Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

New Mythbusters & Man vs. Wild (8/13 and 8/20 airings "rescheduled")

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DVR showed it as new, as does Discovery's website and everything. Did anyone else get the sliding down the pirate ship sail and the cannon episode? (first Pirate Special)

It should have been a new episode on Viral Videos from the Internet..
Old 08-13-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We got the pirate ship/cannon ball episode tonight.
Old 08-13-08, 10:23 PM

Yeah. Man vs. Wild was supposed to be new also but it was also a rerun. (Or encore presentation.)
Old 08-13-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what the reason is. They promoted the Louisiana episode last week for Man vs. Wild. Lame.
Old 08-13-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Message board on discovery.com

seems it was a last minute change, otherwise i guess all the dvr schedules and tv listing would have had it.

Man Vs Wild 8/13 and 8/20 premiere episodes have been rescheduled. Watch this space for updated airdates for the rescheduled Deep South and Bear's Essentials episodes.
http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...1241997979/p/1

same for mythbusters

HOT! MythBusters 8/13 and 8/20 premiere episodes have been rescheduled; all-new MythBusters return 8/27 with the NASA Moon Landing episode. Watch this space for updated air dates for the rescheduled Viral Hour and Ninjas2 episodes.
http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...9/m/6351918979
Old 08-13-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
So no reason behind it? Maybe they wanted to advertise it more? I know that for a while there I forgot about Mythbusters because one week there'd be a new episode followed by 3-4 weeks of reruns, a new one and then more reruns...
Old 08-13-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Discovery message board conspiracy theorists say it's the Olympics, but who knows.
Old 08-14-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
Discovery message board conspiracy theorists say it's the Olympics, but who knows.
Yea, that'd be my guess...

Damn, I really want to see the Viral Video and Ninja2 episodes too!
Old 08-14-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of Adam's Oogie Boogie myths... this should be good.
Old 08-14-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was also surprised by the Mythbusters rerun. The Olympics explanation makes sense. But it's not as if they didn't know the Olympics were coming. Seems pretty lamebrained.
Old 08-14-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Cool. My sat won't be hooked up until tomorrow, so I won't have to go into the guide to find it later on.
Old 08-28-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So did everyone catch the Moon Landing episode by now? Pretty solid and a great idea for an episode. I guess I won't spoil it for anyone, but I liked the outcome of all the tests.
Old 08-29-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched it and thought it was one of their best ones. They tackled several of those silly theories and they did a very thorough job of it.
Old 08-29-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
They did a great job "proving" those things. I could understand the theories, but it doesn't take into account how different things are on the moon (reflective ground, lunar dust, etc.)

Very cool stuff. Made me think that we really need to get back there.
Old 08-29-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked the moon one - they seemed very through
Old 08-29-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They only part I thought didn't work was the one about the boot print. I just don't the result would convince a doubter.

The rest was great, especially the part on the plane.
Old 08-29-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aintnosin
They only part I thought didn't work was the one about the boot print. I just don't the result would convince a doubter.

Oh, it does worked. You can see the comparing the one they did it with open air - the footprint didn't hold together. In vaccum chamber, it showed that the footprint hold together.

There are so many doubters pointed out - such as camera and line (the line disppeared) and why camera didn't see star, etc... That's something I would like to see Mythbusters prove it.
Old 08-29-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
and why camera didn't see star, etc...
Speaking as a lifelong photographer, this one is so basic that conspiracy theorists should be embarrassed for even bringing it up.

The astronauts and lunar surface are in full, bright daylight, even brighter than daylight on Earth because there is no atmosphere to diffuse the light (which is why the sky behind them is black, not blue). In comparison, the stars are quite dim.

Imagine setting a camera's exposure to what it would need to be to take a properly-exposed photo of someone outdoors at noon on a cloudless day --- high shutter speed and closed-down aperture. Then go out at midnight with the camera set to the same exposure and take a picture of the night sky. You aren't going to see any stars.
Old 08-30-08, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugh I missed the start of new man v wild!
Old 08-30-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I thought the point about the difference between earth dirt and lunar dirt was the most telling. The conspiracy theorists say that footprints won't hold their shape like that without moisture. That's true on earth, which is their only frame of reference. But they aren't taking into account how different everything is on the moon, so the "pointy" dirt is going to hold it's shape better than the worn, round dirt here on earth. Makes perfect sense, and I thought they did a great job of demonstrating it.
Old 08-30-08, 11:29 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While the boot print result should be convincing to most, I can see how a doubter would point out how the imprint was not as good as the one on the moon. The problem is that in the test the Mythbusters did a heel first (heel-to-toe) type step motion. The full boot never really came down and, thus, it did not leave a complete print. Had they done more of a straight down step down and subsequent push up, which is closer to the reality of a lunar hop-step, it would have turned out even better. Still, the result they got should be good enough for a rational person.
Old 09-01-08, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I watched the Mythbusters episode I couldn't help but thinking that this only proves that NASA didn't make mistakes when they faked the moon landing.

The laser reflector bit, however, is all the proof anyone should need.
Old 09-01-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by the big train
The laser reflector bit, however, is all the proof anyone should need.
not really. it could be argued (legitimately, not bat shit crazily) that that only proves we were able to get a probe up there
Old 09-01-08, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
not really. it could be argued (legitimately, not bat shit crazily) that that only proves we were able to get a probe up there
It really only proves that a computer is capable of displaying a spike on its monitor.

Much less convincing than the thousands of photographs, hours of video footage, physical evidence returned from the moon, and eyewitness testimony from everyone involved in the missions.
Old 09-01-08, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JM
While the boot print result should be convincing to most, I can see how a doubter would point out how the imprint was not as good as the one on the moon. The problem is that in the test the Mythbusters did a heel first (heel-to-toe) type step motion. The full boot never really came down and, thus, it did not leave a complete print. Had they done more of a straight down step down and subsequent push up, which is closer to the reality of a lunar hop-step, it would have turned out even better. Still, the result they got should be good enough for a rational person.
It was a very well-done episode.

One thing though... All rational people already knew it was real... And the irrational people won't be swayed by this show... It was fun, but I doubt it changed any conspiracy people's minds.