Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "the Second Coming/the Butterfly Effect" + Recap = 3hrs -- 09.22.2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Plus changing the whole Star Wars, "I'm your father" to "I'm your mother thing" at the end. That's just lazy writing.
Not every revelation about parentage is a ripoff of Star Wars. That goes back a little farther. Ever hear of a guy named Oedipus.
Old 09-23-08, 01:29 AM

How many times must the fans complain about the horrendous nikki/split personality storyline before they learn no amount of retelling it with a cool twist will EVER make it acceptable. Ali Larter is a decent actress and undeserving of my hate, Fix this - either kill her off so she can go to a better show or stop the insanity - literally.

Not a fan of the premiere. I was really jazzed by the first fifteen minutes or so - very days of future passed vibe but then it got old and by the end of hour two I was debating deleting my season pass, again.
Old 09-23-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hadoken. That is all.
Old 09-23-08, 01:32 AM

Looks like the extra time didn't help the writers.

What's with all the deux ex machina plots? I mean, does anyone actually DIE in this series besides useless villain #4 (i.e., Elle's dad)?

And I hate the whole changing the future story line? Why not just have a bunch of villains escape and be done with it instead of doing this weird "Peter from the future" story?

Plus, Suresh is still a dumbass and Claire is still a whiny bitch. Give us some reason character development instead of rehashing the same stuff over and over.

I'm giving it 1 more episode and that's it.
Old 09-23-08, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn Brea Grant (The lightning-quick thief) is super cute. Loved her the last time we saw her in a few eps of Friday Night Lights
Old 09-23-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eh, this is no worse than the first season set up. Peter needs to be neutered power wise. Season 2 had him forgetting who he was. Season 3 has him stuck in another body running with the Brotherhood of evil mutants.

The future stuff is always going to be there when you have two characters who have the time travel power. It does offer an interesting twist to add in all the butterfly effect come into play. Right now we're seeing three potential futures.

1. Japan blows up - falls in line with the earth explosion image we are seeing from Isac II
2. Villains rise - seen in momma paterili's future scene
3. Future Peter's future which is now changed to number 2 because of his past meddling.

I don't care about nikki, but it's pretty clear that the powers were personality based. The super powers/hulk personality were from her alternate personality. Nikki herself just is able to tap into her other personalities. This new one has ice powers for some reason.

I wish Suresh death. The character annoys me to no end.

And the "I'm your mother" It has to end up being a situation where she's just mind fucking him so that she can keep him on a short rope. She has the power of persuasion. I think that's how it works.
Old 09-23-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Angela Petrelli is badass.

So does she only have one ability? I know she said she can dream the future, is persuasion another one?

Suresh has always been annoying because he's a whiny pussy. Now he's an Uber stud able to nail hot Latinas in a single bound....riiiight.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-23-08 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-23-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
They are definitely going to have to kill off a character or two to get the audience to feel like there is suspense and shit CAN happen without being undone. Personally my vote goes to Pasdar/Nathan Patrelli. Talk about worthless character. Not to mention there's a reason Pasdar has been relegated to B-movies so far... he's not that great of an actor. Plus he's survived a nuclear explosion and multiple gun shots. Just because he can fly doesn't make him Superman. Now he's got the sixth sense going on? Dead weight, dump him(pun intended).

Then of course, there is Nikki. I have to agree with Mhepburn20, no matter how many times they retell the split personality storyline it's going to suck. I like Ali Larter as well, but she's served her purpose on the show. Let her move on to other projects. Of course this would also serve to getting rid of Micah and his cousin. Three birds-one stone.
Old 09-23-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so is Veronica Mars going to fuck Weevil now?
Old 09-23-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
so is Veronica Mars going to fuck Weevil now?
It'd be almost incestuous at this point.
Old 09-23-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by musick
the guy who's body Peter was supposed to be in was a manipulator of audio
I can see how he could be using Peter's voice and note only he sees himself as Peter not others
So with Francis Capra joining the cast, this 2nd episode has 2 Veronica Mars alums AND the Greatest American Hero!

