Old 09-15-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Star Trek TNG: "The Inner Light"
Gunsmoke: "The Gallows"
Old 09-15-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
X-files= Clyde Bruckman's final repose, Jose Chungs from Outer Space, Beyond the Sea, Humbug, Small Potatoes, Ice.

House= Frozen, Three Stories
Old 09-15-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
X-files= Clyde Bruckman's final repose, Jose Chungs from Outer Space, Beyond the Sea, Humbug, Small Potatoes, Ice.
So, pick one!
Old 09-15-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
So, pick one!
I can't
Old 09-15-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Twin Peaks: Season 2 episode where we find out whose body BOB has been inhabiting, and he kills again.

It features perhaps the most violent and scariest death scene I've ever seen on Network TV.
Old 09-15-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Family Ties: The Real Thing (Alex meets Ellen)
Dawson's Creek: series finale
X-Files: ugh, can't pick
Firefly: Serenity the movie (may not count, but I've watched it more than any individual episode)
Old 09-15-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a Life- The Spewy Episode
Old 09-15-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Conversations with Dead People.
Old 09-15-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
X-Files: ugh, can't pick

I can't even do a top 10.
Old 09-15-08, 12:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Survivor - Season 1 Finale. Sue's rat/snake speech. Richard Hatch's surprising win. Now THAT's some great TV.

ER - "Love's Labor Lost" - I'm not an ER fan hour, but MAN. That's some great TV.

Cheers - Too many episodes to name. But my favorite: Sam and Diane consult with a snobby marriage counselor, played by John Cleese.
Old 09-15-08, 12:53 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
The X-Files "The Unnatural"
Great episode written & directed by David Duchovny. Jesse L. Greene (or the Law & Order fame) plays a Nergo League baseball player who is really an alien. I enjoyed this one because I am a sucker for sports stories and I have always been fascinated by the history of the Nergo League and its players.

The Shield "Dominoes Falling"
The second season finale of one of the best cop shows on TV. Everything leading up to this episode came to a boil and ended with one of the most compelling, subdued, and haunting images the show has ever had. Set wonderfully to Live's "Overcome".

Homicide "Prion Riot", "Homicide.com", "Forgive Us Our Trespasses"
These are my top three from the greatest show ever put on TV at any time slot, any channel, any network, any country, in the history of television. "Prison Riot" is an excellent episode about a prison riot (duh!) that the detectives must get to the bottom of. "Homicide.com" is about a killer who is killing people live on the internet. This one was fascinating because the internet was really starting to hit the boom (Beginning of 1999) where everyone had some kind of connection to the net, and it was largely unregulated. "Forgive Us Our Trespasses" is the series finale and in one of my personal favorite moments on the show, it ends with the first line from the first episode with the fantastic Clark Johnson looking for a bullet..."If I can just find this thing, I can go home".

The Wire "Mission Accomplished", That's Got His Own", "Final Grades", "-30-"
From the brain (David Simon) behind Homicide, came The Wire, the best show on cable ever and when it was on, the best show on TV period. There isn't a bad episode of this show at all, but these three (one for the third season and the other two from the fourth) affirms this. "Mission Accomplished" starts with the death of a major character (and if you want to see amazing acting, see the episode before) and ends with Jimmy McNaulty coming full circle from the first season and ending on a bittersweet note. "That's Got His Own", is staggering because it feels like the season finale. The ending of that episode sums up the point the entire show had made to that point and really puts these horrible drug dealers into perspective. Meaning, it may not be the life they chose, but it was the life that chose them. "-30-" has to be witnessed to be understood. The Wire had been described by many (including myself) as a show about real life. The perfect ending to this show was simple, no matter who you catch, there will be someone else. Life goes on. Much like Homicide, do yourself a favor if you have never seen either show and get them ASAP.

The Sopranos "College", "Pine Barrens", "Made In America"
Being from Jersey (and living next to almost all of the filming locations, including the Raceway where a character gets killed, right up the road from my house), this show holds a special place for me. And again three more episodes from an amazing show. "College" was a first season episode that cast away all doubts that this show was a flash in the pan or boring. Tony on the hunt for someone he thinks he knows, amazing. "Pine Barrens" is one of those episodes, that if you are from Jersey you have heard all the stories about the place. Everything from the Jersey Devil myth, ritual killings, people disappearing, and general wacky shit happening, make this episode even more satisfying. And even if you don't know the Pine Barrens, this is one of the episodes that showed the Sopranos was more than about mobsters killing people. "Made In America" is a stunning end to a show known for leaving us with more questions than answers. Everything said to that point, really comes home. To the Journey song in the background, the subtle Godfather reference, and the "holy shit did that just happen" ending, makes this one of the best episodes of any show on the air.

