Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - Season 7 Finals! - David v. David - May 20-21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Season 7 American Idol Winner?
David Cook
58.59%
"Giggles" Archuleta
41.41%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing like "Photoshopped Friendship" (see above).

A one-hour showdown tonight (5/20, 8/7c)... and a two-hour finalé tomorrow (5/21, 8/7c).

If they follow tradition, they'll do three songs tonight, and one of them will be the same.

I'm calling it right now: David will win!

David Cook that is!
Old 05-20-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cook deserves to win. Wouldn't be surprised if Archuletta wins but it would further shake my faith in humanity.
Old 05-20-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too close to call, I think. I would prefer Cook to win.
Old 05-20-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will vote for Cook just so Archuletta can get a beating from his father..
Old 05-20-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
I will vote for Cook just so Archuletta can get a beating from his father..
On stage, with any luck.
Old 05-20-08, 09:47 AM

Cook has wider appeal. Archuleta seems to be auditioning for Mormon Idol. "Gosh!"
Old 05-20-08, 01:07 PM

I have mixed feelings about a potential winner. On the one hand, I dislike Archuleta's nasal voice and worry that a win for him will spell disaster down the road. He seems like a nice kid, but he also seems ill prepared for a life in the music business, with the exception of Radio Disney or Christian pop.
On the other hand, Cook has a decent voice and could churn out some songs I'd enjoy listening to. But, would he be able to record the right type of song with an Idol win on his shoulders? I'd hate to have his first album be "A Moment Like This/This is My Now/Do I Make you Proud? crapfest.
Old 05-20-08, 01:41 PM

David Cook has enough of an identity that he can be successful immediately. He fits into the same space as Nickelback/Daughtry/Gavin DeGraw; I can see him being a star from the beginning.

OTOH, Archie is more of a blank slate. 19 Entertainment can mold him into whatever they want. He can be a Jonas Brothers-type singer for a few years before moving into the Josh Groban category as his voice matures.

Rumor has it that the Davids will be able to choose the song of their liking from the Top 20 chosen in that AI-sponsered contest. So it's a draw in that regard.

I say just flip a coin and call for the winner that way.
Old 05-20-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Elmo vs. a Bobblehead Doll.

It doesn't really matter, as seems to happen every season, if they're worth a damn they'll be good to go. Win or not.
Old 05-20-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a one hour show tonight at 7pm and a two-hour results show on Wednesday, also starting at 7pm (CDT).

And on Thursday... So You Think You Can Dance season premiere (7pm).
Old 05-20-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is no way in hell that the producers let Giggles win this thing. They don't want to deal w/ his stage-dad.
Old 05-20-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

spoilers

Spoiler:

Song Spoilers:

Personal song choices

* David Archuleta will reprise “Imagine”
* David Cook will perform a new song, U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”.

If Cookie arranges his song well and sings the hell out of it, it could be the performance of the night. Archie is has already had his moment with this song. Lightening doesn’t often strike twice.
The Davids picked their own coronation song from the 10 most popular songs in the list of 20 that were available for online voting.

* David Archuleta - “Here I Am” rumor, waiting for confirmation - This is a by-the-numbers coronation song. Stick a bunch of typical words and phrases into a software program, and it could spit out this song.
* David Cook - “No Turning Back” rumor, waiting for confirmation - Better than “Here I Am” but still pretty lame, as far as pop rock goes.

Archie probably has the advantage in this round. David can sing the hell out of a big sappy ballad. He’ll be all cute and earnest with his arm-reach thingy as he belts out “Here I am”. Folks who love the big sappy ballads will go nuts. For Cookie, turning a mediocre pop-rock song into a moment is going to be a tall order. Clive Davis chose a song for the Davids. There are rumors swirling about, but there are no clear choices yet.

I’ll be posting info as it becomes available. Caffiend is attending tonight’s dress rehearsal. I should have the complete rundown by 7 pm ET…

More For Wednesday:

* David Cook and Mariah Carey will duet on “Always Be my Baby”
* David Archuleta and Neil Diamond will duet on “America” (this is still a rumor)
* While many of the ex-Idols have been invited back for the finale, many in the Top 24 have not…
* Seal will perform, according to the FOX report.
Old 05-20-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
There is no way in hell that the producers let Giggles win this thing. They don't want to deal w/ his stage-dad.
Won't they sign him to their label anyway?
Old 05-20-08, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Exactly. Winners and runners-up always get signed, at least for one album. So they're going have to deal with Jeff Archuleta one way or another.

