Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles *Season Prem.* - "Samson and Delilah" - 9/08/08

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles *Season Prem.* - "Samson and Delilah" - 9/08/08

Old 09-09-08, 08:31 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 69,340
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace View Post
I guess I am in the minority here with Deftones, this premiere was really bad. Lacked depth and originality. Honestly I don't see this show will last either.

Lack of story, boring characters (the FBI agent is the only mildly interesting character), no real/memorable villain ( I can't even tell you the bad terminator's name), Shirley Manson can't act worth a shit.

Predictable as hell. Terrible flow. Terrible dialog. How many times are we going to have Sarah Connor ask "John are you ok" then John just gives a blank stare and says nothing. That shit got old real quick. The SAME stupid tension between John and Sarah, over and over and over again. We got a full season of that shit in S1, have we not developed these characters any more than that?

There is no depth to this show either. Week after week are we going to have people running from Terminator's? Where is the depth, mystery and character development?

The "I love you" from Cameron to John was just cheesy. Summer is a beautiful woman IMO, but this angle they are using, this love/sexual tension between robot and human, is really lame, and lacks originality.

Very unimpressed. It's going to stay on my DVR for now, but its on life support, I will give it a couple more shots, if it doesn't improve, Its gone. I won't miss it.
Wow! That's some really harsh criticism. Did you even like season 1 or did you just force yourself to watch it since there was really nothing else on last Spring?

I disagree with you regarding character development. In season 1, they actually developed the characters really well even though it was a really short season. Also, every week isn't going to be a Terminator chasing them even though Cromartie is still an intregal part of the storyline. The episode "Dungeons and Dragons" last season that jumped forward into the future and explored the relationship between Kyle and Derek and their struggles for survival I thought that was one of the best episodes last season. I actually really like Headey's portrayal of Sarah. Even though she's not as badass with a killer instinct, she's caring and nuturing to her son. I don't think we got to see that side of her in T2.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-09-08 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 08:50 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched this...I was cracking up at the end with the T-1000. I figured she was sitting in the john hearing them talk ..ala Dick Jones in Robocop. In fact that whole scene was a rip from Robocop, with the exception of the robot in the urinal.
Old 09-09-08, 09:59 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,512
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe i read that she got the job because she is friends with the producer or writer or somebody in creative's wife.
Old 09-09-08, 10:11 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 1,702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linda Hamilton drives me nuts in T2. Her acting is so extreme, it's distracting. I didn't orignially feel that way, but that's kind of how it's grown to be with me, over time. I much prefer Lena Headey as Sarah.

Great opening. It looks like things will get complicated real quick.
Old 09-09-08, 11:52 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County
Posts: 4,915
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In agreement with those who said that the first few minutes of the premier were shaky. Between Manson's "acting" and the annoying emo stares by John, I was ready to stop the ep. Picked up considerably when Austin Green appeared and I'm digging the FBI agent.

A nitpick: Granted, it's a show about cyborgs and time travel so I expect some absurd things to happen (Cameron staples her face! Austin Green is actually good on this show!), but MY GOD, the show almost lost me when Sarah was speeding away in the truck and Cameron, despite a severe limp and slow walk, managed to beat the truck to the other end of the tunnel. That shit may fly on Friday the 13th (because it's JASON, duh), but not on this show. Lazy plotting there.
Old 09-10-08, 05:47 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,391
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
...the show almost lost me when Sarah was speeding away in the truck and Cameron, despite a severe limp and slow walk, managed to beat the truck to the other end of the tunnel. That shit may fly on Friday the 13th (because it's JASON, duh), but not on this show. Lazy plotting there.
I was also trying to figure out why they didn't just run into her with the truck; it's like they tried to drive around her, which is how she managed to flip the vehicle. Even though it would have damaged the front end, it still would have been able to throw Cameron pretty damn far and provide extra time to get away.
Old 09-10-08, 06:04 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 60,672
Received 808 Likes on 543 Posts
The more I think about it, the more John's wig bothered me.
Old 09-10-08, 07:20 AM
  #108  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,217
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just watched the premiere and loved it

Thought it was better than anything done last year, I was happy to see the show return for season 2, but was not terribly excited about it.

