DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. What will you be watching? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/537250-2008-summer-olympics-beijing-what-will-you-watching.html)

big whoppa 08-06-08 05:56 PM

2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. What will you be watching?

I know there is a thread over in sports but since the Olympics will be dominating TV for the next few months, how can it not be included in this forum? What will you be watching?

TiVo has an interesting setup for the Olympics that allows you to record the opening and closing ceremonies and each sport that interests you. I like volleyball, diving, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, and even ping pong so I set it to record those.

magiccmom 08-06-08 06:13 PM

I'll be watching it all. I especially like the diving and gymnastic competitions.

Red Dog 08-06-08 06:17 PM

If it's on NBC, it's likely I won't be watching it. The events I like to watch will be relegated to the cable outlets.

And this could have fit in the sports forum thread since there is already discussion about the coverage.

DJariya 08-06-08 06:31 PM

Next few months? More like 16 days.

I will be watching alot of the Primetime coverage and live events at night since I work nights.

Jericho 08-06-08 06:35 PM

Pretty much all of it. I watched the USA-Norway match today. Not a pretty start for the US women's soccer team. Hoping to see some good handball (or any handball for that matter) this year.

big whoppa 08-06-08 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Next few months? More like 16 days.

I will be watching alot of the Primetime coverage and live events at night since I work nights.

Really? 16 days? It felt like it was longer when it preempted all my favorite shows.

DJariya 08-06-08 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Really? 16 days? It felt like it was longer when it preempted all my favorite shows.

It's only 16 days. There was actually a documentary on the '84 games called "16 days of Glory"

Goldberg74 08-06-08 07:32 PM

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/720/picture8mg3.png

If I can get past the security, I'll watch the gymnastics, swimming, diving, and a few track and field events.

Ginwen 08-06-08 07:43 PM

I'll watch almost anything, other than basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, and/or tennis. I like those other sports fine, just not in the olympics. For one thing, for other sports the Olympics is the biggest event, but for those sports it's just kind of an afterthought.

big whoppa 08-06-08 08:32 PM

Yeah, I don't know why all the pros don't turn out for tennis at the Olympics.

Superman07 08-06-08 08:42 PM

Four years ago I had to stay up until 2-3am to watch some of the rowing events. :( I'm betting that Tivo feature doesn't cary over to the old DireTV-Tivos...

cdollaz 08-06-08 08:47 PM

I will watch the following when an American athlete/team is on:

Swimming
T&F
Mens soccer
Boxing
Road Cycling
Diving
Mens Volleyball (regular, not beach)

I may watch basketball if the U.S. is actually in a close game.

big whoppa 08-06-08 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Four years ago I had to stay up until 2-3am to watch some of the rowing events. :( I'm betting that Tivo feature doesn't cary over to the old DireTV-Tivos...

It was part of Guru Guides. It was there a couple of days ago but I don't see it now. Strange.

aynrandgirl 08-07-08 12:01 AM

Track, swimming, indoor volleyball.

JP5683 08-07-08 01:10 AM

Women's Gymnastics + Swimming
Men's Basketball + Baseball

FantasticVSDoom 08-07-08 08:16 AM

All watch as much as I possibly can, but looking the most forward to:
Swimming
Track and Field
Gymnastics
Weightlifting (if I can find it)
Judo
Wrestling

...Im hoping Ill be able to get to watch the Weightlifting, Judo, and Wrestling. I think with Melanie Roach being such a great story, they will show enough of the weightlifting compitition as she is also poised to win some gold. Plus she is a beast (and pretty damn hot)!!!

movieking 08-07-08 08:22 AM

I'll be watching in HD whenever there isn't anything else on.

Iron Chef 08-07-08 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by movieking

same here

Winter Olympics FTW

Raul3 08-07-08 01:21 PM

Women's Beach Volleyball

Big Boy Laroux 08-07-08 03:46 PM

i didn't know about this TiVo thing. i gotta check it out.

i'll watch some basketball, swimming, track, and then women's water polo (my cousin is on the team!)

Cardiff Giant11 08-07-08 04:43 PM

I'll watch a bit, I'm more of a Winter Olympics guy but it will be nice to see all that smog in HD :)

islandclaws 08-07-08 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by movieking

Me too. There isn't really any one event in particular I care to tune in for, so I'll probably just put on the HD broadcast whenever I'm lazing around.

Lateralus 08-07-08 05:05 PM

Nothing, I'll be watching something else; that or twiddling my thumbs.

GatorDeb 08-07-08 07:49 PM

Recording And Keeping (for a while):
OPENING AND CLOSING CEREMONIES, GYMNASTICS, Swimming, and Diving.

Recording until DVR is full:
Everything else.

I just emptied out my DVR in preparation for the Olympics :D

Incidentally, does anyone here have DirecTV? There's supposed to be an Olympics menu and I can't find it. You're supposed to press the button somewhere to pull up a special menu and I don't know which screen to press it on.

Any good sites that are fast and easy to navigate with dates and times that is sortable by sport?

big whoppa 08-07-08 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Recording And Keeping (for a while):
OPENING AND CLOSING CEREMONIES, GYMNASTICS, Swimming, and Diving.

Recording until DVR is full:
Everything else.

I just emptied out my DVR in preparation for the Olympics :D

Incidentally, does anyone here have DirecTV? There's supposed to be an Olympics menu and I can't find it. You're supposed to press the button somewhere to pull up a special menu and I don't know which screen to press it on.

Any good sites that are fast and easy to navigate with dates and times that is sortable by sport?

That's a good idea about recording everything. My Tivo 2 dual tuner has the Olympics recording choices (it's back) on the main TV screen. It has a VISA icon that takes you to another menu to select the events you're interested in recording. On the DirecTV, it should be the same. Oops, I thought you meant the DirecTivo.