Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Gabon -- 2 hour season premiere -- 9/25/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I think Kenny could've hit it given some more time. And I'm also always confused at how people dress when the arrive. If I was there id be wearing some survival gear
Old 09-26-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I think Kenny could've hit it given some more time. And I'm also always confused at how people dress when the arrive. If I was there id be wearing some survival gear

Seriously. WTF was that? And that one guy was still wearing his tie at the 2nd TC.
Old 09-26-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
The problem is that they seem to want to play the individual strategy game (with everyone assuming they'll get to a merge) from day 1 and not consider what makes the team stronger by subtraction.
Exactly, this is a team game for the first few weeks. You not only want to win ICs but also food challenges. These idiots all are thinking ahead to individual challenges or they are voting people out based on how much they like them. I don't care how whiny and complainy that first girl was, she made it up the hill quick and would have been very valuable in any physical challenges. They have a few hangers on that they should have gotten rid of first. And yeah, if you are going to do old lady get one that can walk.
Old 09-26-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by arminius
Exactly, this is a team game for the first few weeks. You not only want to win ICs but also food challenges. These idiots all are thinking ahead to individual challenges or they are voting people out based on how much they like them. I don't care how whiny and complainy that first girl was, she made it up the hill quick and would have been very valuable in any physical challenges. They have a few hangers on that they should have gotten rid of first.
Agreed! I couldn't believe they were dumb enough to vote her out first...especially when she made it up that hill so fast!
Old 09-26-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stingermck
I think Kenny could've hit it given some more time.

He could have a million years alone with her in Gabon and there was no way he was hitting that. But it really would have been fun to see her stick around and play that sucker like a fiddle.

What the hell is a professional gamer anyhow? Does he test video games or does he compete in competitions?
Old 09-26-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What the hell is a professional gamer anyhow? Does he test video games or does he compete in competitions?
Probably competitions. They have tournaments around the world for certain games and the winners can make some decent money.
Old 09-26-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He could have a million years alone with her in Gabon and there was no way he was hitting that. But it really would have been fun to see her stick around and play that sucker like a fiddle.

He is (or was) international champion of Super Smash Brothers Melee on the Nintendo Gamecube. There's money in that, especially in the competitions in Asia.
Old 09-26-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
GC seemed like a jerk. Granny was nice as could be asking him to please with sugar on top keep it down at 5 a.m. and he went after her like she'd threatened his street cred. "Ain't nobody gonna be tellin' me when I can and cannot talk." How cool.

No idea what's up with all the ties and suits in the middle of Africa, but I do really like the 57-year-old with the bow tie. He was genius on those puzzles.
Old 09-26-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Agreed! I couldn't believe they were dumb enough to vote her out first...especially when she made it up that hill so fast!
I remeber watching the first survivor and when the merge came. There was the one female that was great at survival tasks and challenges and led her tribe very well. Then at the merge she was voted off. I thought WTF? Why her, she was the best player in both tribes. And now it seems everyone tries to get off those who they feel are too strong. Is this what is meant by the meek shall inherit Gabon?
Old 09-26-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
I like how at the start Jeff was boasting about how Gabon was one of the last Edens left on Earth unspoiled by man. Errr ... yeah, I suppose ... until you clowns showed up.
Have you ever seen some of the extra features on the DVD set of the first Survivor? I thought it was very interesting how eco-conscious the contracts were. If I recall, they actually had to add to the environment after they left. If they damaged any tree, they had to replant another one just like it, no equipment or trash to be left on island, etc. So, I understand what you mean, but apparently they try to be kind to the environment.

As for the episode, it was a mixed bag. A little bit boring, but it had its moments. Best of all was seeing this show finally in HD! It was a tough decision because I can only record 2 shows in HD and had 4 in that time slot! I definitely made the right decision recording this one in HD.
Old 09-26-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by clckworang

As for the episode, it was a mixed bag. A little bit boring, but it had its moments. Best of all was seeing this show finally in HD! It was a tough decision because I can only record 2 shows in HD and had 4 in that time slot! I definitely made the right decision recording this one in HD.

Yeah - same here. I relegated Smallville to SD.
Old 09-26-08, 10:41 AM

I also found the initial choosing of the teams maddening. I can not believe that these people seem to choose people like as if they want someone to go shopping with them. Oh, can anyone figure out why it is that no-one, even years into this show seem to know that it would be a good idea to have a clue as to how to make fire. If I were going to be on this show I would be able to start a fire under water. I just don't get it.
They really blurred the hell out of Michelle, sometimes I couldn't even guess why. Oh well, maybe someday there will be an unedited dvd version of this show.
Old 09-26-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by metman86
I also found the initial choosing of the teams maddening. I can not believe that these people seem to choose people like as if they want someone to go shopping with them.