After that premier, I am now looking forward to the season.

a great start!
Old 09-10-08, 07:34 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,352
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Watched the 1st episode of the second season last night. What a huge let down. The whole opening with the Shirley Manson song playing and the cut photography was bloody awful. Then the sheer number of things that happened in the episode that were just plain stupid. Guy drops his lighter and accidently knocks over a cannister of lighter fuel....said fuel then just so happens to pour out all next to a large petrolium tank that just so happened to be located under the stairs of a house. Giving the gun to the female terminator at the end. The terminator overiding its termination order. Just plain stupid stuff and very poor writing. Add to which you have the actor who was playing the internal affairs guy interviewing the cop. This guy really needs to get out of the acting game and improve his voice skills. I could hardly hear what he was saying and his acting consisted of opening his eyes as wide as possible and not blinking. Way to go moron. Then the single worst thing about it all.....Shirley Manson. I like Garbage, but that is how i would describe her character and acting. The character was horrible, the whole morphing into a urinal was so bad it made me want to laugh out loud. She deserves being pissed on though for even thinking she could act. The woman cannot act to save her life and we do not need a T-1000 type character brought in at this early a stage. In the end i felt pretty cheated. I had enjoyed the first season and was expecting more of the same. What we got was little action, and lots of running around and being emotional. Thats fine, but we need moderation with these things. I said to my mate after watching it that it felt more like a bloody episode of Dawsons Creek than a Terminator show. I hope that this series gets better and loses the crap thats its suddenly picked up after season 1.

Last edited by james2025a; 09-10-08 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 08:50 AM
  #110  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,391
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Watched the 1st episode of the second season last night. What a huge let down. The whole opening with the Shirley Manson song playing and the cut photography was bloody awful. Then the sheer number of things that happened in the episode that were just plain stupid. Guy drops his lighter and accidently knocks over a cannister of lighter fuel....said fuel then just so happens to pour out all next to a large petrolium tank that just so happened to be located under the stairs of a house. Giving the gun to the female terminator at the end. The terminator overiding its termination order. Just plain stupid stuff and very poor writing. Add to which you have the actor who was playing the internal affairs guy interviewing the cop. This guy really needs to get out of the acting game and improve his voice skills. I could hardly hear what he was saying and his acting consisted of opening his eyes as wide as possible and not blinking. Way to go moron. Then the single worst thing about it all.....Shirley Manson. I like Garbage, but that is how i would describe her character and acting. The character was horrible, the whole morphing into a urinal was so bad it made me want to laugh out loud. She deserves being pissed on though for even thinking she could act. The woman cannot act to save her life and we do not need a T-1000 type character brought in at this early a stage. In the end i felt pretty cheated. I had enjoyed the first season and was expecting more of the same. What we got was little action, and lots of running around and being emotional. Thats fine, but we need moderation with these things. I said to my mate after watching it that it felt more like a bloody episode of Dawsons Creek than a Terminator show. I hope that this series gets better and loses the crap thats its suddenly picked up after season 1.
Are you sure you watched season one? It was plagued with the very same problems you complain about above.
Old 09-10-08, 11:14 AM
  #111  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,934
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched it last night on my laptop.

Regarding why that Terminator didnít kill the FBI agent, IMO he was about to but since he laid down his gun the agent was no longer a threat to him. And his objective is to kill John Conner.

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Next generation Real Doll.
AHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
The terminator overiding its termination order. Just plain stupid stuff and very poor writing.
But this Terminator never had that order. It was an error. So she simply reverted back.
Old 09-10-08, 11:38 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,215
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was a pretty crappy opening episode, especially after the high that season 1 ended on. Manson was horrible; looking and acting. Not even a burn on Cameron's face after the explosion? Brilliant. Cameron pulls a Jason and is now faster than a speeding truck. Sure.

Did I miss something at the end? Where did Cromartie come from when he was talking to the FBI guy. All of a sudden it cut to Cromartie talking to him and it didn't make any sense where they were. I don't know if I fastforwarded too far after a commercial break or forgot something earlier in the episode.
Old 09-10-08, 11:45 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, regarding the "Jason" moment at the end of the tunnel: The truck had to turn around because it was blocked by Paper-Boy like obstructions, ie-bum with a shopping cart, trash truck (which in itself was ridiculous), and then proceeded BACK the way they came TOWARDS Cameron. Granted she would have had to jump into the aquaduct with a bad leg, but it's not like she teleported 50 yards down the road.



-Doc
Old 09-10-08, 12:19 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CKMorpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,036
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
Regarding why that Terminator didnít kill the FBI agent, IMO he was about to but since he laid down his gun the agent was no longer a threat to him. And his objective is to kill John Conner.
That's how I look at it. And I'm glad he didn't kill the FBI guy (who's name escapes me), I like him.

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Did I miss something at the end? Where did Cromartie come from when he was talking to the FBI guy. All of a sudden it cut to Cromartie talking to him and it didn't make any sense where they were. I don't know if I fastforwarded too far after a commercial break or forgot something earlier in the episode.
FBI guy was standing in front of the torched house where Sarah, John, and Cameron stayed. Cromartie wanders to the front of the house, where the FBI guy notices him and then freezes up in fear.
Old 09-10-08, 12:33 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,391
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
That's how I look at it. And I'm glad he didn't kill the FBI guy (who's name escapes me), I like him.
I think he's easily the most likable one. Dean Winters would probably come in second.
Old 09-10-08, 03:41 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,716
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver View Post
Guys, regarding the "Jason" moment at the end of the tunnel: The truck had to turn around because it was blocked by Paper-Boy like obstructions, ie-bum with a shopping cart, trash truck (which in itself was ridiculous), and then proceeded BACK the way they came TOWARDS Cameron. Granted she would have had to jump into the aquaduct with a bad leg, but it's not like she teleported 50 yards down the road.



