DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Futuristic series will depict mass exodus from U.S. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/540659-futuristic-series-will-depict-mass-exodus-u-s.html)

mrpayroll 09-29-08 01:41 PM

Futuristic series will depict mass exodus from U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080929/..._americatown_1

By Nellie Andreeva
Mon Sep 29, 1:34 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - What if the current financial crisis in the U.S. becomes so severe that Americans start to flee the country? Welcome to "Americatown," a Chinatown-like enclave of U.S. immigrants in cities around the world.

HBO is developing the futuristic drama series, which hails from writer Bradford Winters and producers Tom Fontana, Barry Levinson, Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy.

Set 25 to 40 years in the future, when the precipitous decline of the U.S. leads to a mass exodus of its citizens, "Americatown" centers on a cluster of newly arrived American immigrants in a big foreign city.

"By presenting Americans as immigrants in the near future, as both underdog and hero in the drama of global dislocation, we substitute a mirror for the rancor that informs much of the partisan debates on immigration," Winters said.

The deal at HBO caps a decade-long development process for Winters, who at different points shepherded the project as a series, movie, miniseries and a book. His original idea, which he shared with Fontana, was to take a "Traffic"-style look at immigration in present-day New York from different points of view. About a year ago, Winters came up with the futuristic idea that would become "Americatown."

In his research for "Americatown," Winters had explored possible nightmare scenarios that could bring the U.S. to a collapse decades down the road. Among these hypotheticals: the price of oil skyrocketing and natural disasters reaching catastrophic proportions. Then suddenly oil hovered near $150 a barrel this summer, floods hit the Midwest and the South, and Wall Street crashed under the weight of the mortgage crisis.

How does Winters feel seeing a number of the dire circumstances in his fictional tale become reality?

"What is happening right now is such a terrible disaster for so many people and, in some ways, I think it makes it less hard to argue that the events in 'Americatown' are impossible," he said.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Interesting timing and concept!

Chris

Red Dog 09-29-08 01:46 PM

"Love it or leave it!"

Sounds very interesting despite the 'sky-is-falling' assumption.

The Bus 09-29-08 02:15 PM

What if the current financial crisis in the U.S. becomes so severe that Americans start to flee the country? Welcome to "Americatown," a Chinatown-like enclave of U.S. immigrants in cities around the world.
Newsflash! These already exist.

Still, I find this series idea interesting.

HBO really needs to man up and agree to do Y: The Last Man though.

Charlie Goose 09-29-08 02:18 PM

Feh. Why would I want to watch that? The real life financial situation of this country is depressing enough.

wmansir 09-29-08 04:05 PM

I can only imagine how deliciously unhealthy chinafied americanized chinese food must be.

Mordred 09-29-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 8971371)
Newsflash! These already exist.

Still, I find this series idea interesting.

HBO really needs to man up and agree to do Y: The Last Man though.

So long as they do A Song of Ice and Fire first.

fujishig 09-30-08 01:50 PM

Will they be illegal immigrants in other lands, though? I thought that was where much of the debate was about immigration...

Red Dog 09-30-08 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 8973893)
Will they be illegal immigrants in other lands, though? I thought that was where much of the debate was about immigration...

I kind of assumed that or alternatively, they'd at least be economic drains on the resources of whereever they've flocked to.

Doc MacGyver 09-30-08 04:45 PM

Sounds interesting! I love post-apocalyptic stories of how civilization reacts and survives (or not), and this sounds like a cool and (unfortunately) timely twist on it. I'll give it a shot.

-Doc

Tommy Ceez 09-30-08 05:35 PM

Whoever is making this show does not understand the global economy

Should have made it an environmental disaster

superdeluxe 10-01-08 07:16 AM

very interesting, I like post-future style movies/shows.

But HBO needs to hurry up and make lewis and clark.

Tracer Bullet 10-01-08 08:34 AM

It sounds intriguing.

Drop 10-01-08 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez (Post 8974510)
Whoever is making this show does not understand the global economy

Should have made it an environmental disaster

From the description it sounds like a mix of economic and environmental reasons for the exodus.