Survivor Gabon -- 2 hour season premiere -- 9/25/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-25-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Photobucket

Here's a thread for the 2 hour season premiere tonight.

Post Away!!

Last edited by DJariya; 09-25-08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-25-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts
Gahhh! They vote out the girl who walks around in her panties, to the point they are blurred out, and keep grandma?! I'm done!

No I'm not, but still.

Did anyone else laugh when gamer guy was offering her some protein. As part of her boob was blurred out?
Old 09-25-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Did anyone else laugh when gamer guy was offering her some protein. As part of her boob was blurred out?
I missed that. I had to run the DVR back to find it. That was classic. Too bad she couldn't have stayed around longer.

That poor tribe has major issues.
Old 09-25-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She was a tool and deserved to be voted off. Randy also needs to go.

Last edited by whitetigeress; 09-25-08 at 08:34 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 09-25-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
She was a tool and deserved to be voted off. Frank also needs to go.
Who is this "Frank" you speak of?
Old 09-25-08, 08:30 PM

I'll miss the blurred and bony hottie.

Head-wound guy seems rather funny so far.
Old 09-25-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks to be some eye candy for all of us.
Old 09-25-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bigsierra View Post
Who is this "Frank" you speak of?
Whoops..

Randy.
Old 09-25-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This looks like the most boring start to Survivor ever. That coupled with the dumb decisions (tribe selections and the first tribal council) makes you wonder if these people have ever seen Survivor... Keep your strong players initially, worry about threats later in the game.

I am guessing the ex-Olympian was faking her weakness on the climb up the hill. Otherwise, she looked pretty, uhm, un-olympic...
Old 09-25-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leeta View Post
I am guessing the ex-Olympian was faking her weakness on the climb up the hill. Otherwise, she looked pretty, uhm, un-olympic...
But her tennis shoes weighed, like, 10 pounds!
Old 09-25-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate the Fang tribe, and not all that entertained by the Kota tribe. Not a good start to the season so far. All of this "no one wants to be the leader" stuff is uninteresting television.
Old 09-25-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I hate Randy. What a piece of shit.
Old 09-25-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Looks great in HD. That's about the only compliment I have for this snoozer of a season opener.
Old 09-25-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can sit through the two hour finale and the hour long reunion show with no problems, but the two hour opening episode seemed to go on forever.
Old 09-25-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's this way every season. It will take a while for it to get going. It's too bad the person with the most potential to make things interesting on the Fang group is gone.
Old 09-25-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken was sporting wood during the firsts TC when he was walking up!
Old 09-25-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
Seriously, why do they bother putting people like Gillian in? I have no complaints against her in particular, but everyone knows the old lady almost ALWAYS goes first.

And that skank that got voted out first definitely deserved the boot.

And WHY does almost every gay contestant have to be THAT gay?!
Old 09-26-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They must not have learned anything from All-Stars. They sewed up Jonathan's puncture wound and -voila- a raging infection, resulting in mucho antibiotics and several surgeries.

What do they do now? Randy (and I'll speak for the ladies... I don't think anyone minds that marriage is not for him) pokes a hole in head. What do they do... they give him STITCHES?!? Why didn't the medic irrigate it with some sterile water, disinfect it, put some neosporin on it and cover it with a butterfly bandage. That would've been simple and it would've been fine until the tribe was able to boil water. Even though Africa is not an island setting, there are plenty of nasties that would love to take up residence in his head.
Old 09-26-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by leeta View Post
They must not have learned anything from All-Stars. They sewed up Jonathan's puncture wound and -voila- a raging infection, resulting in mucho antibiotics and several surgeries.
The US government figured that out back in WWII when they instructed all armed forces field medics not to stitch up wounds anymore. After they realized that everybody who got stitched up almost invariably ended up with gangrene.
Old 09-26-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
I like how at the start Jeff was boasting about how Gabon was one of the last Edens left on Earth unspoiled by man. Errr ... yeah, I suppose ... until you clowns showed up.

Survivor is just meant to be done in HD, isn't it. About damn time.

I'm not worrying too much about this season yet. I think it always takes a few episodes to get a grasp of the personalities. I think there are some possibilities. I can see Bob becoming a Yau-Man type favorite. And Randy seems pretty funny. I love that a wedding photographer is such a cranky antisocial guy who hates the thought of marriage. And seeing uber-nerd Ken struggle with the physical challenges, alpha male posturing, and naked girls could be fun. Crystal seems like she has some personality. I really hope she was intentionally dogging it in the first challenge (and did she know what this show was - wearing big shoes and a dress?!?).

