Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

LOST -- "There's No Place Like Home Pts. 2 & 3" -- 05.29.2008

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

LOST -- "There's No Place Like Home Pts. 2 & 3" -- 05.29.2008

Old 05-31-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jin is dead. If he somehow isn't, then I predict Season 5 will open with showing him flying in blue tights with a red cape.
Old 05-31-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Does the island heal permanently, or only while you're on it?
I believe it's been pretty strongly implied that the island's beneficial properties only apply on-island. I always thought that that was one of the main reasons that Locke never wanted to leave. Which also implies that the only way you would get Locke off that island is to force him off.

Of the O6, who would and wouldn't want to go back?
I think the ladies would be the big stumbling block. Kate is adamant that she's going to keep Aaron off the island, and Sun seems to be obsessed with settling scores with her father.

Last edited by Flave; 05-31-08 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Did anyone realize that while this season addressed Wimore and his merc team, they never bothered to explain the purpose of the science team being there? As a matter of fact, it seems the members of the science team actually helped the losties more than anything. Kinda counterproductive sending them there?
I think it was pretty obvious that the science team was there to support and advise the mercs. And Faraday was the only one who really tried to help the Losties. The other two had their own agenda.
Old 05-31-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
Both the satphone and the monitor must have some very exotic technology to allow them to communicate with the outside world.
Communicating with the ship also involved a time differential but the ship might've travelled close enough to the island to reduce the effect.
Old 05-31-08, 06:36 PM

And then there's Jeremy Bentham/John Locke. Didn't that newspaper article say that he committed suicide? Could it be that when Locke left the island (FORCED off the island?), he became paralyzed again, couldn't convince the O6 to return (and bring him with them) and decided to end it all?
I'm guessing someone killed him and made his death look like a suicide. And apparently, the island doesn't keep him alive the way it did Michael.
Old 05-31-08, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Did anyone realize that while this season addressed Wimore and his merc team, they never bothered to explain the purpose of the science team being there?
They were sent to shut down the poison gas at the Tempest station although Miles and Charlotte don't seem particularly suited for the task. And Faraday was able to determine the correct heading to travel to/from the island.
Old 05-31-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mnementh
They were sent to shut down the poison gas at the Tempest station although Miles and Charlotte don't seem particularly suited for the task. And Faraday was able to determine the correct heading to travel to/from the island.
I don't think that sums up Naomi's team at all. All they really needed was Faraday to shut down the Tempest station controls. It would make more sense to send him in with some of the mercs in the first place.
Old 05-31-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was pretty obvious that the science team was there to support and advise the mercs. And Faraday was the only one who really tried to help the Losties. The other two had their own agenda.
There has to be more to it than that. Naomi was upset about the choices for her team, yet Abbaden insisted they be the ones to go. They went out of their way to even pick the original 815 pilot!
Old 05-31-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by firteen88
I just had a thought about this. When Ben turned the Donkey wheel, everything turned white just like when desmond turned the key at the end of season 2. Do you think that when Desmond turned the key the island moved as well? It would make sense.
I would say that's probably not the case. The explosion at the end of season 2 had to do with the electromagnetic properties of the island, not moving it. From a plot perspective, turning the key is what allowed Penny's people to pinpoint the island's location. Plus, a couple of different characters described that event as the sky turning purple, not white.
Old 05-31-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by saoirse
Could it be that Locke may be still alive and this deceased lookalike/clone was what was in the coffin?
Banned.
Old 05-31-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And then there's Jeremy Bentham/John Locke. Didn't that newspaper article say that he committed suicide? Could it be that when Locke left the island (FORCED off the island?), he became paralyzed again, couldn't convince the O6 to return (and bring him with them) and decided to end it all?
That's a great connection about the paralysis and possible suicide. Didn't think of that.

Also, glad to see that some of your theories from way early this season, which many people dismissed as too far-fetched, have been proven true (or at least very perceptive about where things were going).
Old 05-31-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sun blamed 2 people for Jin's "death" - her dad and maybe Jack (though Keamy or even Widmore are the real guilty party). But it seems she doesn't blame Widmore, so it looks like she might be the main holdup going forward.
I'm thinking that the other person Sun blames for Jin's death is Ben. Ben killed Keamy without caring who else died ("So?"), freighter blew up. That's why she's approaching Widmore and suggesting they have "common interests."

