Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "the Second Coming/the Butterfly Effect" + Recap = 3hrs -- 09.22.2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So exactly what did Sylar do to obtain her power?
Yay. I'm not the only one who wants that answered.
What did he do? Munch on part of it? Pull out some "essence"?
Old 09-25-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He looked at it, saw the bit that makes her special and adjusted is brain accordingly.

-Doc
Old 09-25-08, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
As a comic book reader who sees dead characters brought to life all the time this complaining is very funny to me.

I mean shit, DC just brought back Barry "The Flash" Allen.
The problem for me is that bringing everyone back from the dead hinders a sense of danger, tension, or surprise. I can't invest myself in any of these characters if I know nothing can happen to them.

It's like Bobby in the shower on Dallas. It kills the drama.

I'm not a comic book reader, btw.

Last edited by zooiiks; 09-25-08 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
And why exactly does Future Claire even bother pointing a gun a Peter? He can stop time, and he HAS HER POWERS... even if she shot him, it wouldn't matter.

The more I think about it, the less I'm liking this show. Maybe thats the key...don't think.
Old 09-25-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf359
And why exactly does Future Claire even bother pointing a gun a Peter? He can stop time, and he HAS HER POWERS... even if she shot him, it wouldn't matter.

The more I think about it, the less I'm liking this show. Maybe thats the key...don't think.
Good point.

I know you can kill Claire if you take her head off. But both of them have shown that brain trauma doesn't kill them. Peter had the glass shard in his head and Claire had the branch in her head.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-26-08 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zooiiks
The problem for me is that bringing everyone back from the dead hinders a sense of danger, tension, or surprise. I can't invest myself in any of these characters if I know nothing can happen to them.

It's like Bobby in the shower on Dallas. It kills the drama.

I'm not a comic book reader, btw.
Yeah well, welcome to world or HEROES which follows the Comic Book format all the way down to Killing then bringing back heroes and villains.
Old 09-25-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For all the complaining, this show still gets 6 pages of conversation. They must be doing something right.
Old 09-25-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
40 posts in the 21 hours before it aired.

195 (not counting these two) in the 67 since it aired - when there was something to discuss.

Doesn't seem that hot to me
Old 09-25-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
As a comic book reader who sees dead characters brought to life all the time, this complaining is very funny to me.

I mean shit, DC just brought back Barry "The Flash" Allen.
Yeah but that was after 23 years, not the next issue, episode, or season
Old 09-25-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
To be fair, comic is release every month so it's really 12 "episodes" per year. Heroes is every week and 1 season is between 20-24 episodes. That is 2 years worth of comic books.
Old 09-25-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good point.

I know you can still Claire if you take her head off. But both of them have shown that brain trauma doesn't kill them. Peter had the glass shard in his head and Claire had the branch in her head.
Didn't kill them, but disabled them. Claire was given a gun in season 1 as well. I think the assumption is that if the brain, or a particular part of it, is damaged enough, they will cease to live, or at least be permanently "shut down."

Again, a head wound is believed to be able to stop them. It's untested, but it's all they've got to go on (based on the glass and branch).

But why is it so hard to beleive would still attempt to stop Peter? Her healing takes a few seconds, maybe she doesn't know how quickly Peter can stop time. Is he faster than a bullet? Yes, now we know he is, as does Claire.

Last edited by outer-edge; 09-26-08 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by stingermck
Correct, but who'da thunk Barry would come back? Also, I've said before that if they decided to kill major characters in comics there should be at least 25 years before they're allowed to bring them back. DC didn't wait 25, but 23 isn't bad.

Plus, isn't HEROES on a "5 year plan"? I could swear I read that somewhere...
Old 09-26-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by outer-edge
Didn't kill them, but disabled them. Claire was given a gun in season 1 as well. I think the assumption is that if the brain, or a particular part of it, is damaged enough, they will cease to live, or at least be permanently "shit down."
Yeah I know they were only disabled with the glass and branch. Once the item was removed they came back.
Old 09-26-08, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
He looked at it, saw the bit that makes her special and adjusted is brain accordingly.

