DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Top Design, Season 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/538964-top-design-season-2-a.html)

Sweet Baby James 09-03-08 08:05 PM

Top Design, Season 2

The premiere is on tonight after Project Runway. I didn't watch Season 1, but I'm going to give this season a shot. It looks like it'll be like HGTV's Design Star with more drama.

chino77 09-04-08 02:22 AM

its just design star without the hosting prize. it was good though.

LiquidSky 09-04-08 08:01 AM

What do you think about having a team challenge right off the bat? I think it's a little unfair. How can the judges really tell each person's talent?

chino77 09-04-08 12:24 PM

i thought the team challenge was unfair. especially one as difficult as that one.

DRG 09-05-08 10:31 AM

Has the show gotten any more exciting in S2? I'm a big fan of Project Runway, Top Chef, and Shear Genius, but S1 of Top Design just seemed blah to me and I only made it a few episodes in.

Jadzia 09-05-08 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 8919453)
Has the show gotten any more exciting in S2? I'm a big fan of Project Runway, Top Chef, and Shear Genius, but S1 of Top Design just seemed blah to me and I only made it a few episodes in.

Yes, Season 1 was bad. I read that the Project Runway producers took this over and overhauled it for this season, and so far it seems much better than the first season.

iggystar 09-05-08 06:29 PM

Ok, I'l take your word for it because I honestly didn't expect to see a second season being the first was so deathly dull.

Sweet Baby James 09-06-08 10:29 AM

It would appear that Mrs. Ricky Schroder has been designated as the prick for this season!

LiquidSky 09-08-08 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James (Post 8921835)
It would appear that Mrs. Ricky Schroder has been designated as the prick for this season!

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe that bitchy dude (1980s preppy looking) who works for Martha Stewart will give her a run for the money.

Howiefan 09-08-08 07:49 AM

I still refuse to believe the winner from season one is straight.

LiquidSky 09-18-08 07:25 AM

Has anyone else been keeping up with this? Three episodes and three team challenges. I'm ready to see what these guys and gals can do individually!

It was fun to see Sweet P from Project Runway on last night's episode.

LiquidSky 09-18-08 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Howiefan (Post 8925019)
I still refuse to believe the winner from season one is straight.

I got a very strong gay vibe from him as well. Perhaps he's bi and decided to get married and have a child.

DRG 09-18-08 09:50 AM

So far this is worlds better than season one. It actually feels like a counterpart to Project Runway, Top Chef, etc. now and not just a pale imitation.

LiquidSky 09-19-08 07:43 AM

The preppy dude that works for Martha Stewart gets on my nerves.

clckworang 09-19-08 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 8947182)
So far this is worlds better than season one. It actually feels like a counterpart to Project Runway, Top Chef, etc. now and not just a pale imitation.

I agree. It's a definite improvement. But what's with all these team challenges?

And Wizzet (spelling?) really gets on my nerves. I'll be very happy when he gets the boot, but I fear he'll be around a while longer because he's one of the more colorful characters.

DRG 09-19-08 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 8949316)
But what's with all these team challenges?

My guess is that based on the nature of design and space requirements, it was easier for them to do a lot of team challenges at the beginning of the season rather than trying to organize 12 different lofts or bunkers or whatever, and this way they didn't have to resort to using phony little 'set rooms' like they did in season one. I bet once they've whittled it down to a more managable number of contestants they will have more individual challenges.

Bibliophile4 09-19-08 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky (Post 8946842)
Has anyone else been keeping up with this? Three episodes and three team challenges. I'm ready to see what these guys and gals can do individually!

It was fun to see Sweet P from Project Runway on last night's episode.

Yeah, Sweet P was one of my faves on PR during that season. I don't like Ondine and Natalie, but I was rooting for Sweet P's team to win. I thought that Andrea's team should've gotten kudos from the judges though, since they were the only team that had the idea of having their designer "autograph" the window display.

I keep watching this show, but it totally pales in comparison to PR or Top Chef.

BDB 09-25-08 01:48 PM

I'm enjoying this show, its quite good, last weeks episode as great, but I would have went with the darker window.

Last night they made the correct decision for sure. Although the team who designed for the 23 year old really had no idea, and no concept of what a 23 year old wants.

Jadzia 09-25-08 03:06 PM

Every time Wizzet speaks, he reminds me of that frail prince from Monty Python & the Holy Grail who just wanted to "sing..."

LiquidSky 09-25-08 03:09 PM

I still don't like preppie dude. Breaking stuff and then having an attitude about it.

LiquidSky 09-25-08 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 8963026)
Every time Wizzet speaks, he reminds me of that frail prince from Monty Python & the Holy Grail who just wanted to "sing..."

I want him to break into opera again. :D

LurkerDan 09-26-08 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 8963026)

:lol: excellent! I will be unable to avoid thinking that from now on.

BDB 10-23-08 05:08 PM

Alright.

down to the last 4 now.

Last nights show wasn't a surprise.

Eddie was very lucky he won the pop design. I really think Preston's was awesome, but he does for the most part do similar designs.

LiquidSky 10-24-08 06:15 PM

Eddie is a bitchy stuck-up douche. He is everything I detest in a gay man.

BDB 10-30-08 01:10 PM

Ha!!
Eddie are dead. Love it..