Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here watched Elite XC (MMA) on CBS Sat Nite ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-02-08, 06:49 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm posting here and not on the Sports forum because this was the first time MMA has been on primetime network television and i'm wondering how many viewers who are not usually Mixed martial arts fans flicked over to check it out ?
Old 06-02-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Already being discussed in the MMA thread in Sports. The ratings weren't spectacular, so it didn't seem to draw in a ton of casual or new fans.
Old 06-02-08, 07:18 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
I watched the last three "fights".

Those last two bouts were seemed more 'scripted' than anything I've seen in wrestling lately.

I won't be watching again... unless I'm extremely bored.

BTW, that ear poppin' hit was gross.
Old 06-02-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea, pretty weak "main event". It was so obvious they told the ref that unless Kimbo dies to keep the fight going. 23 uncontested elbows to the head? I'm pretty sure that counts as an inability to defend yourself. Whatever. Give Kimbo a rematch with this guy, because anyone else of UFC caliber would whoop his ass.
Old 06-02-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
The ratings weren't spectacular, so it didn't seem to draw in a ton of casual or new fans.
CBS: Second EliteXC Event Likely for Late Summer/Fall

A second EliteXC event is looking probable for CBS after a strong debut on broadcast television, says the network's Primetime Senior Executive Vice President Kelly Kahl.

Preliminary ratings data for CBS's Saturday Night Fights featuring EliteXC were released by Showtime on Sunday, and the numbers were promising. (CBS and Showtime, which also broadcasts EliteXC and ShoXC on its pay premium cable channel, are both owned by Viacom.)

EliteXC "Primetime" scored a 2.7 rating in its 9-11 p.m. slot, with data still pending for the card's Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson-James Thompson (Pictures) main event, after the show ran one hour past its scheduled slot.

According to a Showtime press release, CBS enjoyed first place ratings in adults 25-54 (1.9), adults 18-49 (1.9), adults 18-34 (1.9), men 25-54 (2.6), men 18-49 (2.5) and men 18-34 (2.6).

The network also saw substantial gains in the Saturday primetime slot with the coveted young male demographics, including a 127% rise in men 18-49 and a whopping +271% jump in men 18-34.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13004

<hr>

It was on at the bar I was at on Saturday. It wasn't a sports bar so people weren't really paying attention. The people I was with weren't MMA fans so I had to explain that it starts out with punches and kicks and eventually just devolves with the the two guys down on the ground, grappling each other.
Old 06-02-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

There were already 4 planned for this year. I think regardless of ratings they were going to show them.
Old 06-03-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I watched the last three "fights".

Those last two bouts were seemed more 'scripted' than anything I've seen in wrestling lately.

I won't be watching again... unless I'm extremely bored.

BTW, that ear poppin' hit was gross.
blame the state athtletic board on that one. If you can find a replay airing, watch the wec card, and get back to us. And the fact that the network wanted to protect Kimbo, by giving a guy that he should have knocked out in 30 seconds. Also, they should have stopped the fight in the second.
Old 06-03-08, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were already 4 planned for this year. I think regardless of ratings they were going to show them.
NOTHING happens regardless of ratings. Considering the abysmal card and weak promotion of the event, the ratings have to be considered a success.
Old 06-03-08, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
A Wii kinda thing happened to me.

I'm NOT a sports fan but I watched because I had seen Kimbo's "streetfight" vids online way back when. Also, thanks to another message board, I was recently introduced to that Girl Fighter(Dark haired girl?) so I was interested in seeing her. I was texting a female friend while watching the show and we both agreed that the Girl match was the best.

I guess it became pretty clear the Kimbo has a lot work to do to step up his game. Fighting in Ghetto Backyards is one thing, this is a whole 'nother level of fight.
Old 06-03-08, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
A Wii kinda thing happened to me.

I'm NOT a sports fan but I watched because I had seen Kimbo's "streetfight" vids online way back when. Also, thanks to another message board, I was recently introduced to that Girl Fighter(Dark haired girl?) so I was interested in seeing her. I was texting a female friend while watching the show and we both agreed that the Girl match was the best.

I guess it became pretty clear the Kimbo has a lot work to do to step up his game. Fighting in Ghetto Backyards is one thing, this is a whole 'nother level of fight.
Gina Carano. I read to that she was almost 5 pounds over weight (she was 144.5 and the fight was supposed to be at 140) and the girl she was fighting was 135 pounds. There was mention in the other thread that Young was given the ok to contine in round 3 but the state athletic commision stopped the fight.
Old 06-03-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Gina Carano. I read to that she was almost 5 pounds over weight (she was 144.5 and the fight was supposed to be at 140) and the girl she was fighting was 135 pounds. There was mention in the other thread that Young was given the ok to contine in round 3 but the state athletic commision stopped the fight.
Yeah Gina Carano. Thanks. Like I said, to me that was the best match.
Old 06-03-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I don't get, is that CBS/Elite XC is trying to go the XFL route which worked so well and this was a steaming pile. I used to think any free MMA was great, but outside of the Carano fight (which in itself was BS because no fighter should ever come in overweight) it was terrible, and actually hurts MMA. Say what you want about the UFC (have my own issues with them), but they do a pretty good damn job with their productions and is clear why they are still on top. Until we can get a decent enough competitor that knows what they are doing, we are forced to live with the UFC as the top dog. WEC is great, but of course they are the UFC as well.
Old 06-03-08, 07:43 AM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah Gina Carano. Thanks. Like I said, to me that was the best match.
Funny thing is... she's Crush on American Gladiators:

