Reload this Page >

LOST -- "There's No Place Like Home Pts. 2 & 3" -- 05.29.2008

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

LOST -- "There's No Place Like Home Pts. 2 & 3" -- 05.29.2008

Old 05-30-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Charlotte = Annie (Bens young girl friend)
Man, I was wondering the exact same thing. Did Annie survive Ben killing off everybody else?
Old 05-30-08, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's Sawyer's whisper to Kate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5W2-dvSzKk

I thought that this sounded added in, but I checked it on ABC.com and it's the same.

Another thing, the funeral parlor:

Hoffs/Drawlar = anagram for Flashforward!
Old 05-30-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think Charlotte is Annie. Charlotte and Ben met face to face after Locke's faction found her. They certainly didn't seem to recognize each other as former lovers.
Old 05-30-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FatTony

I just read that TV Guide interview with Harold Perrineau. I especially found this point interesting:

"Listen, if I'm being really candid, there are all these questions about how they respond to black people on the show. Sayid gets to meet Nadia again, and Desmond and Penny hook up again, but a little black boy and his father hooking up, that wasn't interesting? Instead, Walt just winds up being another fatherless child. It plays into a really big, weird stereotype and, being a black person myself, that wasn't so interesting."

This show seems to have a penchant for killing off black characters: Michael, Eko, Naomi, Ms. Klugh. Only Walt and Rose remain, and it seems unlikely that they'll play key roles from this point forward. I'm not trying to make any sweeping statements about the show or its creators, I just find it a bit odd.

EDIT: Oops, forgot about Abaddon. Hopefully he gets more screen time in the remaining episodes (and for the actor's sake, I hope he doesn't get a DUI).
That's silly. Tons of people have died on this show. Not just black people. As far as the fatherless child comment, what about Aaron? He's fatherless and motherless now and as far as I can tell he's the palest, whitest thing on the show. Also why is Harold comparing Michael and Walt's relationship to Sayid and Nadia's or Desmond and Penny's? Maybe that needs a little more exploring. If the writers were racist I really don't see why Michael would have been one of the more important characters of seasons 1&2.
Old 05-30-08, 06:51 PM

Ok, so it was a really entertaining episode BUT so many things that pissed me off:

1) Keamy is dead, oh wait no he is not, LOL - Can you say cliche?! Who really thought he was dead? Tell me the truth now.

2) C4 on the boat - Ok, so this is something that know one has brought up yet. How they hell did Keamy know Desmond\Sayid was going to try to resuce everyone and move them to the boat? He had to have planned that well before they got to the island which is hell of a bit of forsight, even by Lost standards.

3) The MP3 Bomb Transmitter with more bars then anyone else - WTF?! How the hell could that signal still be strong enough WAY down underground? And how many miles was the boat offshore?

Everything else I can buy (yes even the frozen donkey wheel) but these things were just lazy writing.
Old 05-30-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thebunk
C4 on the boat - Ok, so this is something that know one has brought up yet. How they hell did Keamy know Desmond\Sayid was going to try to resuce everyone and move them to the boat? He had to have planned that well before they got to the island which is hell of a bit of forsight, even by Lost standards.
I don't think he intended to use the c4 to blow up the plane crash survivors. I think the C4 was put there to keep the freighter people in line.
Old 05-30-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
That's silly. Tons of people have died on this show. Not just black people. As far as the fatherless child comment, what about Aaron? He's fatherless and motherless now and as far as I can tell he's the palest, whitest thing on the show. Also why is Harold comparing Michael and Walt's relationship to Sayid and Nadia's or Desmond and Penny's? Maybe that needs a little more exploring. If the writers were racist I really don't see why Michael would have been one of the more important characters of seasons 1&2.
I just want to say that I was expecting a reaction similar to this, and that's why I said "I'm not trying to make any sweeping statements about the show or its creators." I just thought it was interesting that more than half of the major black characters have been killed off, and even more interesting is the fact that one of those actors took notice and even said something about it in an interview. One could just as easily say that the creators have a penchant for killing Hispanic characters (both Paulo and Ana-Lucia are dead, and as far as I can remember, there aren't any other Latinos/Latinas on the island).

Bottom line, LOST still gets points for being one of the most culturally diverse shows I think I've ever seen. I wasn't trying to say that the writers/producers are maliciously racist.

Side note: I have to take issue with the idea that Aaron is motherless. He has a maternal figure in his life, and in all likelihood Kate hasn't told him she's not his real mother (since it's part of the coverup and all). Beyond that, Walt is also not motherless IMO. To go off on a further tangent, maybe the fact that Walt, Aaron, and Ji Yeon don't have fathers is a continuation of the idea that every character on this show has to have daddy issues.

