Reload this Page >

Farscape, when does it get good?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-13-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been going through Farscape with a friend (had never seen it before) & we are almost through Season 2. Today we saw the one where Erin get's old. While that one was interesting, it does seem to me that interesting ones are too far and few between. The series seems filled with episodes that are just weird to be weird (IE: like they feel that just because it is scifi, the audience has to be confused 2/3 of the episode) & boring episodes. S2 seems much better than S1 was but still many episodes just drag on and I find myself wanting the episode to be over instead of hoping there is more to the story.

I know some people think Farscape is the cat's ass & bring it up when saying they hate SciFi Channel. So my question is, at what point in the series will it be good that I will want to keep watching episode after episode? Or am I just not destined to like the series since it is already in 'the good part'.
Old 07-13-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Right after the opening credits.
Old 07-14-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
I've been going through Farscape with a friend (had never seen it before) & we are almost through Season 2. Today we saw the one where Erin get's old. While that one was interesting, it does seem to me that interesting ones are too far and few between. The series seems filled with episodes that are just weird to be weird (IE: like they feel that just because it is scifi, the audience has to be confused 2/3 of the episode) & boring episodes. S2 seems much better than S1 was but still many episodes just drag on and I find myself wanting the episode to be over instead of hoping there is more to the story.

I know some people think Farscape is the cat's ass & bring it up when saying they hate SciFi Channel. So my question is, at what point in the series will it be good that I will want to keep watching episode after episode? Or am I just not destined to like the series since it is already in 'the good part'.
I just finished the series last year after reading about this show on DVD Talk. I love it now. I really liked season 1. Season 2 dragged for me until the last quarter of the year. After that it was incredible. The thing I love about this show is how different it is from Star Trek. The episode that really epitimized that for me was the one where the crew needed to, forcefully, take something from Pilot to use as trade bait, and they took it (don't want to give away too much). That scene would not have happened on other sci fi shows.
Old 07-14-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm

Truth.

I think if you haven't really started liking it by the last few episodes of S1 it may not be for you.
Old 07-14-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you aren't there now, I'm afraid it may not be your thing. I wish I could be in your shoes and see it again for the first time. I was a little iffy for about 2 episodes, then I realized it was frelling fantastic. Never looked back since then.
Old 07-14-08, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't make is through the pilot...too many puppets
Old 07-14-08, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had this same problem with the show. I even started a thread asking pretty much this same question. I ended up finishing the second season, but I was so emotionally detached from what was going on by that point that I never continued. That was probably two years ago.
Old 07-14-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
Agreed.

If you don't like it now, you won't like it any better going forward.
Old 07-14-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
If you don't like it after Scorpius is introduced, you probably never will.
Old 07-14-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

See, why didn't I get these answers two years ago? All I got were "it's great, stick with it". Thanks for wasting my time, everyone!
Old 07-14-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I try to get people into the show, that is always my cutoff. If you don't like it after Scorpius shows up, just give up.

I liked it from the beginning, but whenever I rewatch the show, that is the point that I think the show really takes off.
Old 07-14-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a tough time getting into the show when I first started. Luckily Sci-Fi had a complete series marathon so I could watch them one after another.

There is an initial detachment of the puppets and BBC style film, but once you adjust to the universe and the main storyline gets going, it becomes one of the most involving shows.

I do agree that the appearance of Scorpius really ramps the show up. It puts some drama into it (and it reduces the amount of silly episodes).
Old 07-14-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you didn't fall in love with the series when Crichton said, "Don't move or I'll fill you full of ... little balls of light" it's not for you.

The appeal of the show is that it's a space opera in which the hero is familiar with the tropes of the genre, having grown up with Star Trek.
Old 07-14-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
See, why didn't I get these answers two years ago? All I got were "it's great, stick with it". Thanks for wasting my time, everyone!
I've said many times on this forum that Farscape is not the kind of show your recommend to strangers. It's not like Babylon 5 where 99% of the people who give it a fair shake end up loving it. Farscape is incredibly "out there", one of precious few series that can genuinely be considered one-of-a-kind, and it takes chances no show ever even considered. As such, sometimes it falls flat on its face, and its style or storytelling doesn't resonate with every viewer. I love it -- I absolutely love it -- but I only rarely recommend it to someone else, and even then with numerous caveats.

Too bad you didn't listen.

das
Old 07-14-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've said many times on this forum that Farscape is not the kind of show your recommend to strangers. It's not like Babylon 5 where 99% of the people who give it a fair shake end up loving it. Farscape is incredibly "out there", one of precious few series that can genuinely be considered one-of-a-kind, and it takes chances no show ever even considered. As such, sometimes it falls flat on its face, and its style or storytelling doesn't resonate with every viewer. I love it -- I absolutely love it -- but I only rarely recommend it to someone else, and even then with numerous caveats.