Old 06-03-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no idea she was Crush.
Old 06-03-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I knew she was, only reason i watched. I'm officially in love. Zero makeup on and she still looked incredibly hot. Plus she kicked ass. I'll be watching all her fights from now on.
Old 06-03-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wewantflair
NOTHING happens regardless of ratings. Considering the abysmal card and weak promotion of the event, the ratings have to be considered a success.
I think it kind of does, though. Think about it. Saturday nights are a graveyard for TV. It wouldn't take much for any new programming on a Saturday night to draw ratings. Furthermore, according to the deal when they announced it, they committed to showing 4 events on CBS. Sure, they could go against that, but why even announce a number at all if they aren't going to show them. They could've just said "here's this event and if it gets good ratings, we'll show more." That's not what they did.
Old 06-03-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know why you're dogging on the ratings, when you look at the numbers posted above:

According to a Showtime press release, CBS enjoyed first place ratings in adults 25-54 (1.9), adults 18-49 (1.9), adults 18-34 (1.9), men 25-54 (2.6), men 18-49 (2.5) and men 18-34 (2.6).
Old 06-03-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm not "dogging" on the ratings. But you'd think with an event as hyped as this was, the ratings would have been higher. Sure, winning the key demos is impressive as you post above, but you aren't taking into account what is on tv on saturday nights. NOTHING. Anything "new" pretty much wins the night.
Old 06-03-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't catch this one, but from the descriptions here, it seems a bit off the usual standards. I did enjoy the WEC Faber vs Pulver fight. That was pretty sweet.
Old 06-03-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm not "dogging" on the ratings. But you'd think with an event as hyped as this was, the ratings would have been higher. Sure, winning the key demos is impressive as you post above, but you aren't taking into account what is on tv on saturday nights. NOTHING. Anything "new" pretty much wins the night.
There's nothing on because nobody watches network TV on Saturday.

That said, I didn't see a single advertisement for this, the only reason I watched was because I was online at the time.
Old 06-03-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

You didn't see a single advertisement for this? Do you not watch CBS at all? There was at least one promo a night on most of their shows.
Old 06-03-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
These days, I tend to speed through so many commercials that such advertising doesn't have an impact on me much. It's only if the advertising invades the programming itself (like what Fox and the CW does, insert advertising of shows within other shows).
Old 06-03-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
You didn't see a single advertisement for this? Do you not watch CBS at all? There was at least one promo a night on most of their shows.
Everything is in re-run right now.

And I'm not a fan of the channel to begin with (Basically, How I Met Your Mother and the occasional Without a Trace, rest of the lineup is pretty awful IMO (of course, it could be my blinding hatred for CSI: Miami (with the other two CSIs not far ahead) and Two and a Half Men. Though Cold Case and Criminal Minds are also pretty bad))

So no, haven't seen a single ad.

Originally Posted by Patman
These days, I tend to speed through so many commercials that such advertising doesn't have an impact on me much. It's only if the advertising invades the programming itself (like what Fox and the CW does, insert advertising of shows within other shows).
Or those annoying ass TBS ads where they freeze the show you're watching and have the little ad on the bottom whore out its show, then unfreeze the show for 2 seconds of footage and a cut to commercial.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-03-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watch all the MMA I can. It was a pretty horrible show overall. They pretty much compromised their product for just to get it on network television. None of those fights get stopped on PPV or cable. Well unless the fix really was in. I wouldnt be suprised the ratings for their next show are half of what this one got.
Old 06-03-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
Everything is in re-run right now.

And I'm not a fan of the channel to begin with (Basically, How I Met Your Mother and the occasional Without a Trace, rest of the lineup is pretty awful IMO (of course, it could be my blinding hatred for CSI: Miami (with the other two CSIs not far ahead) and Two and a Half Men. Though Cold Case and Criminal Minds are also pretty bad))

So no, haven't seen a single ad.

Or those annoying ass TBS ads where they freeze the show you're watching and have the little ad on the bottom whore out its show, then unfreeze the show for 2 seconds of footage and a cut to commercial.

They advertised this on the Superbowl. And at least once a week in primetime since then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.