Rescue Me "Guts"
This particular episode hold a special place for me as well. I have known many firefighters over the years, like my father, and all of them suffered from 9/11. For me, being from the area, there is no way to describe how guys from New York dealt with the tragedy (for one guy I know, he keeps himself going by being at work every single day, no matter what, to keep the memory of his friends alive). In the opening moments when Denis Leary is ripping the "probie" class a new one, to the end where he sees all the ghosts of lives past, nothing has ever captured the firefighter more perfectly than this show. And at times it may get a little too egocentric, but these guys are like you and me deep down, but they put their ass on the line everyday so guys like me can write about them.

The Job "Foot" & "Betrayal"
Another Denis Leary show, however this one is about cops. This show was deadly serious and bust a guy funny all at the same time. "Foot" being an example of the funny, when a severed foot is found outside of a podiatrist's office and Mike McNeil on the hunt for his co-worker's new boyfriend. "Betryal" sadly being the series finale, had an amazing moment where you think one thing is going to happen and the total opposite and unexpected change everything so drastically that there would be almost no way to top it. Set perfectly to Joey Ramones final statement "What A Wonderful World". The Job would have been Rescue Me if ABC gave it a chance.

Dexter "Dexter"
"A show about a serial killer that we can like, you are sick" the exact words my mother said to me when I explained to her the premise of the show. Oh but it is so much more than that. We get to see Dexter the killer, Dexter the cop, Dexter the lover, and Dexter the confused little boy all at the same time. Not to mention a few bust a gut moments, this episode proved that you can root for the bad guy and not feel guilty about it.

The Boondocks "A Date With The Health Inspector" & "Return of The King"
And finally to finish my list off, one of the funniest, smartest, edgiest, and brilliant animated shows ever made. The Boondocks comes over a lot of heat for what it's characters say or don't say. You know when Al Sharpton gets made about what other black folks are saying, this show has got to be something to watch. "A Date With The Health Inspector" is when the show it its stride. Samuel L. Jackson & Charlie Murphy have excellent cameos as two crazed white boys who run around doing whatever they want. Also, the great social commentary buried in this episode really stands out to anyone who is paying attention. Plenty of funny moments that would carry on throughout the show in this one. "Return of The King" is one of those episodes where, no matter what I type, I will not be able to do any justice to it. Martin Luther King comes out of a coma and is disgusted by how people are fulfilling his dream.
Old 09-15-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
24 Day 5 - I'm too lazy to look up the exact hour, but it's the one where most of the cast are stuck in various rooms, because the rest of CTU is contaminated.

MillenniuM - "Pilot", "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" & "The Time is Now"

X Files - "Kill Switch"

The Wire - "-30-"

Life on Mars - the series finale

Star Trek - "The Doomsday Machine"

Last edited by Meglos; 09-15-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 01:55 PM

Dragnet "The Big High"
AKA "The Dead Baby in the Bathtub". A wealthy businessman's 22-year-old daughter and son-in-law are experimenting with marijuana. He asks for police help. When Friday and Gannon step in, they are met with surprisingly rude resistance. Time passes, and during a routine drug arrest the suspect mentions a pot party now in progress at the young couple's home. Joe and Bill burst in and make the arrest, but the baby is found drowned, forgotten in the bathtub. Bill throws-up at the sight.
Old 09-15-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Meglos

Life on Mars - the series finale
I assume you mean the BBC version since the ABC version isn't out yet. Anyway, my head still hurts from trying to figure that one out. Perhaps the deepest episode I've seen on TV.
Old 09-15-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meglos
24 Day 5 - I'm too lazy to look up the exact hour, but it's the one where most of the cast are stuck in various rooms, because the rest of CTU is contaminated.

