TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tivo coming back to DirecTV....

Old 09-03-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Tivo coming back to DirecTV....

DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service
Wednesday September 3, 7:00 am ET

EL SEGUNDO and ALVISO, Calif., Sept. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV - News), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, and TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), announced today that they have extended their current agreement, which includes the development, marketing and distribution of a new HD DIRECTV DVR featuring the TiVoŽ service, as well as the extension of mutual intellectual property arrangements.

Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVoŽ service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform. The product will support the latest TiVo and DIRECTV features and services, including TiVo's Universal Swivel Search and TiVo KidZone. TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009.

DIRECTV will continue to develop and offer its own portfolio of industry leading set top boxes as primary offerings to both new and existing customers. This new TiVo box will be offered as an alternative choice to those DIRECTV customers who would like to add TiVo to a full line up of DIRECTV services.

"We have had a very successful history with DIRECTV. Together we brought the TiVo experience to millions of DIRECTV customers and now we look forward to launching a next generation product that uses TiVo's latest features to truly showcase DIRECTV's broad selection of high-definition programming -- all stitched together with the elegance of TiVo's renowned user experience," said Tom Rogers, TiVo's CEO and president. "This agreement demonstrates our continued embrace of mass distribution opportunities in cooperation with major multichannel operators who recognize the value of giving their customers a choice of compelling user experiences."

Like prior products developed by TiVo and DIRECTV, the new HD offering will be marketed and sold by DIRECTV nationally to its entire customer base as part of its growing portfolio of brand name video offerings. Specific consumer pricing and packaging will be announced in conjunction with DIRECTV's launch of the product.

"As the industry's content and technology leader, DIRECTV has a long-standing reputation for developing innovative, advanced products and services, including our highly successful series of DVRs and HD DVRs," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We will continue to work with TiVo and make this new product available to all new and existing DIRECTV customers who may want to add TiVo on top of our industry leading experience."

DIRECTV and TiVo began their relationship in 2000 with the launch of the first DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service. In April 2006, the companies announced an extension of their commercial and advertising relationship and those commercial and advertising capabilities are further extended, and now include the new HD platform. DIRECTV and TiVo also recently deployed a software update to existing DIRECTV with TiVo boxes, which enables new features like DIRECTV's Remote Booking.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
the coolest part of this is that it seems they are going to start doing software for DirecTVs HDDVRs. That way, existing customers with those won't have to swap them out if they don't want to.
Old 09-03-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understood why DirecTV wanted to develop DVRs in-house, but I'm glad they've now come to their senses.

Last edited by Chew; 09-03-08 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hallelujah!

I have had so many blank recordings on my DirecTV HD-DVR, I have to record a backup of all my shows on my 2 old non-HD DirecTivo receivers. I was seriously considering dumping DirecTv and going back to Comcast, so I could buy a standalone HD Tivo unit.

Now I only have to deal with the headaches until mid-2009.
Old 09-03-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I understood why DirecTV wanted to develop DVRs in-house, but I'm glad they've now came to their senses.
NO KIDDING. If you go to http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay....112&order=desc you'll find 10 pages of discussion on problems with the latest software "update" alone.

I've had so many problems with my DirecTV-DVR it's ridiculous, and I never had a single one with my Tivo, so bring it on...
Old 09-03-08, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the best f'n news I've heard in a long, long time!
Old 09-03-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. DirecTV may have just saved themselves from being cancelled on my end. Right now I'm recording with TiVo HD over the air, poised to dump DirecTV once my DirecTiVos stopped being supported/stopped working. But I'm all in for a new HD DirecTiVo! I just wish my existing TiVo HD could be modified to work on DirecTV - though I know it never will.
Old 09-03-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This news keeps getting better, my Tivo stock is up today!

Old 09-03-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once these new HD Tivos come out, I think I will replace my other 2 TV sets with HDTV's.

I have time to start saving up now.
Old 09-03-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick, alert das Monkey !
Old 09-04-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This was the only reason I was never going to get DirecTV. Now I can!

