Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do people still watch MTV?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do people still watch MTV?
I still watch MTV
0%
I sometimes watch MTV
9.62%
I watch only one show on MTV
6.41%
I don't watch MTV anymore
48.72%
I hate MTV
33.97%
I want all a-holes from reality shows on MTV to burn in hell
36.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do people still watch MTV? I'm 27 years old and I tuned out of MTV almost 8 years ago. I have watched every now and then something, but the channel, along with MTV2, MTV3 and VH1 have become unwatchable in my opinion. There is minimal music and minimal videos. Each crap reality show spawns a crappier one. On MTV, most reality show are centered around spoiled brats while VH1 has collected Jerry Springer rejects and F-List celebrities. Do people watch this. Are this channels still relevant? Or am I becoming a grumpy old men?

I googled the same question I pose in this thread and found 2 interesting articles; one from 2006 and another froma couple of days ago:

Does MTV really matter any more?
digg this
submit a news tip
By Jeremy Horwitz
Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, September 1, 2006
Category: Backstage

A few days ago, we heard from iRiver - maker of the cool Clix line of MP3 players - that they were excited to be partnered with MTV for a 2006 Video Music Awards co-promotion featuring Clix and MTV’s URGE music download service. According to iRiver, in addition to ‘heavy’ promotion of URGE during the Video Music Awards (VMAs) show, several hundred celebrities would be receiving Clix hardware, no doubt a nice gift bag item given the device’s small size and unique interface.

The e-mail made me wonder, though: is MTV anywhere near as relevant of a music opinion leader as it was 15 or 20 years ago? Let’s put aside the common complaint that MTV barely plays music any more, and instead focuses on reality TV programming, beach parties, and other lighthearted entertainment - there is music to be heard on MTV, just less of it. But with the Internet and its tens of thousands of music-related web sites out there, do people really care about what one TV station says they should be listening to? For the rest of the story, click on Read More, below.

There’s evidence on both sides of these questions. People clearly continue to watch MTV, and there’s no doubt that music-themed shows like TRL still attract lots of attention from younger viewers, while music industry-influenced shows like Cribs and Pimp My Ride have at least some influence on what people think is cool in homes and cars. There’s also the fact that nothing has clearly emerged to supplant MTV in the United States - if you want to watch music videos on TV here, you’ll probably do it either on MTV, MTV2, or VH1.

But does MTV shape music opinion, merely reflect it, or neither? The network’s annual VMAs - supposedly highlighting the best in music video entertainment - came and went yesterday, and like past years, it seems unlikely that anyone will remember three days from now who won or lost, that any of the winners will go on to greater success because of their awards, and so on. Unlike the Grammies, Emmys, or Oscars, it seems like no one brags about their Moonman trophies - if they do, maybe it’s just that no one’s listening. This year, MTV switched some of its awards to a formula where viewers helped to choose the winners, perhaps hoping that the viewers would care more about the awards if they had some stake in the outcome.

And people are getting plenty of music video content these days from the Internet - a lot for free, from sites like AOL Music, the official web sites of bands, and elsewhere (read: Bittorrent). The rest comes from stores like Apple’s iTunes, which give you split-minute previews and let you make up your mind about buying the rest. Younger listeners have embraced the Internet quickly and fully; swapping MP3s was only the beginning.

The impression I get is that the Internet is basically eating MTV and other non-interactive media alive - artists can take their music and messages directly to the masses, find hundreds of different, semi-influential outlets to talk with, and become well-known even if MTV has no role in the process. People I talk with are finding more good music these days through blogs and other web sites rather than MTV’s Overdrive. Then, when they want to buy the music, they do it through iTunes, not URGE. For many people, MTV’s been cut entirely out of a loop it once could have controlled from end to end. In my view, the reason’s that MTV picked the wrong horse to back when it went with Microsoft rather than Apple, and is only beginning to reverse that trend with sales of certain of its TV shows through iTunes.

