Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "the Second Coming/the Butterfly Effect" + Recap = 3hrs -- 09.22.2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 11:30 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
i thought this was a very good 2hr. premiere (period).
Old 09-23-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I couldn't help but crack up when Mohinder discovered those spots on his back. Do I think they are blatantly ripping off The Fly right now with that storyline? Yes, but I wouldn't mind if it continues along the lines of The Fly and Mohinder slowly starts to fall apart.

Loved the Veronica Mars reunion and Greatest American Hero casting.
Old 09-23-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
didn't quite live up to the expectations i had, but was still better than all of last year's episodes combined.
Old 09-23-08, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole Mohinder thing seemed like it was jsut a setup for his motivation to find a way to take powers away instead of give them to people.
Now he has to do it to save his own arse.
The whole thing with Peter putting the gun on the shelf really bothered me, too. Unless he wanted it to be found or something. There is no way a guy who can teleport and time travel needs to hide a gun (a gun he just brought from the future) on a shelf.

I loved the eating the brains thing with Sylar and Claire also. I saw that as a nod to the fans.

I'm reserving judgement on the season until we get a few episodes in and see where it's going.
Old 09-23-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was a decent opener, except for a few of the complaints already mentioned. Mohinder's change was laughably bad, especially with him bedding Maya but i'm down to see what he turns into. It seems kind of out of character for him to inject himself out of the blue like that though.
Old 09-23-08, 11:43 AM

First hour, bleh...
Why didn't Claire just blast through a window or something to escape Sylar instead of cringing in a closet.
Nathan's finding religion was lame and seemed forced and out of character.

Second hour, better...
After Mo injected the serum I told my wife, "Great, instead of being 'just' annoying, now he's gonna be Super-Annoying!"
!VM reunion!
Old 09-23-08, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush
If Sylar lost all of his "attained" abilities why did he still have his telekinetic powers?
It's unclear, but his telekinesis may be inherent rather than acquired.
Old 09-23-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was good, laid some groundwork for the season and despite a lot of it feeling like a redo of past plotlines with slight twists, I enjoyed it. Not the best show ever but pretty damn fun to watch - and as long as Kristen Bell is on it, I'm sold. Also, glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking 'Brundlefly' with the Mohinder plotline...hopefully he shares the same fate as Seth Brundle, and quickly...
Old 09-23-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
also after watching stuff about the serum, it sort of reminded me of the 4400. people will have the ability to powers, but there will be a faction of people that try to prevent it.
Old 09-23-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
My prediction for Season 3:

Spoiler:
We'll discover that Linderman is, in fact, God.

I was hoping we'd see more than a one-shot episode from William Katt (he's actually a pretty good actor), but I guess that's not going to happen. Probably for the best - that gray spot of hair on his chin was driving me crazy! (You're not 30 anymore, Mr. Katt!)

I'm a little surprised there's not a lot of "love" for last night's show...I thought it was better than ANYTHING they did in Season 2.
Old 09-23-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

Introduce one more retarded character, hit me over the head with one more Katrina survivor, have a character make one more out-of-character plot-contrived choice, Fail to kill Mohinder or Maya in the next few episodes (REALLY kill), and I'm done.

-Doc
It'll be sad to see you go.

Honestly though, why make the threat? We all know at least one of the things on that list is going to happen. Why stick around a few more episodes even?
Old 09-23-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
It's unclear, but his telekinesis may be inherent rather than acquired.
No. The first person Sylar killed in the Season 1 flashback was telekinetic. He then went back to Mo's father to show him the power he just "discovered".

A far as I know Syler's only power is figuring out how things work by studying them. After killing the telekinetic and looking in his cracked open skull he said, "So that's how that works."
Old 09-23-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

The writers are giving into fan pressure in all the wrong ways. Yeah, Sylar's popular. Careful beating that horse, though, fellas.

-Doc
Is he still popular? I think he has outlived his popularity. They need to deal with some other villians now. He's done in my opinion.
Old 09-23-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sylar is definitely played, although the best thing about the two episodes was the Sylar/Claire Halloween homage. Pretty intense.

Originally Posted by mdc3000
and as long as Kristen Bell is on it, I'm sold.
She was listed as a 'Special Guest Star' so I don't have my hopes up for 'Elle' being around much.

Originally Posted by Palaver
I We got to see first hand how Sylar gains his powers. .
Did we? He poked around a bit but what did he actually do? Just saw how it worked like a timepiece? The only thing we are 100% about is that he isn't Hannibal Lector.