I hope this box will work with the external hard drive.
Old 09-04-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I may have to switch from Cablevision to DirecTV when this happens. I hate the piece of shit Cablevision DVR. My only problem is that I still need my internet service provider. I will have to price out what this will cost me in total.
Old 09-04-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
It will be interesting to see how much more they charge for the Tivo's over their own product.
Old 09-04-08, 01:21 PM

If the software works as badly as it does on the Comcast TiVo, this may not be that great.
Old 09-04-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
This didn't affect me at all. I initially subscribed to Directv when they still had the DVR's with Tivo.

BTW, were the new Directv DVR's really that bad?
Old 09-04-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
They are ok...when they work.

Since this spring, I have gotten a blank recording at least a couple times a month. It is enough to make me want to chuck the thing out of the window.

My other old DirecTivo units are like old faithful. I can rely on them to record my shows. The DirecTV DVRs are not reliable. They have a ton of features, but if they can't be relied upon to always record, what good are they as a DVR?
Old 09-04-08, 02:37 PM
Suspended

I've had 2 HR20's for a year now, had HR10-250's before. Like anything they were tough to get used to at first, but now I actually like them. I haven't had any issues with recordings troubles since probably early this year. I think they've sort of gotten the bugs worked out.

The interface isn't as nice and "pretty" as Tivo's, but it's not bad.

The biggest problem with them - no duel live buffers.

So I still have an HR10-250...any guesses as to whether they will/can update these to support MPEG-4?
Old 09-04-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
The Directv HR20 receiver I have freezes occasionally where you press any button and nothing happens and if you have to restart the receiver.

One time I restarted it and it erased all my season passes and future recordings so I had to reprogram all of them.

I hope the new model will still allow you to watch TV while looking through the guide and program recordings.
Old 09-04-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I hope the new model will still allow you to watch TV while looking through the guide and program recordings.
That is the only thing I like more about the DirecTV DVRs than my old DirecTivo. But I am assuming the DirecTivo software is pretty stripped down and out of date since they weren't really working with Tivo the last few years. I am hoping the new DirecTivo software will be even better than the old onewith many of the newer features incorporated.
Old 09-04-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Not for me. I haven't ever had any missed recordings. The only thing it is missing is dual live buffers. I preferred the guide in the old DirecTiVos, but the DirecTV one is fine.
Old 09-04-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Not for me. I haven't ever had any missed recordings. The only thing it is missing is dual live buffers. I preferred the guide in the old DirecTiVos, but the DirecTV one is fine.
Well you may change your mind once you see all the great features the current generation of TiVos that are supported like internet support, My Tivo Desktop and multiroom support. I also hope my current My DVR Expander that I just bought can be supported!
Old 09-04-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Good because my DirecTV HR20-100 DVR is a piece of shit. I have to reset the damn thing on a daily basis.
Old 09-04-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an HR20-700 and haven't had any major issues with it in the year or so I've had it. Still, I wouldn't mind getting back to Tivo.
Old 09-04-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
the coolest part of this is that it seems they are going to start doing software for DirecTVs HDDVRs. That way, existing customers with those won't have to swap them out if they don't want to.
Holy crap, that's awesome! When I heard the report on the Wall Street Journal This Morning (WSJTM), I was bummed because my primary SD DirecTivo crapped out 2 months ago - it overheated due to a mistake I made and burned out one of the tuners. With Tivo and DirecTV having parted ways, and with our household ready to jump squarely into HD programming, I was forced to get a pair of DirecTV HDDVRs. I thought that my timing was teh suck, and that I was going to have to wait and BUY replacement DirecTivoHDDVRs when they became available.

But this news, if true, is teh bomb!!!1111!!!1111eleven!!11
Old 09-04-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm still using my HR10-250 so this is good news.
Old 09-04-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah geez, I was just about to dump DirecTV and go HD with another provider, all because DirecTV no longer have Tivo. I still have DirecTV with two SD Tivos...can I last another year?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.