To be totally clear about one point, I don’t think this is a “good” thing - I actually like some of what MTV has done in the past, music and otherwise, and the network has definitely developed some of the most entertaining and conceptually influential TV programs of the past dozen years. I’ve actually paid for a bunch of them through the iTunes Music Store, and would buy even more if its older, all-too-frequently-cancelled-in-their-prime shows were also available. But as a music opinion leader, MTV has basically disappeared from my radar, and I can’t say that I mind. Readers, what do you think?
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...atter-any-more

Does Anyone Really Want Their MTV Anymore?
Posted Fri Sep 5, 2008 7:00am PDT by Shawn Amos in GetBack
Twenty-seven years ago MTV aired its first video, the Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star." It was an apt choice, even though radio continued to cruise for another 20 years, until XM Radio and the Internet finally stamped it dead. MTV was the last great musical revolution. It kept this high school kid home on many afternoons when I should have been in class. It was the last time I cut school or work for anything.

What a difference 27 years makes.

This Sunday MTV hosts its 25th annual Video Music Awards. It might as well be the 25th annual KMET Awards. Remember KMET? Of course you don't. It's an old Los Angeles classic-rock radio station. And it's dead. Dead just like radio. Dead just like MTV. The revolution is long over, and MTV is just another in a long line of corporate stooges trotting out corporate stooge bands trying to pass themselves off as something anti-establishment. It’s filled with a bunch of reality nothingness celebrating a life of consumerism. The "M" used to stand for "music." Now it stands for "meaningless." EmpTV. Empty. It's all one self-conscious, soulless bore.

Ah, but on August 1, 1981, it was magic. Nothing but '80s video goodness and the whole world in front of us. Big hair, padded shoulders, and lots of guitar hooks. Here are the first 10 videos played that day in order. Let the good times roll.
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/get...ir-mtv-anymore
Old 09-07-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'll vote for grumpy old man.

Seriously though the only reason I watch it or for Real World and the Challenge and lately I'm not even watching Real World but I can't get enough of the RW/RR Challenges but lately there are more and more people that I don't know on there.
Old 09-07-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i only watch the real world and rr and rw challenges.. thats it...
Old 09-07-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would really like some examples of these "entertaining and conceptually influential TV programs of the past dozen years" (presumably 1994-2006).
Old 09-07-08, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drexl
I would really like some examples of these "entertaining and conceptually influential TV programs of the past dozen years" (presumably 1994-2006).

Like it or not, TRL was a pretty influential show. It was the American Bandstand of our era. Real World also was pretty influential and it considered the reality show that spark all others. And the 10PM spot had some nice late night shows and toons. It was influential in starting the Adult Swim for cartoon network.
Old 09-07-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I sometimes watch it. I still watch the RR/RW challenges sometimes, and I like the award shoes still. They're fun for what they are. I also dig some of the other random shoes like Made or Wild N Out too.

That said, I think a lot of people still watch MTV. Most people here just aren't really on the same vibe as pop culture these days.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-07-08 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Yeah.. TRL = Bandstand, with a fraction of the popularity and none of the saying power.
Old 09-07-08, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah.. TRL = Bandstand, with a fraction of the popularity and none of the saying power.
Believe it or not, it has been like that. Not only musicians, but actors and directors have gone there to promote their latest films. Everyone, from Mariah Carey to Elton John to Madonna to Britney to Paul McCartney to Will Smith to Foo Fighter to Rage Againts the Machine have been on the show. That show was really popular, specially back in 1998-99.
Old 09-07-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
saying power = staying power, my bad. The show was popular for a couple years but that was about it.

They still get stars and directors and bands on there regularly, much to my own surprise. The show launched a few careers (girl from One Tree Hill and Carson Daly's horrible talk show). But that was more of a short rebound for MTV which was in the shitter prior to that and after it.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-07-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
x2.

Looking forward to The Island next on Wednesday.

I also only end up watching maybe every third season of The Real World.
Old 09-07-08, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, I voted "I don't watch MTV anymore" but I forgot about Human Giant.

And there have been some good shows on MTV:

Human Giant
The Ben Stiller Show
The State
Beavis and Butt-head
Daria
Clone High
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
Æon Flux
Wonder Showzen
Old 09-08-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to watch the original Road Rules (back before The Amazing Race), Daria, and Clone High. I'll have to check out Human Giant online.

