Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Mad Men--"Maidenform"--8/31/08

Mad Men

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Don and Duck attempt to make peace at the office; Peggy tries to find a way to participate in the high-level after-hours meetings being held by the executives; one of Duck's family members visits his office.

Old 08-31-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally caught up!!!! This will be my first live show.
Old 09-01-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was great as usual.
It seems they are going to develop the Duck character more.
Old 09-01-08, 07:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought there was going to be a end of "Jurassic Bark" type scene when he let the dog go.

Looks like Don's conscious is finally starting to catch up

Betty in that swimsuit
Old 09-01-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I think Don's problem was somebody he didnt even know was talking about him. With his past, I dont think he really wants anybody talking about him much.
Old 09-01-08, 09:16 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Axeramm
I think Don's problem was somebody he didnt even know was talking about him. With his past, I dont think he really wants anybody talking about him much.
I think it had to more to do with him being uncomfortable with the look of admiration his daughter was giving him while he is disgusted with himself.
Old 09-02-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, all of that. He also didn't feel well in that party for war heroes or something like that.
Old 09-02-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I think it had to more to do with him being uncomfortable with the look of admiration his daughter was giving him while he is disgusted with himself.
That and I think he was genuinely surprised that people were aware of his reputation since he seemingly lives his life like yesterday never happened. Anything that makes Don reflect upon his past is uncomfortable/depressing to him.
Old 09-02-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
Yeah, all of that. He also didn't feel well in that party for war heroes or something like that.
Well and we're not entirely clear on that point. It could be that Don Draper was a hero and that Dick Whitman was responsible for Draper's death - and Whitman posed as Draper to escape the war with a hero's reputation.

I'm not feeling anything for the Duck character. And I couldn't believe he did that to that poor dog. Pete was right - they could have kept him as an office mascot. Seems like he was wandering the halls the better part of a week.
Old 09-02-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
It was great as usual.
It seems they are going to develop the Duck character more.
I wish we could get some episodes focusing on Joan and Salvatore soon. I like that they are fleshing out so many of the other characters but I have been hoping to see more focus on Joan and Sal (and I care more about them before I do Duck.)
Old 09-02-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrX
Looks like Don's conscious is finally starting to catch up
I think you meant conscience. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

This was a great episode, maybe the best of this season so far. Although I didn't like what Duck did with the dog, that was a great scene. And having Peggy show up at the strip club like that was really surprising and very interesting. So much self-deception and lying going on with almost every character.
Old 09-02-08, 05:54 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I thought Duck was going to commit suicide... I expected him to let the dog go, then we'd see him plummeting out the window...
Old 09-02-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I laughed when Sal was pretty "excited" at the strip club. I told my wife "he's a really good actor"
Old 09-06-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked how they hit home with the duality of light and dark within the characters while giving it to us in the ad campaign. This is the rare show that rewards multiple viewings. Oh, and Betty in her swimwear doesn't hurt.
Old 09-07-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright I'm back to watching this show. I think pete is my favorite character. He's just such a prick and all the characters you kinda dislike a little, he you kinda hate.

And amc has some behind the scenes videos that talk about each episode and are pretty interesting.
<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1119352258" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1759817297&playerId=1119352258&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="440" height="373" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Old 09-28-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I liked how they hit home with the duality of light and dark within the characters while giving it to us in the ad campaign.
Illustrated further by the final shot of dual Dons in the bathroom.

Originally Posted by MrX
Perhaps her comment "I won't say anything" also reminded him of his conversation with Bobbie.

Originally Posted by MrX
Betty in that swimsuit
"My mom's got big ones too."

What was that song used over the opening montage of the various female characters dressing? It sounded very out of place.

Last edited by NoirFan; 09-28-08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 02:59 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was "The Infanta" by the Decemberists. It was recorded in 2005, so they obviously weren't going for period-specificity there.