Too bad you didn't listen.

das
Unfortunately, I don't even bother recommending either anymore. After someone didnt like B5 because the effects look too dated, to something telling me they preferred Voyager to Farscape I just gave up.

I finally got someone hooked on the Wire after proclaiming it has been the best show on HBO for years. No one takes obsessed TV guy seriously.
Old 07-14-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by valkyrie
If you aren't there now, I'm afraid it may not be your thing. I wish I could be in your shoes and see it again for the first time. I was a little iffy for about 2 episodes, then I realized it was frelling fantastic. Never looked back since then.
I enjoyed it from the start but once in Season 2 it really got going and I fell in love with it. If you are there all ready and don't like it yet, than you may never like it.
One of my all time favorite Sci Fi shows.
Old 07-14-08, 05:08 PM

For me, I thought the show hit stride once Chiana shows up. Then Scorpius appears and solidified it as awesome. If you're into Season 2 it's probably just not your kind of show. I'm a massive Farscape fan, but the first season is a bit rough around the edges...kind of like Buffy and Angel. I bailed on Angel after 6 episodes the first time I tried watching it, but a friend at work made me try again and I loved seasons 2 through 5.
Old 07-14-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scorpius is my favorite villain ever. If you don't enjoy the show after he shows up, I doubt you will.

However, that being said, season 3 is one of the greatest things ever in my opinion. I was absolutely mesmerized by the season 1 finale and knew I'd never seen anything like this nor that I ever would again.

Also, there are only a few instances I would really classify as an attempt to be weird for the sake of being weird...and even those times played into a larger whole of the story being told.

Unfortunately, I have known co-workers who tried watching Farscape and couldn't get past the puppets or some of the unusual storytelling techniques, but this show is probably more rewarding upon repeat viewings because there really is a lot of information to take in and remember over four years worth of episodes.

Once again, go Scorpy!

Michael
Old 07-14-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I'll stick with it until next season. The puppets don't bother me. Rigel is one of my favorite characters on the show & Pilot is really well done. Dargo does seem like a Worf clone.
Old 07-14-08, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
I guess I'll stick with it until next season. The puppets don't bother me. Rigel is one of my favorite characters on the show & Pilot is really well done. Dargo does seem like a Worf clone.
I was in the same boat as you -- in fact, I liked the puppet characters than most of the humans. I stuck with the show until the end, actually bought the whole "Starburst" set, but it never clicked for me. Thankfully, I was able to sell the whole set last year and break even.

I wish I had read das Monkey's advice back then. All I ever read was that, much like B5, it gets better. If you're spending money on this, I'd suggest stopping now.
Old 07-14-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
I struggled to make it all the way through this series, in fact the only reason I bothered to finish it was because I had bought all the discs already so I felt obligated. But I have to say the last 4 or so episodes and movie were really good and I felt made it worth the watch.
Old 07-15-08, 08:40 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with A LOT of what has been said.

If you are not enjoying the show once Scorpius shows up you are probably not going to like it. That being said the second 1/2 of S2 all through S3 and most of S4 are some of the best TV I have ever watched.

I will admit I had a VERY hard time getting through the first 6-8 episodes or so. I thought the show was boring, weird, and made no sense at all. I almost gave up on it but told myself I will get through S1 and if I don't care about it I am done. Well I then got to the episode in S1 where all the characters were in different bodies (forget the ep name sorry) and holy crap did I enjoy myself. From that point on I was hooked and I enjoyed the show from that point on. Don't get me wrong there are still plenty of stinkers throughout the series (can anyone say Jeremiah Crichton??) but the show as a whole was excellent.

The show is drastically different than any other show and folks either love it or hate it. If you are not invested into what happens to the main characters (Crichton & Aeryn) then it will not work for you.

B5 is of a similar vein -- people love it or hate it. B5 is a very convoluted and confusing show and if you don't catch a lot of small details in it or pay close attention to what the characters are saying you can get hopelessly lost and hate it.

Anyway since you are this far along take it to the end of S2 and see what you think. If you want to keep going after that do so if you don't care about things then stop.

BTW I agree with all others here ... Scorpius was AWESOME and personally I think he was the best actor on the show (Browder, Black and company were great too but Scorpius was the best IMHO).

Greg
Old 07-15-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Scorpius since he was introduced, and even to this day is one of my favorite characters in all of television. He wasn't a villain with a twirly moustache who was evil just because. You understood his motivations, and yet his ruthlessness was still something that was scary to see.