Last edited by FatTony; 05-30-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-30-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thebunk
Ok, so it was a really entertaining episode BUT so many things that pissed me off:

1) Keamy is dead, oh wait no he is not, LOL - Can you say cliche?! Who really thought he was dead? Tell me the truth now.

2) C4 on the boat - Ok, so this is something that know one has brought up yet. How they hell did Keamy know Desmond\Sayid was going to try to resuce everyone and move them to the boat? He had to have planned that well before they got to the island which is hell of a bit of forsight, even by Lost standards.

3) The MP3 Bomb Transmitter with more bars then anyone else - WTF?! How the hell could that signal still be strong enough WAY down underground? And how many miles was the boat offshore?

Everything else I can buy (yes even the frozen donkey wheel) but these things were just lazy writing.
1. I won't lie, I fell for it. Although, I'll also admit that I felt like an idiot the instant I saw he was the one that came down the elevator.

2. I got the impression that the C4 was a result of Keamy following the "secondary protocol" that was put in place by Charles Widmore.

3. Yeah, that one was fucking retarded.
Old 05-30-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Wasnt Keamy(sp?) lying on the ground dead when the elevator starting going down to the Orchid? Was he in two places at once? I could have sworn they showed the scene where Ben asks for his weapon back and then showed the scene where Keamy was on the ground.

What is a donkey wheel? Did you guys make up that name or is that actually what that thing is called?
Old 05-30-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchforth
Jin is a pretty important character, actually. He's a series regular, had at least one flashback each season. And there was a death scene for Michael, and none for Jin. Unlike Nikki and Paolo, or even Rousseau and Carl, Jin is a major cast member. Plus, we saw them buried, and we saw Danielle take a bullet.

They showed Michael's death scene. established that Jin on the deck, and then pulled back to an aerial shot of the explosion from the helicopter. He's not clearly dead. It's intentionally ambiguous which means he's probably alive.

Also, Harold Perrinau has been giving interviews about having his character written out of the show, and Daniel Dae Kim has not been. Generally, characters who are written out of "Lost" do an appearance on either a late night show or a morning show afterwards. If Dae Kim is keeping a low profile, it's to avoid being asked if his character is dead.

It's a huge cliche to make it look like someone was in an exploding building or a train that ran off a cliff or something, and then reveal that they got out at the last moment. This is the stuff miraculous TV escapes are made of.

Also, there is no flash forward to Sun that would have taken place after "Jeremy Bentham" started paying his visits, because he would have told her that Jin survived. And the story left Faraday and his raft as a hanging loose end, so they can show up to pluck Jin out of the water at the beginning of the next season.

Also, they had a whole storyline about how Jin is learning English, which allows him to interact with the other characters without needing Sun to translate for him.

Of course, he could easily be dead, but it seems like an afterthought of a way to kill off a major cast member. If Kim moves off of Hawaii in the next few months, then Jin's story is probably over.
Actually, I think that when they showed Sun's flashforward, her mother mentioned that someone wanted to visit with her. Presumably, that was "Jeremy." So when she was meeting with Widmore, she wouldn't necessarily know that Jin was alive at that point.

Reasons for Jin to be alive... he'll be able to tell the people left on the island that Jack, Kate, Sun, Aaron, Hurley, Sayid, Frank, and Desmond didn't die on the freighter. Otherwise, everyone on the island would probably assume that they all died in the explosion.

Jin has been shown to be a good swimmer... he made it back to the island before Sawyer and Michael after the Others torched the raft.

And, with the time warp thing going on, it's quite likely that he was able to swim back to the island before the freighter blew up. Recall, the doctor who as killed and thrown overboard washed up on the shore before Keamy killed him.

And, regarding his learning English, it's been established that Charlotte speaks Korean, so she could help him communicate with others on the island when Sun isn't around.
Old 05-30-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dammit, I hated season two, season three started crappy but got good, and season 4 was fucking great. Hope they keep this up.

My vote for jin is alive, and this is what I think's going to happen.

I'm guessing what's going to happen is since the island is gone daniel is going to go to the boat wreckage and find jin and a few others, since daniel's the only one who can figure out the cordinates to the island, he'll take jin and the survivors back to the island.

Seems pretty obvious of a set up since he was the one who happened to be on the raft, headed to the wreckage, and without him jin would be proper fucked.

I'm pretty much always right, so dont feel bad no one else figured this out.
Old 05-30-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One could just as easily say that the creators have a penchant for killing Hispanic characters (both Paulo and Ana-Lucia are dead, and as far as I can remember, there aren't any other Latinos/Latinas on the island).
Sorry, another vote here for "pretty fucking cheap to play the race card after your character was one of the mains initially."

Uh.......Hugo Reyes? Yeah, dude is totally 100% white.
Old 05-30-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Actually, I think that when they showed Sun's flashforward, her mother mentioned that someone wanted to visit with her. Presumably, that was "Jeremy." So when she was meeting with Widmore, she wouldn't necessarily know that Jin was alive at that point.