-Doc
I was thinking that too... did they ever explain how he makes the incision on the victim's heads in the first place?
Old 09-26-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
I was thinking that too... did they ever explain how he makes the incision on the victim's heads in the first place?
I'm assuming that's part of his telekinesis ability he got from Brian Davis.
Old 09-26-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Not a bad premiere, but you definitely have to watch with your brain turned off. I agree that they've definitely written themselves into a corner with this time travel business. They need to be really careful with it.

Some random thoughts:

- I think Claire (and Peter and Sylar) can be killed if you decapitate them
- I don't think Ma Patrelli is really Sylar's mother
- Maya and Mohinder need to go away
- that's not Nikki, it's Jessica or another personality. Don't know if it's a separate body or not
Old 09-26-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It seems pretty clear that Claire can die with a decapitation, since they seemed to focus on it briefly in the vision of the future.
Old 09-26-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
It seems pretty clear that Claire can die with a decapitation, since they seemed to focus on it briefly in the vision of the future.
They made this clear early in the series. Something about severing the brain from the body with emphasis on the tree limb in between her brain and spine.

Then last season we saw that she can regenerate somewhat.

So it stands to reason that unless you completely destroy her brain, she could just regrow her whole body.
Old 09-26-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Plus, isn't HEROES on a "5 year plan"? I could swear I read that somewhere...
You're thinking of Babylon 5.

The "five year plan" thing might come from season one, when future-Hiro-with-the-soul-patch-and-sword showed up with the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" catch phrase.

I seem to recall that he was from five years in the future, so I think everyone assumed that the series would work up to that point.
Old 09-26-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Terrible. I don't even need to rehash the weaknesses everyone brought up. However I think my least favorite part was Nathan finding God. It was one of the most surreal and painful things I have ever witnessed on TV. Why on earth did they think it was a good idea for him to give his awful and tedious speech to some random Mexican woman in a church? I couldn't even believe what I was watching. It was unbelievably dreadful. It makes me nauseous just thinking about it.
Old 09-26-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You're thinking of Babylon 5.

The "five year plan" thing might come from season one, when future-Hiro-with-the-soul-patch-and-sword showed up with the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" catch phrase.
Maybe not:

http://onourtv.com/index.php/2007020...ive-year-plan/

http://www.heroesrevealed.com/interv...iscuss-heroes/

http://television.aol.com/feature/he...ason-one-guide

The producers of 'Heroes' are learning from the missteps of shows like 'Twin Peaks,' 'The X-Files' and 'Lost,' which frustrated viewers who wanted answers to long-simmering mysteries. Creator Tim Kring said, "We have the first season mapped out in detail. Less so in the second season, but we have talked about where the show goes up to five seasons."

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-26-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Xander
Not a bad premiere, but you definitely have to watch with your brain turned off.
That's how I'm watching it. It's pretty much the only way you can...but I still enjoy it very much!
Old 09-27-08, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
They need to sign K. Bell for as a series regular to save this show...
her acting sucks, its up there with keanu reeves and nicholas cage.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

not really, remember what ma petrelli said, a bullet in the head will kill him, just like the stake that was in claires head in S1, thats the only way to kill claire/peter/sylar

also the part with future hiro and ando killing him, maybe it was not ando but sylar, like the episode when sylar appeared to look like nathan in the future.

two more things:

1) where the hell is the Haitian
2) who the hell is "weevil"

Last edited by kiddk1; 09-27-08 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-27-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kiddk1
two more things:

1) where the hell is the Haitian
Maybe he's gone for good. If so, that would suck. He's cooler than at least half the cast.

2) who the hell is "weevil"
Francis Capra played Weevil on Veronica Mars.
Old 09-27-08, 06:30 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What i do love about this show is no holding back with the gore. I loved Claire with her scalp off and i loved seeing the super villians torch regular humans, that is the sort of thing which really would happen if people had super powers

The pacing needs to improve. I agree about limiting time travelling arcs and also kill off some characters for real.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.