DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What TV Drama genre are you tired of seeing green lighted all the time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/532231-what-tv-drama-genre-you-tired-seeing-green-lighted-all-time.html)

DJariya 05-24-08 08:59 PM

What TV Drama genre are you tired of seeing green lighted all the time?

For me it's lawyer and doctor shows. It seems to me with the final season of Boston Legal coming up and the cancellation of Close to Home, Shark, Canterbury's Law and others that the genre may be dying.

mhg83 05-24-08 09:08 PM

I voted other for reality drama shows. Too much of that crap such as Nanny 911 and big brother. I wanna see the battle royale reality show. That I would watch :eyebrow:

Jimmy James 05-25-08 12:16 AM

I also have to go with reality-drama.

Legal dramas like Shark really need to go away, too. L&O is fine, but Shark just went way over the top suggesting the poor prosecutors are the ones outgunned. We need a show about indigent criminal defense for once.

MetalGator311 05-25-08 12:44 AM

Fat guy with a hot wife sitcoms

Rockmjd23 05-25-08 01:13 AM

Any dramas with lame voice-overs from the star and pop songs used to cover up lazy writing.

big whoppa 05-25-08 02:26 AM

Law Enforcement and Doctor shows. Too many CSI and Law and Order for my tastes.

DJariya 05-25-08 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by MetalGator311
Fat guy with a hot wife sitcoms

I said Dramas....not your thoughts on According to Jim and stupid sitcoms.

Double_Oh_7 05-25-08 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Law Enforcement and Doctor shows. Too many CSI and Law and Order for my tastes.

Yep. I have never watched any episode of L&O, in any incarnation. The show is on all the time and I avoid it like the plague.

leacha 05-25-08 11:02 AM

Mine are tied with each other for equal distaste:

Reality & Game Shows

Gizmo 05-25-08 11:38 AM

All those shows on CSI, err, CBS. Do we need 3 freaking CSI shows? How many Law and Orders? It makes me :lol: when people say "That's illegal! I saw it on Law and Order!".

DJariya 05-25-08 01:12 PM

Reality, Sitcoms and Game Shows? I never said all genres. We're going off topic here. I said Dramas. Although there are some shows that could be categorized as Reality-Dramas.

DJariya 05-25-08 01:13 PM

Frankly, I am surprised noone has mentioned the Teen Drama genre.

Jimmy James 05-25-08 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Reality, Sitcoms and Game Shows? I never said all genres. We're going off topic here. I said Dramas. Although there are some shows that could be categorized as Reality-Dramas.

If you ask me, reality is almost exclusively either reality-drama or reality-game show. A show like The Real World or The Hills is reality-drama. A show like Celebrity Fit Club or Flavor of Love is reality-game show. I think reality-drama does fit your poll, and I stand by my answer. :)

Red Dog 05-25-08 04:12 PM

Doctor dramas since I've only ever found a few ever worth watching, and for the exceptions, they usually jump the shark quickly.

Eddie W 05-25-08 04:36 PM

Law Enforcement, Lawyer, and Doctor shows. If I have to deal with any of these three professions in real life, I've had a bad day. There's no reason I'd want to watch them in my leisure time.

Bluelitespecial 05-25-08 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Frankly, I am surprised noone has mentioned the Teen Drama genre.

Its too much of a guilty pleasure for all of us, and I will always be a fan of the genre. But there are way too many doctor shows on tv, and CBS has way too many crime shows on tv.

RichC2 05-25-08 06:24 PM

Law and Order SVU is the only one I can still watch in the Cop Drama genre. That genre needs to be thinned out, so it gets my vote.

JayDerek 05-25-08 07:55 PM

Since I was hooked on 'The Wire' last year - every other police drama (except The Shield) looks like Sesame Street. No one can get it right.

A close second would be the hospital dramas...

big whoppa 05-26-08 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Law Enforcement, Lawyer, and Doctor shows. If I have to deal with any of these three professions in real life, I've had a bad day. There's no reason I'd want to watch them in my leisure time.

Very well put. I feel the same way. I watch TV to escape.