Reasons for Jin to be alive... he'll be able to tell the people left on the island that Jack, Kate, Sun, Aaron, Hurley, Sayid, Frank, and Desmond didn't die on the freighter. Otherwise, everyone on the island would probably assume that they all died in the explosion.

Jin has been shown to be a good swimmer... he made it back to the island before Sawyer and Michael after the Others torched the raft.

And, with the time warp thing going on, it's quite likely that he was able to swim back to the island before the freighter blew up. Recall, the doctor who as killed and thrown overboard washed up on the shore before Keamy killed him.

And, regarding his learning English, it's been established that Charlotte speaks Korean, so she could help him communicate with others on the island when Sun isn't around.
I'm just about 100% with you on that reasoning - leaving in a small amount for possible error - but otherwise, I agree.

And let's not forget, Jin knew there was a bomb on the boat that was about to go off at any minute. Once he saw the chopper leave, do you really think he was just go stand around on the boat? Hell no! He jumped, or other wise got off of it. He was also fairly near the edge/end of the boat, so it's entirely possible that the explosion could have blown him clear, and safely off the boat, and out of harm's way, too.
Old 05-30-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good catch.

Well, if Locke gets access to Ben's sources of information, he'll know what's going on off-island.

Yes. That could be S5's payoff to what happened with the doc in the water. Either Jin could swim for it, or Daniel could pick him up and make it back to the island before it moves.

Well, Jin still being around is a good reason for her to know Korean, but it could also just be a point to establish about her before we learn her backstory next season.
Old 05-30-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anyone else want to pull out some hair when the Orchid video didn't finish? For all their financial resources, the Dharma Initiative apparently couldn't afford a better quality VCR.
I suspect the VCR suddenly rewinding is foreshadowing for time travel.
Old 05-30-08, 09:54 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To go off on a further tangent, maybe the fact that Walt, Aaron, and Ji Yeon don't have fathers is a continuation of the idea that every character on this show has to have daddy issues.
I think that's all there is to it. Father issues are obviously a big part of the show. It would be completely out of the blue for Michael and Walt to get a happy reunion and ride off into the sunset.

I don't hate the Michael character like a lot of people, but it seems Perrineau likes to whine more than others whenever the show doesn't go the way he wanted it to.
Old 05-30-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't understand Harold Perrinau's complaint. As far as we have been told, both he and the actor playing Eko had asked to be let go in the first place. Both wanted to do their own thing with Perrinau going to his own show. If actors are going to be wreckless and get DUIs, or ask the writers to change things so their character can leave the show, why point the finger at the writers when they decide to kill that character off.

Sounds like some want to have their cake and eat it to. Pointing at racism seems a little overboard to me.
Old 05-30-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn good point Josh. I hadn;t even thought of it.

As for Charlotte. Perhaps Ben sent a pregnant Annie off the island to have their baby, his real daughter. Perhaps Ben thinks Annie died giving birth. This would explain his obsession with Juliet as well as her work
Old 05-30-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Damn good point Josh. I hadn;t even thought of it.

As for Charlotte. Perhaps Ben sent a pregnant Annie off the island to have their baby, his real daughter. Perhaps Ben thinks Annie died giving birth. This would explain his obsession with Juliet as well as her work
Charlotte being his daughter with Annie makes a lot more sense than Charlotte = Annie, because they don't look the same age at all.
Old 05-30-08, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
Finally, I come to Locke's dead body in the funeral. I saw it coming the entire episode. Plus - thanks for the huge giveaway that it was him once Ben was in the Funeral Room as well. Locke was my favorite character and you have killed him. The character, above all others, I was rooting for.

It's not an Island. It's a place where miracles happen
Old 05-30-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31
What is a donkey wheel? Did you guys make up that name or is that actually what that thing is called?
The donkey wheel looked more like a horse mill. Vertical donkey wheels resemble hamster wheels.
Old 05-31-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
When Keamy was close to death, why didn't Locke quickly move the pulse monitor from Keamy's arm to his own to prevent the freighter from blowing up?

How far off shore was Sawyer after he jumped out the helicopter? He wasn't even tired when he got to the beach.

Anyway, it was a totally awesome season. My favorite show by far this year.

Was Season 2 the season about pushing the button every 108 minutes? That was so frickin' boring and it dragged on for so long I almost quit watching. That season was easily the worst IMHO.
Old 05-31-08, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Uh.......Hugo Reyes? Yeah, dude is totally 100% white.
Haha! I knew I was leaving someone out on that one, it was literally on the tip of my tongue. My bad.
Old 05-31-08, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by zuffy
Anyone think Kate's boob is a bit bigger in this episode?
Just the one, yes definitely.
Old 05-31-08, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm thinking she just ditched the sports bra

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.