Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 8" (7/23-24/08)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who should go home this week?
Joshua Allen
0%
Stephen "Twitch" Boss
10.00%
Mark Kanemura
60.00%
William "Will" Wingfield
20.00%
Comfort Fedoke
100.00%
Courtney Galiano
0%
Chelsie Hightower
0%
Katee Shean
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 11:30 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

Wednesday, July 23 - 2 hours (8/7c)

The Top 8 perform.

Thursday, July 24 - 1 hour (9/8c)

Two of the final eight dancers are eliminated. Also: LL Cool J and the Dream perform "Baby," from LL's latest album, "Exit 13."

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-21-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 11:36 PM

Just for your amusement, I found this on TV Guide's site this week:

Mia Michaels was asked the question "Why are so many talented dancers coming out of Utah?"

She responded: "Because they have no social life, It's the Mormon thing: No sex, drugs, drinking. So dancing becomes a great outlet."

"I remember going there once and you can't have a glass of wine after rehearsals because nothing is open. And then in the morning, you say, "OK, I need coffee." And they say, 'Um, no, it's Sunday.' I was like, 'What?'"

Michaels, however, later issued the statement below, to clarify her position:

"First of all, I have tons of friends who are from Utah and who are Mormons. I love them. I respect their choices and their belief system. And the fact that they don't have the same vices that we do is great. They're so focused in their lives. They're so clear. And they are workhorses. Their work ethic is just amazing. Any dancers that I've worked with in Utah? Oh my god, they do not stop.

And it's not just the dancers. There are so many great choreographers and teachers out there. More than a handful. A double handful. Whenever anybody talks about Utah, it's about how it's a really strong dance capitol. They have even better dancers than New York, sometimes. In New York, we get really strong Broadway dancers, theater dancers, concert dancers. But the dancers who come from a really solid dance state usually come out of Florida or Utah. Their dancers are trained at the highest level. I think it's because there's so much support there and it's so family-based. I think it's really cool.

So I totally apologize if what I said came out wrong, because putting down their way of life is not what I meant, at all. I think it's so admirable, what they do. I respect their way of life. I should take their advice. My sister and her husband are going to build a home and retire in Deer Valley, Utah. It's gorgeous there.

The bottom line is: Any dancer who came to me and said they came out of Utah? I'd say: Come on in."

I found this to be quite funny, I have met many people that have the same reaction on their first (and subsequent) visit to Utah. I wouldn't hold it against her. I think its hilarious.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...News/800043461
Old 07-21-08, 11:39 PM

Dangit... I jumped the gun.

For some reason I thought it was Tuesday night... not Monday night. I need some rest.

My apologies for opening this thread early.

Forgive me.
Old 07-22-08, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No big deal. They don't even really need to dance this week - we all know that Mark and Comfort are going home.

Twitch has an outside shot if he pulls a Kherington this week, but unless he completely blows it, he'll be safe.

I really can't see any of the other girls even being close to being eliminated. The most interesting part of that group is who else will be in the bottom 2 with Comfort (Chelsie or Courtney).
Old 07-22-08, 07:14 AM
Banned

And two observations of this season so far:

1. This season is much worse than last season. The dancers are still very good, it's just that without the two best choreographers (Wade and Shane), they've really suffered. One of those guys would give an awesome dance each week last season. Some of them were so good that I watched them multiple times and still occassionally go to YouTube to check out. This season, there haven't been any that I even bothered to watch twice on the DVR.

2. It's amazing how the producers pick a favorite and coddle that person. I knew they had favorites, but it's never been as apparent as it's been with Twitch and Kherington. They both got a lot of face time in Vegas, then in the Top 20 dances, they got the best choreographers, the best number from that choreographer (it's obvious that all choreographers come into each week with an A routine and a B routine), the best dance styles, the best costumes, and the judges were extra nice to them.

Then they split and the producers decided they didn't like Kherington. She then gets the worst partner for her, Country, a Jazz number that was obviously Tyce's B routine for the week (Katee and Will got his A routine), ugly costumes, and the judges shred her.
Old 07-22-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
Mark & Comfort - Foxtrot & Hip-Hop (Napoleon/Tabitha)
Joshua & Chelsie - Argentine Tango & Disco
Twitch & Katee - Contemporary (Mia; "Mercy" by Duffy) & Broadway
Will & Courtney - Samba & Hip-Hop (Napoleon/Tabitha)

Definitely looks like Mark and Comfort are gone.

I am rooting for either Courtney or Chelsie to win. I'd be okay if Joshua won. I had so many favorites last year, not this year.
Old 07-22-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
And two observations of this season so far:

1. This season is much worse than last season. The dancers are still very good, it's just that without the two best choreographers (Wade and Shane), they've really suffered. One of those guys would give an awesome dance each week last season. Some of them were so good that I watched them multiple times and still occassionally go to YouTube to check out. This season, there haven't been any that I even bothered to watch twice on the DVR.
I totally agree. Shane and Wade need to come back! Shane did one of the opening dances a few weeks ago and it was awesome!