Anybody read the latest version of Star? It's got a feature that says in April 2002, Jeff was accused of child molestation by one of his wife's relatives who was staying with them at the time. She claimed that Jeff was abusing both her child and one of his own. Jeff's child and wife denied and the article said it was false (though I suspect this has more to do with not wanting to be sued for slander). Even if it's a lie, it just makes the Archuleta family look creepier by the moment.
Old 05-20-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
they probably have more leverage if Archuleta finishes 2nd. Still, the contracts are fairly strident for the top two or three.
Old 05-20-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some Wednesday stuff:

Spoiler:
Wednesday Finale:

* The So You Think You Can Dance dancers will be performing on Wednesday’s finale
* Two Idols from each of the previous six seasons will come back to perform a group number. Hooray! Bo Bice has already confirmed. Yahoo.
* Carrie Underwood will perform her new single “Last Name”, according to her My Space.
* There’s going to be another “Dead Elvis” video (last year, Celine Dion sang a “duet” with Elvis Presley), this time including several people, per Nigel on KISS.
* The “biggest star” in the world will be there, says Nigel. Robert Downey Jr. perhaps? He’ll be there according to the FOX report. Nigel is probably high enough to think Robert Downey Jr. is a big star.
* Nigel told Ryan this morning that the Top 5 will sing duets with “somebody”. FOX news is reporting (see video after the jump) that “each of the Idols” will be singing with one of the celebrity mentors who appeared during the season. There were four mentors: Mariah Carey, Neil Diamond, Dolly Parton and Andrew Lloyd Webber. If she’s talking about the Top 5 duets, who would be the 5th mentor? Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr? McCartney would fit the “biggest star in the world” description. But, neither Beatle were actually mentors. Or, maybe the FOX reporter is talking about something else entirely?
* Nigel and FOX confirmed a Jonas Brothers appearance.
* Paula Abdul will debut a song from her upcoming album, and the Top 12 will also be performing alongside Paula for a special group number. Who knows. Maybe Pauler got cold feet and changed her mind. Yahoo.
* The band One Republic (responsible for the mega-hit “Apologize”. Ryan Tedder from the band recently wrote for Clay Aiken and Blake Lewis) canceled a gig in order to be available for the finale. Daily Press

http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-...es-imagine.htm
Old 05-20-08, 04:53 PM

Archuleta's dad has basically been grooming his son since birth for this moment. He'll be infuriated if some dude who just decided to audition on a whim steals the spotlight.
Old 05-20-08, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Archuleta's dad has basically been grooming his son since birth for this moment. He'll be infuriated if some dude who just decided to audition on a whim steals the spotlight.
but it's not like Cook is some guy who got off the bus yesterday. He has been singing for a while now according to his interviews. I kind of doubt that audition on a whim thing. It's a good story to tell when you want to appear too cool for AI but really Cook can bring the cheesey just as well as Archuleta.
Old 05-20-08, 06:02 PM

Cook has an independent album, Analog Heart, that was for sale on Amazon for a while. It's since been pulled. It won some local awards in Tulsa. He's no rookie.

*It's sad that I know so much about these contestants.*
Old 05-20-08, 08:59 PM
Cool New Member

Cook Song 1 of 3 - "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbluFVxlySc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbluFVxlySc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Cook Song 2 of 3 - "Dream Big"
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r2wclTjP1fI"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r2wclTjP1fI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Cook Song 3 of 3 - "The World I Know"
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7B2WJwCjznc"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7B2WJwCjznc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Archuleta song 1 of 3 - "Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me"
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iakm5PjExxA"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iakm5PjExxA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Archuleta Song 2 of 3 - "In This Moment"
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePT1Wf8m9es"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePT1Wf8m9es" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Archuleta Song 3 of 3 - "Imagine"
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FcSEw5_PIg"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FcSEw5_PIg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Last edited by popatlaal; 05-20-08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 09:12 PM

David Cook should learn to play the songs without needing to look down at his guitar.
Old 05-20-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Archuleta=ballad after ballad after ballad
Old 05-20-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While "Giggles" did well tonight, I still don't like him.

So here are the s and s for tonight...

The songs that Clive picked for the Davids.
David Cook's "I see this season as a progression" swipe at Archuleta.
ALW's comment that it sounded like Simon write "In This Moment."
Randy thinking this is the battle of 2007.
Ruben Studdard's performance of "Celebrate Me Home"... best of the night!

The "boxing" theme (complete with Michael Buffer intro).
Crappy song writing in the second round (both were stinkers).
Randy pulling out the $#%-&*@^ "you could sing the Phone Book" yet again.
Papa Archuleta's hat.

I have a feeling that Giggles will win, but I can always hope.

Besides if he wins, he might have DOS (Donny Osmond Syndrome).*

* Third paragraph.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-20-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I've ever wanted to beat another human being with a baseball bat more than I did Giggles for his reaction to the praise after the first song.
Old 05-20-08, 09:30 PM

Does anyone else think Simon was especially critical of Cook tonight...almost in order to fuel speculation for the voting or make it closer to inflate tomorrow night's viewership?

I thought Archie sucked, and yet Cook was receiving the entirety of the criticism. I thought he was better in the first AND third round.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.