-Doc
Exactly. And that's all I've got to add, quite frankly. Just a bit of validation...
Old 09-10-08, 03:45 PM
  #117  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
That's how I look at it. And I'm glad he didn't kill the FBI guy (who's name escapes me), I like him.
Agent Ellison. Easy to remember if you spot the homage.
Old 09-10-08, 04:19 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,175
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't think anyone can fault Summer Glau for acting too human in the first episode and not applaud Shirley Manson's amazing performance as a robot from the future with little to no instruction on social interaction.
Old 09-10-08, 04:44 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,716
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Agent Ellison. Easy to remember if you spot the homage.
I assume you are in fact referring to Ralph Ellison, author of The Invisible Man? Or perhaps you mean Atiyyah Ellison, former defensive tackle for the 49ers?

Although, I suppose you could be implying that the homage is to Harlan Ellison, but that just sounds crazy.
Old 09-10-08, 04:46 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropping the gun did not convince the Terminator not to kill him. This guy is not the Predator. IMHO he didn't kill him because the Terminator knew that Agent Ellison was tracking down Sarah Conner and he could follow where Ellison leads him...and that reading is confirmed by the subsequent meeting between the two towards the end.
Old 09-10-08, 07:57 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trencher's Farm
Posts: 2,057
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw View Post

That aside, I liked it a lot overall, though I'm getting sick of John brooding and Mom trying to comfort him over and over and over.


Yeah, that and Mom constantly asking John if he's alright!
Old 09-10-08, 08:23 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Baron Of Hell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle and sometimes hell
Posts: 6,199
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to write fan fiction where John has sex with his mom and becomes his own father. Then he'll have a reason to be brooding. Unless it has been done already. Probably has. Oh forget it.
Old 09-11-08, 09:59 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt View Post
Exactly. And that's all I've got to add, quite frankly. Just a bit of validation...

And as a rampantly insecure narcissist, I THRIVE on validation, so it's greatly appreciated



-Doc
Old 09-11-08, 11:45 AM
  #124  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,091
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the moment she first appeared on-screen, I pegged her as a Terminator. I'm not sure yet whether Shirley Manson's performance is bad acting, or the way they're directing her to act like a T-1000.

There's a difference between homage and repetition ... the kill at the end of the episode was definitely the latter. This was the big moment, the big reveal. They should've figured out a different way for the T-1000 to take the guy out; something that would've been impressive, or shocking, or scary, not something we've already seen.
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I thought she was clearly 'faking' emotion to convince John not to dismantle her... which I considered a survival mechanism that, if successful, would have ended in her killing John and everyone else. Other terminators have shown the ability to 'act' human if the situation called on it.

My only gripe with this is consistency. Look at Cameron in the very first episode of the show. She's clearly acting like a normal teenage girl when she first meets John. But every episode after that she's weird and awkward and, well, robotic around her classmates and everyone else, as if she is no longer able to properly 'play her role'.
That's how I took it too, especially since her malfunction was caused by a piece of shrapnel in her head, so her body being squished between two trucks wouldn't have changed anything in her head chip. Knowing John, she knew the emotional act had a good chance of working on him (just as she knew he wouldn't come back for his mother when she screamed), and when it didn't work at first she continued to ramp it up until he pulled the plug. She can act human moderately well, especially when it comes to tricking someone to terminate them; it's the day-to-day social interaction that she hasn't quite figured out. My only gripe with it was the fact that apparently wiping the chip with a rag was enough to fix it. Who knows, though, maybe it was knocked loose and just needed to be re-seated.
Old 09-11-08, 12:27 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,385
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walker Boh View Post
There's a difference between homage and repetition ... the kill at the end of the episode was definitely the latter. This was the big moment, the big reveal. They should've figured out a different way for the T-1000 to take the guy out; something that would've been impressive, or shocking, or scary, not something we've already seen.
See, I saw it as the nail in the "This is a T-1000" coffin. With whatever stupid hybrid they had in T3, and all the convoluted plot-threads in Terminator lore, I loved that move, because it placed us firmly in Robert-Patrick-T-1000 territory. I loved it. My roommate (who's seen both movies, but is not a mega-fan) went "Oh shit!" when she impaled his skull, so it looks to have served its purpose for the casual viewers, anyway.



-Doc

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.