So Shane is on "America's Best Dance Crew". Is that show any good?

What about Wade? Where did he go?
Old 07-22-08, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by tbird2340

It's on MTV. Shouldn't have to say any more.
Old 07-22-08, 12:33 PM

I voted for Mark and Comfort- the two that should have gone last week. I also echo the sentiments expressed here about the poor choreography this year. I'd add that the wardrobe choices have been sub-par, as well. Besides the half dress that they keep putting on the girls doing traditional ballroom styles (not that anyone is complaining about that dress!), the wardrobe choices have ranged from peculiar to awful. The two-step boots and costume immediately spring to mind- and the abundance of girls in Chuck Taylor's. Poor Kherrington, she didn't even get to show off her good looks during her last partner performances. And, then she had to suffer through being sent into the bottom 2 in that awful Mia Michaels routine make-up.
Old 07-22-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Wow, if those pairings are really random...
Old 07-23-08, 09:15 AM

Should be an interesting night.
Old 07-23-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wow, if those pairings are really random...
I'm pretty sure the producers assign the partners and dance styles. People have said that they only are given a card to read to make it appear random.

But the new pairs don't bother me, but I'd like to watch other dances more often like mambo, wcs, paso, pop, hustle, salsa, etc.
Old 07-23-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Renee
I voted for Mark and Comfort- the two that should have gone last week.
+1 I almost considered dropping the rest of the season when Gev was booted. He was certainly one of the more creative and physically strong of the male dancers. I still don't understand how he lost.

Mark is just boring and limited. Comfort is just flat out a trainwreck - how many more weeks are we going to have to endure her tired "hip hop" personal dance as part of the bottom two?
Old 07-23-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I'm one of the few that really likes Mark. I enjoyed all his performances with Chelsea, and I love the way he throws himself into the character of the dance and the way his body moves. I dont find him limiting. Even though that jazz number was boring, he was technically pretty good. Better than Gev would have been in that number that showcased technique.
Old 07-23-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chelsie and Joshua were solid at everything.

Courtney's solo was weak. She needs to do better if she wants to make it to the top 4. She and Will did well together.

Katee-Twitch contemporary was good. Their broadway was meh.

Mark and Comfort really need to leave.
Old 07-23-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was wrong. I voted Twitch even before tonights performances. Its obvious Mark and Comfort are going home, and they should. All performances were awesome except for the foxtrot. Courtenay has really evolved in my book, and her solo was the best of the night of the girls. It will really be tough next week, any one of the remaining 6 could take it and deserve it.
Old 07-23-08, 09:27 PM

I hope it was just me, but during Will and Courtney's "Slow Hip-Hop" I really think that Courtney was pushed to the back and Will was showcased at her expense.

With her being dressed in black and he in white, she seemed to always fade into the shadows while he stood out like a sore thumb.

It really pissed me off and made me not like the routine at all... and I love her dancing, and still think Will is playing Debbie Allen's silver-spoon card.

It just urks me to no end.

But, all in all the night was wonderful, except for one thing...

Whatever medication Toni Basil borrowed from Paula Abdul, she needs to cut the dosage in half. Was it in her contract that she had to go last and use the word 'organic' in every sentence?

Anyways, Will needs to go so that they can have a pissy Debbie Allen on saying how America got it wrong and how Will is a much better dancer than all those who are left.

IV REAL!
Old 07-23-08, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
IV REAL!
I actually stopped watching today because I got irritated by their gang sign competition.
Old 07-23-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I actually like Napoleon and Tabitha better then Shane Sparks, or at least the work I've seen from them this season.

I still think Will is the best dancer on the show. I think if they never brought up the Debbie Allen thing he would have been better recieved.
Old 07-23-08, 11:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Not really. It's teams of like 7 dancing hip-hop only. Each group does their own choreography and only get like 50 seconds to dance. The teams are assigned music and a challenge that they must incorporate each week (Janet Jackson music/moves last week, for example).

It kind of reminds me of those ESPN cheerleader / dance team competitions.
Old 07-24-08, 07:11 PM

Wonder how an old dog like LL Cool J is gonna be received by the SYTYCD audience.

Should be fun.
Old 07-24-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fabulous solo from Courtney tonight. She absolutely belongs in the top 4 with Chelsie.

Big surprise about Mark, eh? I figured his fans would rally. I was hoping Twitch'd go before Will, oh well. Maybe Mark will gain some confidence.

I know it wasn't Comfort's fault that she came back, but man, I am so glad she is gone.
Old 07-24-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
at the results
Old 07-24-08, 09:08 PM

Now we can safely say that everything is...

II REAL!

... well, that and next week's guest judge will be:

Spoiler:
Debbie Allen

Old 07-24-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
well, that and next week's guest judge will be:

Spoiler:
Debbie Allen

Oh my.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.