Reload this Page >

"Family Ties" music replaced? [1985, Alex meets Ellen]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-08-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was watching this on WGN tonight and I caught the ending of this 2-part episode. I recall it orginally being from the 1985 season. Alex Keaton meets and falls in love with Ellen. They eventually married in real life.

Anyways, on the show tonight I noticed that the main song from this episode was replaced. Instead of "At This Moment" by Billy Vera & The Beaters they play an instrumental version of the very same song. I specifically remember it having lyrics when it first aired. Why would they replaced such a key song? Wasn't it this very episode that popularized that song yet it isn't on this syndicated airing. Not sure if they have even reached that point in the DVD releases. This was the 1985 - '86 season.

What sort of music licensing issue is that?
Old 07-08-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Xbox69
So I was watching this on WGN tonight and I caught the ending of this 2-part episode. I recall it orginally being from the 1985 season. Alex Keaton meets and falls in love with Ellen. They eventually married in real life.

Anyways, on the show tonight I noticed that the main song from this episode was replaced. Instead of "At This Moment" by Billy Vera & The Beaters they play an instrumental version of the very same song. I specifically remember it having lyrics when it first aired. Why would they replaced such a key song? Wasn't it this very episode that popularized that song yet it isn't on this syndicated airing. Not sure if they have even reached that point in the DVD releases. This was the 1985 - '86 season.

That's weird. A Canadian station (CTS) has been rerunning this show and I have been recording it for the past year and a half. When the episode ran, the song was intact in that episode.
Old 07-08-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if they have even reached that point in the DVD releases.
Not yet. That episode will be on the Season 4 set due out next month.

I sure hope the song is intact on the DVD. It would suck if it's not!

Rob
Old 07-08-08, 10:54 PM

The lyrics were definitely in the song when this episode originally aired. I would have been 10 in 1985, and I had never heard this song before. This episode made me a "Billy Vera & the Beaters" fan, and I think of Alex and Ellen every time I hear that song!
Old 07-09-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yeah, I definitely got sick of hearing that song in the 80s - talk about radio overkill.

I had a VHS release of these episodes (via a mail-in program through Columbia House) and the song is on there. I wouldn't be suprised if a rights issue came up for the DVD, however and they had to use an instrumental version of it.
Old 07-09-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Renee
The lyrics were definitely in the song when this episode originally aired. I would have been 10 in 1985, and I had never heard this song before. This episode made me a "Billy Vera & the Beaters" fan, and I think of Alex and Ellen every time I hear that song!

Ditto on everything you just said. That would really suck, this many years down the line, to run into a licensing issue regarding one of the most memorable parts of the series.

-Doc
Old 07-09-08, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Once again, Billy Vera and the Beaters demonstrate that they are one of of the greediest bands out there (second only to Metallica).
Old 07-09-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, I definitely got sick of hearing that song in the 80s - talk about radio overkill.
Well and that was that live lame version too where Billy Vera just goes on and ON messing up the original finish of the song which is what made the original resonate after being used on Family Ties.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I had a VHS release of these episodes (via a mail-in program through Columbia House) and the song is on there. I wouldn't be suprised if a rights issue came up for the DVD, however and they had to use an instrumental version of it.
I thought this song showed up multiple times as an instrumental but didn't get played with the lyrics until a breakup scene in the kitchen where Alex is left alone at the end of an episode.

...of course, I haven't seen it in 20+ years so...
Old 07-09-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I really can't see music rights being an issue for this song. Is not like we are talking about a Beatles song.
Old 07-09-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I really can't see music rights being an issue for this song. Is not like we are talking about a Beatles song.
Sometimes studios don't even want to bother trying to track down who owns them or how much it will cost - just futher money you have to pay the lawyers. So they just cover it or replace it.
Old 07-09-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't that song written FOR that show and that episode? I mean, it wasn't something that was found by the producers of the show, as far as I can recall, and arbitrarily used. I thought it was actually made for Family Ties. I don't understand why there are rights issues AT ALL. If there was one song I figured we didn't have to worry about with this show/DVDs it was this one.
Old 07-09-08, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Wasn't that song written FOR that show and that episode? I mean, it wasn't something that was found by the producers of the show, as far as I can recall, and arbitrarily used. I thought it was actually made for Family Ties. I don't understand why there are rights issues AT ALL. If there was one song I figured we didn't have to worry about with this show/DVDs it was this one.
Per Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_This_Moment