Of course, it's possible that Sun may not know what Ben did, but it's also possible that she does.
Old 05-31-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Jin is dead. If he somehow isn't, then I predict Season 5 will open with showing him flying in blue tights with a red cape.

Did you see the plane crash all these characters survived in Season 1?

Pulling back to the aerial shot is an intentional device to make it ambiguous as to whether he escaped.
Old 05-31-08, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I'm thinking that the other person Sun blames for Jin's death is Ben. Ben killed Keamy without caring who else died ("So?"), freighter blew up. That's why she's approaching Widmore and suggesting they have "common interests."

Of course, it's possible that Sun may not know what Ben did, but it's also possible that she does.
How WOULD she know? Jeremy Bentham?
Old 05-31-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Michael is dead.
-Jin is alive.
-Sayid is a badass.
-Desmond still rules.
Overall, a superb finale to an excellent season.
Old 06-01-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Did you see the plane crash all these characters survived in Season 1?

Pulling back to the aerial shot is an intentional device to make it ambiguous as to whether he escaped.
It surely wasn't to so off the cgi!
Old 06-01-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i guess i think the show keeps getting better and better, because i would rank 'em:

season 4
season 3
season 2
season 1

it may be because i didn't see season 1 until the following summer on dvd and the others i have watched over the broadcast season...

plus a special shout out to the season 3 finale...simply the most engaging, mesmerizing two hours of television i have ever had the pleasure of watching !!!!
Old 06-01-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by mnementh
They each have special skills and knowledge that relates to specific things about the island:

Daniel is a physicist who specializes in time travel. (The island has been shown to exhibit certain space/time anomalies.)

Charlotte is a archaeologist with knowledge of DHARMA. (DHARMA has/had a presence on the island, and the statue from S2 and the Black Rock would indicate the island has an interesting past.)

Miles is a psychic who can speak with ghosts. (The island is crazy with ghosts/dead people.)
Old 06-01-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would say that's probably not the case. The explosion at the end of season 2 had to do with the electromagnetic properties of the island, not moving it. From a plot perspective, turning the key is what allowed Penny's people to pinpoint the island's location. Plus, a couple of different characters described that event as the sky turning purple, not white.
I know Penny mentioned that she has a station in this year's finale but I'm holding out hope that the Arctic Station from the season 2 cliff-hanger is actually them finding the island after discovering that they have to go BACK to it. That she was helping them find there way back there and this is where is begins to turn towards the return of Jack and everyone else.
Old 06-01-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard and believe that there are two different factions besides the Others who are vying for control on the island...makes sense to me, considering there are 'good' ghosts who try to help the losties (ie - Christian, in some scenes) and then there are 'bad' entities like Smokey, who take on the appearance of ghosts (ie - Yumi) but are really out to kick your ass/kill you.

I think we'll learn more about this, as well.
Old 06-01-08, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Deleted scene from "The Economist." Miles is an interesting SOB.

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2008/05/...ted-scene.html
Old 06-01-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If she does, I assume Locke would've been the one to tell her, in which case he probably also would've told her that Jin is alive (assuming they meet up again on the island over the course of 3 years).
Old 06-01-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deleted scene from "The Economist." Miles is an interesting SOB.

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2008/05/...ted-scene.html
Interesting, yes. SOB, no.

And that is a deleted scene? I could have sworn I remember seeing that in the episode, unless I saw that scene online after watching the episode and just connected it with the full episode in my memory.

It's very clear Miles knows far, far more about the island than he's letting on...and apparently if you listen close enough you can tell if those pylons are on. They must emit a high frequency. He seems to have knowledge either the others would have or maybe somebody from the Dahrma initiative that escaped the purge. Any kids named Miles in Ben's flash back episode?
Old 06-01-08, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
And that is a deleted scene? I could have sworn I remember seeing that in the episode, unless I saw that scene online after watching the episode and just connected it with the full episode in my memory.
I thought I had seen it too, but I think there's just a few extra seconds in there or something - like when he's mouthing some words.
Old 06-01-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the scene with Ben and Jack in the funeral parlor, didn't Jack refer to Sun blaming him for Jin's death?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.