MTV obviously gave up on the music bit a while ago, and it seems most cable channels are all about reality shows these days. I doubt MTV will ever go back to being any sort of music-oriented channel again. Same for MTV2, which was great from its debut in 1996 until about 2002.

It was annoying back in the late 90s if you liked music videos, but now with the internet, it's not tough to find videos. And if you need it on television there's still FuseTV as well as Subterranean on MTV2.

I'm sure people are still watching MTV. It wouldn't be on if they weren't. Might seem like crap to us, but I'm sure people said the same thing 20 years ago.
Old 09-08-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Only for Rob and Big, the greatest reality show of all time.
Old 09-08-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
Same here
Old 09-08-08, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't watch it. It was great in the early-to-mid 90's. The Real World, Beavis & Butt-head, and actual music videos. Plus back then, the MTV Movie Awards show was a lot of fun.

Now it's completely irrelevant. It's all reality TV shows. And the few music videos that do get played are for crappy tunes that no one remembers six months after they debut.
Old 09-08-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Nope. MTV in the U.S. is garbage. I've been to Asia quite a few times over the years and have watched MTV Asia and all they played was Music Videos (new and old) along with having some really Hot Female Asian VJ's. I was literally glued to my hotel TV set for hours.
Old 09-08-08, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watch a lot of Fuse and VH1 Classic because of the videos. Pretty bummed that MTV2 doesn't even show music anymore.
Old 09-08-08, 05:31 AM

Reality TV blows, there is no more music, why bother???
Old 09-08-08, 05:56 AM

I am total Real World and Challenge whore. And I will always put on an episode of
True Life is its on.
Old 09-08-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't watched MTV since 120 Minutes was axed.

It amazes me how people can stomach dumb shits like Heidi and Spencer.
Old 09-08-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
MTV used to be so relevant to me that I initially switched from cable to satellite because the local cable company in the town I was moving to didn't carry it.

Now I have it blocked from my favorites list beause just seeing the programming grid pisses me off.
Old 09-08-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MTV has been horrible the past few years. People have been complaining for about 10+ years now, but maybe its Im just older now and cant relate to these high school reality shows. I really enjoyed the rob n big show, but other than that there isnt much. Cribs and yo mama were good shows to a degree. Sucker free plays some decent videos. Ive dealt with the fact its not Music Television anymore, but the shows on there now just suck.
Old 09-08-08, 12:38 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I voted for burn in hell.

MTV used to have fringe programming, and those were really good. The list above from
Aegean2007 is a good start. There are a few missing, as noted below (minus Daria, Clone High and Aeon Flux, which are mentioned). Plenty of good live actions shows too (Dead at 21, Undressed, and 2ge+her). Now it is just total garbage (Wikipedia has The Hills listed as a drama series, proving that it is not reality, like so many claim it is)

After Beavis & Butt-head ran its course, Daria (in my opinion) stepped in. That show was fantastic.

Aeon Flux was also amazing, but I was too young at the time to get it. I have such a deep appreciation for it now at 25.

The Head, another great show. There were many great moments on that one.

Clone High was also fantastic...that was an animated Scrubs.

Lastly, there was one MTV show that came out way after MTV had lost "it" that was really good and had major potential to be a phenomenal show. That show was 3 South. The quotables that came from that show was staggering and I firmly believe everyone, at some point in their lives, has known a Dell or Sanford type. I found a guy on IMDB that was selling a bootleg of the show a few years ago that I got a hold of, and I really truly hope that Paramount releases it one day, I will buy it.

**EDIT - Forgot to mention The Maxx, which was also part of the MTV Oddities block. Though that one also will probably never get released, that was another bootleg I got and I will buy that if it is ever released at all. Fingers crossed that DAP (Digital Archive Project) grabs a hold of the ones that have not been released so all of us can have these shows.

Last edited by macnorton; 09-08-08 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 12:39 PM

heck yea i watch.. don't forget season premiere of the island this wedsday.. I would much rather watch these shows than music videos.. you hear alot of music on these shows anyways.. so yea i still watch.
Old 09-08-08, 04:03 PM

I'm 26 and stopped watching after MTV Cribs and Pimp my Ride left. I could not watch Laguna Beach or My Sweet 16 because it made me want to beat the shit out of rich teenage girls.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.