That was certainly one of the items on my stupidity list.

I also loved how the Olympic track champion (who doesn't want to reveal that fact) was one of the last ones up the hill. If she told her tribemates that she was an Olympian, they'd likely laugh their asses off.
Old 09-26-08, 10:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

After that initial tribal council I'm going to root against Fang for the rest of the season I think. Maybe she wasn't happy happy joy joy, but it's Survivor, not frickin' Disneyland. I knew she was doomed when her tribemates tried to first accuse her of slacking off during the challenge too, and then when she told them otherwise they switched their argument to that pathetic 'can't work all the time' line. They all deserve to go home.
Old 09-26-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by metman86
Oh well, maybe someday there will be an unedited dvd version of this show.
Sigh. I've been asking for this since last year when Amanda was blurred 90% of the time. It just won't happen.
Old 09-26-08, 11:20 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd guess the reason people were wearing what they were is because they were blindsided. I remember reading that the Pearl Islands group was told they were going to meet the press for interviews when in reality they were taking them to the drop off point out in the ocean. I think the producers also have a say in what people will wear. For that reason I don't think I'd stick any dress clothes in my bag if I was going on Survivor.

The rolling ball challenge was very similar to one they had the last time they were in Africa. They also reused some music from that season, when the crummy tribe was dancing around the fire they finally made, that I don't remember hearing since season 3.
Old 09-26-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jim
I'd guess the reason people were wearing what they were is because they were blindsided. I remember reading that the Pearl Islands group was told they were going to meet the press for interviews when in reality they were taking them to the drop off point out in the ocean. I think the producers also have a say in what people will wear. For that reason I don't think I'd stick any dress clothes in my bag if I was going on Survivor.

The first time they did it, it was a blindslide. These idiots should have known better.
Old 09-26-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, with the exception of the awesome HD, a pretty meh episode.
Old 09-26-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uteotw
No idea what's up with all the ties and suits in the middle of Africa, but I do really like the 57-year-old with the bow tie. He was genius on those puzzles.
He's my favorite so far. They kind of ruined it by voting out Michelle, however. I need eye candy on Survivor and naturally when Survivor starts broadcasting in HD they vote the hot one out.

Did anyone else's Survivor go into SD for about 15 minutes during the last half hour?
Old 09-26-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[
Originally Posted by nateman
I need eye candy on Survivor and naturally when Survivor starts broadcasting in HD they vote the hot one out.
Sugar is still in there. Yum!
Old 09-26-08, 01:00 PM

So, blurred camel toe was voted off? From the neck down, she was fabulous. But The Fangs were stupid to vote her off. They probably would have won the 3rd contest if they had kept her and her troublesome attitude would have been fun to watch.

I'm sorry, but ex olympics gal is a tub of lard and I couldn't stop laughing when she couldn't make it up that hill. Hell, I hike up 2300 ft every Saturday morning and I'm double her age. She set herself up, by boldly stating that she was going to smoke everyone during the contests. The only thing she can do well is flap her mouth.

I really like this 2 hour premiere and I think we have a very diverse group of people playing the game. Though, looks wise, the women are so so, but the guys are pretty nice.

When the guy was talking about the gay guy (who liked him) and he said he thought he was a good looking, nice man, but sorry he didn't roll that way, I thought that's exactly the way I would feel.

Looking forwarding to this beautiful HD season!

Chris
Old 09-26-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I initially thought the tribes were called Thong and Coda.
Old 09-26-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope

sticks around awhile, because she is really very cute.
Old 09-26-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read the following from Randy's bio on the CBS site:

"Randy Bailey wants to be personally responsible for crushing the hopes and dreams of all other contestants with delusions of winning SURVIVOR. He considers himself a ruthless bully who enjoys picking on those that were not blessed with his strength or intellect.

Randy describes himself as angry, blunt, mean and sarcastic (yet charming), and admits he's a train wreck.
Bailey declares he has no living relatives besides an older brother, from whom he hasn't heard from in years. He says he has never met a person who didn't eventually disappoint him. The only "person" he has ever loved was his recently deceased black Labrador mix, Johnson, with whom he lived for 13 years.

His biggest pet peeves are cell phones and overly religious people, and he says he doesn't allow either in his home or car."

Damn, what a pitiful life. I would hate to be that old and be so bitter, angry, and pathetic. Grow up, dude.
Old 09-26-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by arminius
I remeber watching the first survivor and when the merge came. There was the one female that was great at survival tasks and challenges and led her tribe very well. Then at the merge she was voted off. I thought WTF? Why her, she was the best player in both tribes.
"when the merge came" was the key. Post-merge it's just individual immunities ... and it's usually to your advantage to vote out the strong. That was actually a great move by the original Richard Hatch alliance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.