Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wipeout----Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
The course seems a bit too hard, but as Jill Wagner put it so well regarding folks bouncing off the red balls: "That will never not be funny."
Especially when the contestants do a double bounce or triple bounce! MXC is definitely better, but this show had some good (but predictable) one-liners.

What I found really funny was that I think Jill was told to be encouraging to the horrendously bad contestants since it otherwise would have looked wrong in her role as "sideline reporter" role, but she could barely keep a straight face.

Last edited by Barings; 06-25-08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
This show is horrible.

I love it.

And yeah, Jill laughed at a lot of contestants. I'm actually amazed this is on TV, there is no way they go an entire season without a serious injury. I always said MXC wouldn't make it in the US for that reason.
Old 06-29-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The premiere episode will be repeated this evening on ABC from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

LB...
Old 06-30-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Is this show as close to MXC as the commercials make it look? Basically, I'm asking if they have the "funny" commentary, because I get rather bored with it after a few minutes.

If not, it looks like a pretty fun show.
Old 07-03-08, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a heads up, the ratings for the 2nd episode dropped very little, so it looks like ABC has a hit on their hands.

Chris
Old 07-03-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
I really liked the 2nd episode. The giant bouncing balls obstacle never gets old. Although, I really didn't care for the "Dreadmill." I thought that was a rather weak obstacle. The tennis balls did nothing for it. I think ping pong balls would have worked better. This is turning out to be a very fun summer series.
Old 07-03-08, 03:04 PM
ATX

i dig obstacle courses

those red balls are awesome and would be great for a back yard

watching people bust they ass never gets old
Old 07-03-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love this show. I sit in front of the TV, and just laugh for the full hour. My wife actually watches the show just to laugh at me laughing at it.
Old 07-04-08, 06:54 AM
Cool New Member

the balls are comedy gold
and the difficulty is pretty high, and thats why its good.
most past american shows were too soft. they always felt too soft...to safe, nerfed down by health and safety regs.
Old 07-04-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They need to switch to golf balls for the Dreadmill.

D
Old 07-04-08, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich
They need to switch to golf balls for the Dreadmill.

D
What about those small metal balls?

Chris
Old 07-04-08, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by terisma
and the difficulty is pretty high, and thats why its good.
I'd be happy if the difficulty was high, but the difficulty is impossible. No one is ever going to be able to do the dreadmill at 15 mph. Being able to get across the red balls is nearly impossible too, especially once it gets coated in the mud from the previous contestants.

I assume there is some sort of minimum effort that is required in being on the show. As the smartest move to go for best time would be to just jump into the mud, avoiding the wall of punching bags, and then take a running dive into the water, avoiding the red balls.

But that being said, watching people bail on impossible challenges is still really funny.
Old 07-04-08, 04:26 PM
Cool New Member

heh i don't think its quite impossible, just not easy. some seem like 1 out of 50 type tests. like the balls, no ones beaten that one yet, but one person got to the last one. the rope swing, 2 made it.
Old 07-04-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hardcore
I assume there is some sort of minimum effort that is required in being on the show. As the smartest move to go for best time would be to just jump into the mud, avoiding the wall of punching bags, and then take a running dive into the water, avoiding the red balls.
Judging from what I've seen, falling in the mud really is a hinderance - its almost waist deep and requires a bit of effort to get out of. Plus getting up the ramp to the balls with muddy feet can also be a challenge.

Getting across the course clean does seem impossible....and thats okay - the show is called Wipeout.
Old 07-05-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe it's just me, but it seems like the biggest problem people have with the red balls, is that they stop. i would think that if you can plant your foot on top and keep your momentum going that you would have a much better chance of success.
Old 07-05-08, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by kevin75
maybe it's just me, but it seems like the biggest problem people have with the red balls, is that they stop. i would think that if you can plant your foot on top and keep your momentum going that you would have a much better chance of success.
Like one of those women in last weeks competition. She made it across all of the balls only to not have enough enertia to make it to the platform. I wonder if we will ever see anyone make it across successfully?

Chris
Old 07-05-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not like this is American Gladiators, and they only take people in fantastic shape. Some of these people look like they have never exercised, so of course they are going to be awful on the course. Those athletic competitors definitely seem to do better, as would be expected.
Old 07-05-08, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
It's not like this is American Gladiators, and they only take people in fantastic shape. Some of these people look like they have never exercised, so of course they are going to be awful on the course. Those young athletic competitors definitely seem to do better, as would be expected.
Fixed!

Chris
Old 07-05-08, 05:45 PM

I think it's pretty hilarious. Yes the commentary is corny, what would you expect from a show like this though?
Old 07-09-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just saw this for the first time last night. It's my new favorite show.
Old 07-09-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
In Episode 3, Ariel Tweto from Alaska became the first contestent to complete the big balls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_%28TV_series%29

I had wondered if a leap frog technique was the way to traverse the Big Balls leg of the qualifying run -- Ariel proved me right.

Since you do not get penalized for not completing an obstacle it would make sense to hit the obstacle and fall quickly into the water or mud like Sucker Punch or Big Balls for a better qualifying time.
Old 07-09-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbon3

Since you do not get penalized for not completing an obstacle it would make sense to hit the obstacle and fall quickly into the water or mud like Sucker Punch or Big Balls for a better qualifying time.

That's what I was thinking last night. It would have been quicker for her to just fall and swim. Same with all the time she wasted looking for the vault pole that was right in front of her face.
Old 07-09-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don't think falling in the mud or water would really speed you up unless you're really slow, and then you'd probably be a slow swimmer anyway. You hit the water all disoriented and then have to figure out the fastest most direct way to your destination, plus you feel like you're wasting time. The mud is usually pretty deep too, plus it'll slow you down in the next obstacle.
Old 07-09-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Who knows, show is still pretty entertaining, hope they switch up the initial course a little more.

"Law Schools, the guy in the back is applying for admission" cracked me up. It apparently scored around 12m viewers last night, kind of funny that NBC finally gets a hit show and it's MXC America.
Old 07-10-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The episode was pretty good, but the 2 John's were going way overboard with the "Never been kissed" and "Ridiculously Good Looking" commentary.

I was surprised to see Ariel make it across the bouncing balls. I'm surprised that noone has thought about using that strategy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.