DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Wipeout----Series Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/534240-wipeout-series-discussion-thread.html)

DJariya 06-24-08 10:59 AM

Wipeout----Series Discussion Thread

John Anderson and John Henson host this show, which features 24 contestants competing on an extreme obstacle course for a $50,000 prize. Contestants in the opener include a deputy sheriff, a pastor, a go-go dancer, a masseuse, a waitress, a car-show model, a credit manager and a handyman. Obstacles featured: Dizzy Dummy, Big Balls, Sucker Punch, Topple Towers and Killer Surf.

The promos look kind of fun. I'm actually looking forward to this. Jill Wagner aka Mercury Girl is also one of the co-hosts.

Who here is also checking this out?

Big Boy Laroux 06-24-08 02:11 PM

looks like a full-out american version of MXC (yes, I know MXC is american, but i can't say i know the name of the Japanese show footage it uses). i think it looks like fun, i'll at least check out the first episode.

devilshalo 06-24-08 02:13 PM

Takeshi's Castle. This looks like a cross between Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) and MXC.

So, since we're all tapped out of stealing reality tv from Europe, we're stealing Japanese game shows now?

Big Boy Laroux 06-24-08 02:19 PM

doesn't ABC also have a new show called "i survived a japnese game show"? or is that another network?

LaxBandit 06-24-08 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
doesn't ABC also have a new show called "I survived a Japanese game show"? or is that another network?

Thats on ABC too - it also premieres tonight - after Wipeout - from 9:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET.

LB...

rw2516 06-24-08 03:21 PM

When I read the title Wipeout the first thing that came to mind was a Hawaiian cop/detective show.

RichC2 06-24-08 03:32 PM

I was thinking scifi racing with weapons myself.

That said yeah, ABC has this show and I Survived a Japanese Game Show, and another one (I think a US remake of Endurance) set for this fall.

dadaluholla 06-24-08 07:14 PM

Well I lasted 7 minutes before I started looking for something else to watch. Maybe I'm just too used to Ninja Warrior and MXC, but Wipeout is just freaking dull.

Axeramm 06-24-08 07:20 PM

This is the funniest new show this year. I just wish we could see it unedited.

Howiefan 06-24-08 07:53 PM

This show is freaking awesome.

pridesticks06 06-24-08 08:43 PM

It was a better replica of that of MXC than I expected. Some funny parts, and the commentary was not too bad. MXC is still better though.

clemente 06-24-08 09:24 PM

I'm 15 minutes in and loving it....another gameshow (coughAmericanGladiatorscough) would have given us the backstory on each contestant in the 1st round with more camera angles than necessary.

And the announcers while not live, are at least amusing.

And Jill Wagner never hurts.

B.A. 06-24-08 09:39 PM

Jill Wagner is awesome.

I caught about half of it - and it made me laugh.

I'll tune in next week.

Snowmaker 06-24-08 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
MXC is still better though.

Oh God yeah!

This was OK. I may have tuned out sooner if not for the go-go dancer and:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...r-08120606.jpg

cdollaz 06-24-08 09:51 PM

Horrible. Commentary jokes were lame. Kinda weak to make a course no one can even complete, with the balls and the punch-out.

The Eliminator, or whatever the hell it was called (the final course), was the easiest of them all.

The dancer in the finals needs to work on her makeup. She looked like a fucking whore.

Also, take a drink every time the commentators make a "big balls" sexual innuendo.

dolphinboy 06-24-08 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Horrible. Commentary jokes were lame. Kinda weak to make a course no one can even complete, with the balls and the punch-out.

The Eliminator, or whatever the hell it was called (the final course), was the easiest of them all.

The dancer in the finals needs to work on her makeup. She looked like a fucking whore.

Also, take a drink every time the commentators make a "big balls" sexual innuendo.

Totally agree. Thought everything about it was just terrible and I actually thought it was going to be entertaining from watching the previews.

SteveOVig 06-24-08 11:27 PM

It's not as corny or as scripted as AG, which can't be a bad thing. Of course, this doesn't have Crush, which is a benefit to AG! Still, it's a fun little show and so far, I enjoy it more than AG this season.

Boondock Saint 06-25-08 02:37 AM

Funnier than I expected it to be.

shanester 06-25-08 06:21 AM

I thaught it was fun and I actually liked the lame jokes :D

mdc3000 06-25-08 08:48 AM

Not great as a whole but when that out of shape black woman was sliding down the rope platform to "I think she looks a little tired, John", I laughed my ass off.

DJariya 06-25-08 08:57 AM

I actually really enjoyed this. For a game show, I thought it was a pretty entertaining. Although the scripted commentary did get kind of annoying after awhile.

I was laughing my ass off at the chubby black chick and the 56-year old woman who struggled to finish the course.

DJariya 06-25-08 09:03 AM

I did like Jill Wagner as the sideline reporter. I'm glad she was able to get a steady gig for the summer.

I thought it was funny that John Anderson and John Henson were trying to pass off that they were actually at a booth on the course when it was so obvious that they were standing in front of a green screen.

Burgundy LaRue 06-25-08 09:05 AM

It's pretty good. The course seems a bit too hard, but as Jill Wagner put it so well regarding folks bouncing off the red balls: "That will never not be funny." It's a silly show, but it owns up to that. I'll watch it again. As clemente mentioned, the fast pace of the show really helps.

wishbone 06-25-08 09:40 AM

Not a bad summer diversion and having Jill onboard made it a better show.

I am so glad they showed go-go dancer's torn nail... twice. Ouch...

cdollaz 06-25-08 09:56 AM

The only thing I remember about the girl who was interviewing the contestants was when she started screaming "you represent girl, you represent girl" at one of the contestants. At that moment I knew this show was not for me.