Edgar
Old 09-15-08, 02:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
The Prisoner--Arrival (Pilot) (I always enjoy watching this one no matter how many times I've seen it. Think I'll watch it again tonight.)
Old 09-15-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
I assume you mean the BBC version since the ABC version isn't out yet. Anyway, my head still hurts from trying to figure that one out. Perhaps the deepest episode I've seen on TV.
That's the one. And just for the helluvit, I'd like to throw in episode 2.5 (the Camberwell Green episode).
Old 09-15-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Trek DS9 - "The Visitor"

No matter how many times I watch it, I still bawl like a baby every single time. Tony Todd is absolutely amazing in this episode, as is Avery Brooks.

"Dad, are you ok?"
"I am now, son. I am now."
The way Avery Brooks' voice breaks during that line - Gets me every single time.
Old 09-15-08, 03:41 PM

About the only ones that really stick w/ me or that I can remember by name are:

Stargate SG1: The Changeling - One of those that starts off w/ a sort of twist and you get a lot of development/pay off in the end

B5: The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari - probably my fav single eps of TV to date. Granted it takes about 4 years to build up to the point where you understand what's going on

Firefly: Out of Gas - a story that really asks more questions that it solves... too bad the series didn't continue so we could find the answers

Last edited by nemein; 09-15-08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is sort of off the top of my head, so I may have forgotten some shows, but my favorites would be (in no particular order)

The Dick Van Dyke Show - It May Look Like a Walnut!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Graduation Day
Doctor Who - Blink
Star Trek (TOS) - The City of the Edge of Forever
Old 09-15-08, 03:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Moments of GREAT television:

STAR TREK: TNG: The Best of Both Worlds, Part I

M*A*S*H: Dreams and Goodbye, Farwell, and Amen
Old 09-15-08, 04:00 PM
Cool New Member

Quite simple:

The West Wing - Two Cathedrals

The 2nd season finale floors me, stunning in its scope and breadth of vision, eleoquence of heart, and the absolute pitch perfect direction of Tommy Schlamme married to Aaron Sorkin's triumph of language makes it the most moving episode of television I've ever seen.
Old 09-15-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Magnum PI - Limbo
King of the Hill - Bobby Goes Nuts or Plastic White Female
Old 09-15-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auntiewinnie
Dragnet "The Big High"
AKA "The Dead Baby in the Bathtub". A wealthy businessman's 22-year-old daughter and son-in-law are experimenting with marijuana. He asks for police help. When Friday and Gannon step in, they are met with surprisingly rude resistance. Time passes, and during a routine drug arrest the suspect mentions a pot party now in progress at the young couple's home. Joe and Bill burst in and make the arrest, but the baby is found drowned, forgotten in the bathtub. Bill throws-up at the sight.
Okay, that is absurd, and no matter how powerful I will never watch that. Had it been a heroin party, sure. But come on... I don't care when the show was made, that is retarded.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Star Trek DS9 - "The Visitor"

No matter how many times I watch it, I still bawl like a baby every single time. Tony Todd is absolutely amazing in this episode, as is Avery Brooks.

"Dad, are you ok?"
"I am now, son. I am now."
The way Avery Brooks' voice breaks during that line - Gets me every single time.

Damn you, Jadzia. I'm getting teary just thinking of the scene when Jake (Todd) wakes up and Sisko is just watching him with a smile, having already read his new works. And the sorrow he goes through when he realizes what Jake's done... Jesus, that was one of the few DS9 episodes (and I LOVED DS9, my favorite of all the Treks) that transcended Sci-Fi and moved into high art/drama... what a fantastic hour of television.

If anything, I'm sad that it won't be viewed by as many people as it should because it's saddled with the much-maligned (underservedly so) "Trek" moniker.

-Doc
Old 09-15-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drfunky17
Quite simple:

The West Wing - Two Cathedrals

The 2nd season finale floors me, stunning in its scope and breadth of vision, eleoquence of heart, and the absolute pitch perfect direction of Tommy Schlamme married to Aaron Sorkin's triumph of language makes it the most moving episode of television I've ever seen.
That's mine, hands down. As hokey as some "Character mouths off to God" scenes are, Martin Sheen (with Sorkin's amazing words) not only makes you believe that this character is ready to fight God, but tempts you to put 50 bucks on Bartlet.

I'd also like to acknowledge the most beautifully married song-to-montage ever aired which is the lead up to the press conference with Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" played over it.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 09-15-08 at 04:59 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.