"At This Moment" is a song that was first recorded by Billy Vera & The Beaters in 1981. When it was originally released as a single, the song stalled on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at #79. However, the song was included on an episode of the NBC sitcom Family Ties during the 1985-86 season, where it was the love song associated with Alex P. Keaton (played by Michael J. Fox) and his girlfriend on the show, and this renewed interest in the song. "At This Moment" began a revived chart run, eventually peaking at #1 on both the Hot 100 and adult contemporary charts in late January 1987. The song also crossed over to the country format, peaking at #42 on the country singles chart.

A cover version was recorded by country music singer Neal McCoy on his 1990 debut album, also titled At This Moment; although released as a single, McCoy's version failed to enter the country music charts.
Old 07-09-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Renee
Per Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_This_Moment

"At This Moment" is a song that was first recorded by Billy Vera & The Beaters in 1981. When it was originally released as a single, the song stalled on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at #79. However, the song was included on an episode of the NBC sitcom Family Ties during the 1985-86 season, where it was the love song associated with Alex P. Keaton (played by Michael J. Fox) and his girlfriend on the show, and this renewed interest in the song. "At This Moment" began a revived chart run, eventually peaking at #1 on both the Hot 100 and adult contemporary charts in late January 1987. The song also crossed over to the country format, peaking at #42 on the country singles chart.

A cover version was recorded by country music singer Neal McCoy on his 1990 debut album, also titled At This Moment; although released as a single, McCoy's version failed to enter the country music charts.
Well, shoot. That makes it just as bad, if not worse, than if the song was recorded just for the show. The show gave the song it's success. Who would have heard of Billy Vera and the Beaters without the show?

Probably not the band holding out for money on the song, probably their greedy record company or producer or something.
Old 07-10-08, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
There was a "new" Billy Vera compilation released this year so they should be able to track the rights down.

The episode made the song and the song made the episode. Cutting it would be DVD Hall of Shame-worthy.
Old 07-10-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Who would have heard of Billy Vera and the Beaters without the show?
Who's really heard of them SINCE?
Old 07-10-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, he did do that fucking god awful intro song for the King of Queens.
Old 07-10-08, 05:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
the lyrics were there!!!

ummm...you are not correct in what you heard. not correct at all!

i saw these two eps. on WGN America myself and couldn't believe i had found the listing prior to see these were on. i could have done without all the Casey Kasem interludes though.

these are probably my two greatest episodes of tv ever. i sat there as mesmerized as i was the first time i saw this on tv when they originally aired. it made me fall in love with "At This Moment" and i emoted feelings very strong then and when i heard it again after all these years now. the love was so palpable and real and Tracey and Michael continue to go strong 20 years later. made me like Billy and loved his cameos in Beverly Hills 90210 as well.

the lyrics and Billy Vera were absolutely in these episodes!! in full glory and as emotionally impacting as ever.

i was so happy and dl'd the song to my iPod right after!!

really have no idea what you saw and heard Xbox.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-10-08 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-11-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Someone should watch this in three weeks and let us know for sure
Old 07-12-08, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Well, he did do that fucking god awful intro song for the King of Queens.

I like that intro song.
Old 07-12-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that we need a less biased opinion.

Personally though, I like the intro as well. I love the KOQ, and never got sick of the intro. As for ATM, I have to admit that everytime it is on the radio, I've got to listen to it, and it always reminds me of the Family Ties episode.
Old 07-12-08, 11:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
I like that intro song.
Well shit man, it is your show!