And some not so good. Fortunately we lost the right 2 people right off the bat. Michelle - how could you go on Survivor and start sulking right away? And maybe we're seeing the flaw of Survivor in HD with her - those close-ups weren't too flattering. And Gillian, right away with being the annoyingly perky old person who sucks at challenges. And I'm already hating Ace (the bald guy). If there's one guy who doesn't deserve to win the million dollars, it's the obnoxious arrogant guy who was born into loads of money. And GC ... I'm getting a "Dreamz" vibe from him, and that's not a good thing. I love how in the opening challenge Jeff was reminding them that their play would show them to be selfish or team-oriented - as GC dashes in front, never looking back.

The others I haven't seen enough of to make any initial impressions. And it's kind of funny how for the most part the people that made the biggest impression are the ones who aren't young and model-pretty. It's not a good sign that we already have a "beautiful people" alliance in the one tribe.

Last edited by brainee; 09-26-08 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-26-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I, for one, will miss the "skank."

I don't watch a lot of reality tv, but I like it to be entertaining.

I like the jackasses and hope they make it maybe half way, before they drive me crazy enough to want to see them go. I like the "good" guys and girls who seem like genuinely nice people. I like the players who are devious and start playing from the beginning. I like the hot guys, so it makes it fair for my wife when I'm enjoying a fairly attractive woman who doesn't mind walking around practically nude.

I don't like the boring types and the old people who are worthless. I have to believe there are fit women about Gillian's age who'd love to be on Survivor. She had no business making the cut.

And while the skank was a stupid player to make herself such a big target by being negative and confrontational or just isolating herself with the geek, she would have been helpful in challenges and it mystified me that they booted her. Maybe it was the edit, but she didn't seem disruptive enough to vote off when winning early challenges trumps most everything else. They might win something, but they are the worst bunch of misfits all on one team ever and it's happened that way (one team being far superior to the other) several times now.

I was going out of my mind watching those first few picks. It was if they had no idea what game they were playing. Finally, after a few picks the stronger group got on track.

They complain about the one guy not being a leader and quitting and no one else is willing to lead? Pathetic. You can lead w/o being a jerk and you can also do so in a way that builds you an alliance; leaders don't automatically just get the boot. Only the ones who go way overboard. And what's the deal with the strong guy who says he doesn't have the right type of management style to be a leader? Lame.

I say give the other team some time before calling them boring. The last few times Survivor has had a completely messed up team (like Steph's first season), they spent a lot of the early time focusing on them.

Sure looked great in HD. Too bad that they can't make it work with TAR.
Old 09-26-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Personality wise, Michelle wasn't really a winner but voting her off was pretty stupid. She was a player and physically better than most of the tribe. She was right, the whole tribe was stupid. I liked that she called everyone out for not giving it 100% during the challenge and the guy that came back and said "you can't give 100% 100% of the time" is a complete jackass. I can understand the negativity is bringing everyone down but it is realistic after all.

And poor Kenny. Video game nerd falls for this girl in 3 days and she gets voted off. Granted, he never had the chance but it still sucks.

I liked the decision to vote out Gillian next. Weak players need to go first. I think they would have won the rolling ball challenge had Gillian been replaced with Michelle.

So far its not the most thrilling season but the first few episodes rarely are anyway. Looks great in HD. There are more than a few hotties on the Kota tribe to boot. Looks like the 4 person alliance in Kota may be the early favorites to go deep.

I liked that they did a school yard pick for the tribes. It's just the order the players went just boggles my mind. The Fang tribe is an absolute mess.
Old 09-26-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts
I never cease to be amazed where they find these carbon blobs - they seem to get dumber every edition. It wasn't even the loser tribe that made the most bonehead decision - why on earth would you send one of the more athletic opponents to Exile Island? Why not send granny? The chances of her finding it are slim and even if she does, that's good - you want her to remain on the opponent's team to drag them down.

Bob is certainly going to become a fan favorite.

The HD looks great.
Old 09-26-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I think they would have won the rolling ball challenge had Gillian been replaced with Michelle.
EXACTLY. These people are complete morons. Who cares if someone is negative? She was one of there top 3 best athletes for sure, obviously best woman. Made no sense at all and I hate when they do that.
Old 09-26-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835 View Post
EXACTLY. These people are complete morons. Who cares if someone is negative? She was one of there top 3 best athletes for sure, obviously best woman. Made no sense at all and I hate when they do that.

The problem is that they seem to want to play the individual strategy game (with everyone assuming they'll get to a merge) from day 1 and not consider what makes the team stronger by subtraction.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.