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I usually avoid these threads for various reasons but I had to come in here and ask how, after 85 posts, no one mentioned that Veronica Mars and Weevil were back together?
A testament to how few people really watched the show I guess.

I enjoyed both episodes. The destruction of Japan was very cool. I agree that them trying to change the future can get tired, but they now seem to have 4 people who can see it (Peter, Angela, Sylar and the African guy with Parkman) not to mention Hiro who can GO there. So all this future tweaking is going to have to continue as the future of Earth is NEVER geniunely going to go well - it can't last forever! So I like all that has been laid out. As for the "evil Claire", that is four years in the future. So MUCH can change with the butterfly effect...

Last edited by rfduncan; 09-23-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-23-08, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush
If Sylar lost all of his "attained" abilities why did he still have his telekinetic powers?
I wondered the same thing but maybe since it was the first one he stole it stuck.
Old 09-23-08, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
And the "I'm your mother" It has to end up being a situation where she's just mind fucking him so that she can keep him on a short rope. She has the power of persuasion. I think that's how it works.
I'd probably be thinking that if Sylar and Peter's powers weren't so similiar. Maybe it's a twin thing where they have the same ability, but they absorb powers differently? Or with Maya and Alejandro in S2, their powers worked in tandem. Maybe Peter and Sylar's work in an as-yet-unseen way together? That would be pretty cool.
Old 09-23-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I'm also getting a bit tired of the time travel thing being used to set up an impending disaster that must be avoided. It's getting repetitive.

One interesting thing about Hiro's trip to the future where he was fighting Ando is that Hiro assumed that he was the "hero" and Ando was the "villain."

Nathan Petrelli seems played out. And, aside from flying and getting himself put in Congress, he doesn't do much. Might as well off him.

The speedster is mighty cute. Wonder if she'll end up "hooking up" with Hiro. (Also might be a reason why Hiro ends up a villain. He's a bit too convinced that he's a "hero," and I can see that leading him into trouble.)

Peter's too powerful. With all of the abilities he's absorbed, it seems like there's nothing he can't do. He can stop time. He can teleport. He can't be hurt or killed. He can read minds. He's telekinetic. In addition to about twenty other things. Whenever he's on-screen, I find myself wondering why he just doesn't use his powers, like at the beginning where he's RUNNING AWAY from something. Why not just teleport away or stop time?

The "Fly" knock-off scenes were a bit much. Though I thought Mohinder was going to turn green instead of mutate into the Brundlefly at the mirror scene.

And, Jesus, is everyone on this thing related? Before long, they'er going to reveal that X is related to Y and end up with some inadvertant incest.
Old 09-23-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
overall it was very average for me (and i'm a HUGE fan). I agree with most here that they need to stop the time travel, unless its leading up to something (that's what i'm hoping for).

Spoiler:

I have to admit, i thought it was great about how they squashed the thought that sylar eats their brains to get his power.
Old 09-23-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't watch Heroes when it first aired, instead watching it for the first time on HD DVD and after hearing all the cheers and such for it, was really disappointed. Season 2 rolled around and the first few episodes bored the crap out of me, so I gave up on it (until the last episode, just to see what happened). I had fairly high hopes for the season 3 opener due to all of the positive talk from pre-screenings and whatnot, but it was just more of the same. I genuinely dislike a LOT of the characters and their blatant ripping off of established comic characters has gotten ridiculous. Why do the writers seem to deliberately want me to hate the show?
Old 09-23-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I, for one, loved the premiere. They didn't waste any time explaining who shot Nathan. We got to see first hand how Sylar gains his powers. We learned more about Ma Petraeli's abilities. Lots of stuff happening right off the bat.

I agree that Suresh is annoying, and the immortality factor is getting old, but I'm excited about this season. Hopefully they learned some things from their sophomore slump.
Old 09-23-08, 08:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So this is what I got:

1) Hero is too lazy to go back in time 5 minutes and say to himself "don't open the safe, there is a half sheet of genetic code in there.. nothing that interesting"

2) Cloverfield destroys Japan

3) Sylar and Clair film the next episode of Scream / Halloween. Sylar tries for 2 full seasons to get her powers, but within 5 minutes of this season he has her powers.

