I really couldn't understand why everyone was always falling all over themselves to worship at the feet of Joan. Joan complained week after week about all the things Annie would say behind peoples' backs (her beloved Melissa was just as bad, if not worse and Joan was no saint when it came to badmouthing Annie and Brande and Clint and...).

It was pretty much cemented that Trump knew he wanted Joan to win looooonng ago and made every attempt to ensure that that happened. Trump fired Khloe for a DUI that happened a year before she was ever on the show. Trump fired Tionne for coming into the boardroom in support of her teammates. Trump essentially fired Dice for quitting. Joan throws tantrums, Joan brings in no money and horrible ideas to the challenges (cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, splaaaash! Really?!?!?), Joan walks out on the show after Melissa's firing... and nobody seemed to notice anything.

And was anybody else laughing at the "celebrity" attendees Joan was asking for? Impersonators for Bette Midler, Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, Carol Channing, and Joan Rivers? Does Joan realize it's not 1979 anymore? Can you image how surprised Joan must have been to discover that there's no longer a single person in New York City that professionally impersonates Charo, Barbie Benton or Rose Marie! Good job Trump, your celebrity apprentice's reference for current pop culture is old episodes of The Love Boat. I'm sure she'll be f*****g cutting edge in the boardroom!

The ironic thing was that when the season began, I actually liked Joan Rivers in a nostalgic kind of way. She was one of the people I liked most when the shows began, but the way she revealed herself to be an unpleasant, shrill, hypocritical person behind the jokes was enough to turn me off to her forever. To insult poker players as "trash" and "members of the mafia" while she, herself, gained quite a bit of her fame and fortune performing for those same Mafiosos and trash poker players during years and years and years on the Vegas strip (back when it was much more mafia run than it is during the current Annie Duke period of time) is insulting to anyone with any intelligence. I would venture a guess that Joan has worked with/for a lot more mafia types than Annie has ever run across.

So congrats Donald, your refusal to fire one of the worst players in the show's history forces me to do you one better; I'm forced to fire "The Apprentice" from my DVR!

Last edited by CliffStephenson; 05-11-09 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 05:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I don't watch this show regularly, but didn't Rivers win because she was voted the best in three out of the five requirements? Seemed like a foregone conclusion after that or do the previous wins play a bigger part?. Not being a regular viewer, Annie Duke is the one that came across as vile and underhanded.
They threw in enough 'requirements' that they could twist the results any way that they wanted. Even when Annie brought in almost three times the amount for her charity than Joan did. Bravo guys!

Also, I must have been watching a different show than you... I always sort of liked Joan Rivers, but in watching the entire season, SHE is the one who came off as a vile and hateful person. If I never hear anything about her again I'd be happy.

Originally Posted by Patman
Probably the similar to the way these people, who got took by the Trumpster felt...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...5_trump07.html

Originally Posted by Steam
Didn't like either of them. Annie deserved to win but I'm happy she didn't. What an annoying ego on this bitch.

Agree with both points. The stupid Annie smile and raised hands right before he dashed her dreams with an "Annie, You're Fired". Awesome.
She has the satisfaction of knowing that she did a better job on EVERY level. It's Trump's (and the producers') disgrace that they lied just to let Joan Rivers win.

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I'm so glad Annie lost, I hated that bitch with a passion!!!!
Joan slayed her in everything but fund raising tonight....
Yeah, because nothing is more entertaining than drag queens.

Ok, that's the funniest post in this entire thread!
Old 05-11-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

CliffStephenson, well said
Old 05-11-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't watch the show, but saw all the commercials. So I popped in here to see who won.

I wonder if this will have an effect on Trump being able to do another celebrity apprentice. Will possible celebs say screw it, I'm not Trumps friend, he is just gonna pick a friend to win.
Old 05-11-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I didn't watch the show, but saw all the commercials. So I popped in here to see who won.

I wonder if this will have an effect on Trump being able to do another celebrity apprentice. Will possible celebs say screw it, I'm not Trumps friend, he is just gonna pick a friend to win.
Nah, the c-listers he will pick, will just be happy to be on TV.
Old 05-11-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It was great to see Joan win. Been a fan of hers for a long time and she really brought a lot of class and dignity to the whole competition (snip)
Did you actually type that with a straight face??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.