Originally Posted by Patman
Sadly, the show is far too dark and albeit depressing in their attempts to be edgy in telling stories of people with super-powers. They need to squash the time travelling angle, it just produces too many loop-de-loops in storytelling that gives writers a too-convenient reset button when they need to write themselves out of a corner. Actions need to have consequences, but basing an entire volume on the butterfly effect has this recursive effect of viewers investing less and less into these characters because actions have less consequences with the re-do switch in play. It undermines heroic sacrifice for the greater good, it allows "heroes" to play god with timelines, it makes for stilted storytelling and characterizations.
Very well said.
Old 09-23-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was... okay... More happened in that two hours than in the entire second season.

Unfortunately, as a result, it felt EXTREMELY rushed. They're literally fast forwarding the characters through plot to get them to a point where they can tell a proper story.

I dunno. That magic from the first season isn't there. The first season had lots of really strong temporary secondary characters that really added to the fabric of the show. The second season had none. That damned Maya, although the actor is hot as hell (and looked gorgeous in the summary show), needs to be removed from the show. The time travel is getting annoying and dangerous for the plot.

And the new "villians" were totally laughable.
Old 09-23-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
It'll be sad to see you go.

Honestly though, why make the threat? We all know at least one of the things on that list is going to happen. Why stick around a few more episodes even?

Oh I know, I was just very disappointed the entire ep, and where but DVDTalk is better to bitch?

I think I am done with it... I may tune in for a little bit longer just to get my Kristen Bell fix, but I realized a little too late into season 2 that this wasn't the show I thought it was going to be. It seemed as if they had some huge, Alan-Moore-esque story to tell with a begining and an end. Now it's pretty clear that they are making it all up as the go (or rather stealing from more talented people a la the aforementioned Mr. Moore) and it's just a shame. Season one showed so much promise.

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Is he still popular? I think he has outlived his popularity. They need to deal with some other villians now. He's done in my opinion.

That's exactly my point. They're learning all the wrong lessons. It's like the WB execs who want to make all of their Comic characters "DARK" because they equate Batman's success with his "Darkness." (No, doofuses, it's because it was true to the character. Batman is dark as hell. His movie should thusly be dark as hell. SUPERMAN, on the other hand... The Dark Knight was successful because it was true to the character in the comics which has been successful because clearly it resonates with people and has for a long time)

Similarly, they figured "Well, badass unstoppable Sylar was really popular in season one... let's make him even MORE unstoppable.. then we'll make him a GOOD GUY!"

"And people liked 'Badass Future Hiro' and 'Badass Future Peter'... let's give them Badass EVIL future Claire! out-of-character?! Character-shmaracter! It'll be hot!"

"What if PETER shot Nathan?! To prevent a terrible future! (people love time travel)... what? What do you mean 'why doesn't he just go back in time to before the press conference and tell Nathan not to expose his powers'? That's not AWESOME!"

For the love of God, just once I'd like to see a network drama that doesn't treat its audience as if they were blithering idiots.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 09-23-08 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Ratings were horrendously disappointing. 9.89M viewers

Last season began with 16.97M
Old 09-23-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
^Well thats what happens when you have a shitty second season.
Old 09-23-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
At this point I'm kind of "eh," but I'll just take it all as icing to the first season.
Old 09-23-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why did Peter need to stash the gun in the closet? If he can teleport something or someone into the middle of an African desert (or someone's mind into someone else's BODY), why couldn't he just "poof" the gun away?
Peter can only teleport things when it's convinient for the lazy writers.
Old 09-23-08, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
also after watching stuff about the serum, it sort of reminded me of the 4400. people will have the ability to powers, but there will be a faction of people that try to prevent it.
Yeah, the GF and I thought the same thing.

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Time Travel, The Fly, Halloween, StreetFighter, WTF?
Haduken!

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One interesting thing about Hiro's trip to the future where he was fighting Ando is that Hiro assumed that he was the "hero" and Ando was the "villain."

Exactly my thought. Hiro assumes Ando is the villain...but it could be the exact opposite. Why does Ando have special abilities? Did he have to acuire them to destory the evil Hiro?

Overall...decent episode. I love Elle and Sylar.
Old 09-23-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goat3001
^Well thats what happens when you have a shitty second season.
I wonder if that ad campaign that acknowledged it backfired on them. I have never seen a network use that as a selling point before. "Yeah, we know last season sucked, but it will get better."
Old 09-23-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Ratings were horrendously disappointing. 9.89M viewers

Last season began with 16.97M
Wow, 7.08M people were masturbating to Brett Favre on their HDTVs? Wow.
Old 09-23-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Who's Shenkar?
Old 09-23-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by firteen88
Peter can only teleport things when it's convinient for the lazy writers.
Too Fucking True.

-Doc

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.