4) Mohinder has become a mad scientist, becomes Beast for a few minutes - then morphs into the Fly

5) Arkham Asylum's residence are set free

6) Luke I am your mother
Old 09-23-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sadly, the show is far too dark and albeit depressing in their attempts to be edgy in telling stories of people with super-powers. They need to squash the time travelling angle, it just produces too many loop-de-loops in storytelling that gives writers a too-convenient reset button when they need to write themselves out of a corner. Actions need to have consequences, but basing an entire volume on the butterfly effect has this recursive effect of viewers investing less and less into these characters because actions have less consequences with the re-do switch in play. It undermines heroic sacrifice for the greater good, it allows "heroes" to play god with timelines, it makes for stilted storytelling and characterizations.
Old 09-23-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
He didn't lose his powers permanently. He had the Shanti virus which prevented him from using them. At the end of season 2, he gave himself the antidote and has all his powers back.
Didn't he just get his original power back? He's had to get the other powers back the hard way.

Loved the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants showing up, nice set up to the season.
Old 09-23-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ckw4b
Give us some reason character development instead of rehashing the same stuff over and over.
This is my biggest problem with the show, along with the common complaints of others about lazy writing. The same scenes one-dimensional scenes are played out each season instead of actually advancing the characters. I can't wait for Nikki's eventual breakdown, Clair's complaining about being different and Suresh's moronic decisions...for the third season in a row.

I actually more or less enjoyed the premiere, but I can see where it's going to be trying this season. I'm sure they'll spend a fair amount of time with the real Peter trapped in someone else's body, as well as draw out the eventual Hiro/Ando resolution. The Parkman stuff was beyond boring, and I'm sure it will take him a few episode to get anything out of the African fellow.

Angela's dream sequence showing the possible villain line-up was pretty cool, though. Nice to see Marlo and Weevil.
Old 09-23-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
My thoughts:

Spoiler:
was i the only one with the boner when nikki/traci came out of the bedroom
YEAH!

Decent episode but way too tired of Matt and Sylar. Yawn.
Old 09-23-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
My thoughts:

Spoiler:
was i the only one with the boner when nikki/traci came out of the bedroom
No

Spoiler:
I also chubbed up a bit when the Black guy was dragging Claire's headless body off screen. There was a nice cheerleader outfit upskirt shot. I gotta get a TIVO so I can slo mo stuff like that.
Old 09-23-08, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take I was the only person to have no voice audio for like 25 minutes on my HD feed last night? I'm watching it now and all I have is the music.
Old 09-23-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some terrible pacing issues with the editing. The way they intercut Nathan/Claire, it made it seem like she was hiding in the closet for two days.

Why did Peter need to stash the gun in the closet? If he can teleport something or someone into the middle of an African desert (or someone's mind into someone else's BODY), why couldn't he just "poof" the gun away?

Bad Claire was laughably bad.

The writers are giving into fan pressure in all the wrong ways. Yeah, Sylar's popular. Careful beating that horse, though, fellas.

Note to suits: NO ONE LIKES MOHINDER. NO ONE LIKES MAYA. EVERYTIME THEY ARE ON SCREEN YOU RISK YOUR VIEWERS GIVING IN TO THE DESIRE TO CHANGE THE CHANNEL. And as HIMYM, Terminator and static are all viable options, you'd better learn that lesson fast.

Time travel sucks. But it's okay, keep making that star trek mistake.

I'm now watching for Kristen Bell and HRG. Introduce one more retarded character, hit me over the head with one more Katrina survivor, have a character make one more out-of-character plot-contrived choice, Fail to kill Mohinder or Maya in the next few episodes (REALLY kill), and I'm done. I gave you season 2 as an adjustment period, but you're on borrowed time.

-Doc

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.