DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   One Tree Hill---"What Comes After The Blues"---SEASON FINALE---5/19/08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/531839-one-tree-hill-what-comes-after-blues-season-finale-5-19-08-a.html)

DJariya 05-19-08 09:46 AM

One Tree Hill---"What Comes After The Blues"---SEASON FINALE---5/19/08

Hopefully this season ends on a strong note. Overall I would give this season a B- to C+. Not my favorite Tree Hill season, but it had some good moments.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In the fifth-season finale, Brooke must give up her foster baby and Lucas has to deal with what happened on game night. Meanwhile, Haley's music career takes a positive turn and Peyton hears news about someone from her past.

Doughboy 05-19-08 10:07 AM

Hmm, I wonder what that Peyton subplot is about. Could it be the return of a certain character now that October Road was cancelled? One can only hope.

As far as grading this season, I'd give it a generous C-. I think it's better than Seasons 3 and 4, but only marginally. This show takes itself way too seriously. It's never gonna be Friday Night Lights, and it needs to quit trying. I'm not saying go in the direction of 90210 or Melrose Place, but find that happy medium of soap opera and drama.

Ayre 05-19-08 10:16 AM

I would rather have it imitate FNL than the OC. I like the new OTH and would give the season a B-

Remember, this show has a history of great season finales.

Doughboy 05-19-08 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ayre
I would rather have it imitate FNL than the OC.

One problem with that. The cast of OTH is nowhere near as talented as the one on FNL. Just look at Chad Michael Murray's performance after he gets the call from Lindsey last week. It was awful.

Red Dog 05-19-08 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
As far as grading this season, I'd give it a generous C-. I think it's better than Seasons 3 and 4, but only marginally. This show takes itself way too seriously. It's never gonna be Friday Night Lights, and it needs to quit trying. I'm not saying go in the direction of 90210 or Melrose Place, but find that happy medium of soap opera and drama.

I'd give it a D+/C-. I don't think it was better than S3 or S4. Not even close. S2 was the previous worst season IMO. And I've always said that this show is at its weakest when it takes itself so seriously.

Bluelitespecial 05-19-08 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd give it a D+/C-. I don't think it was better than S3 or S4. Not even close. S2 was the previous worst season IMO. And I've always said that this show is at its weakest when it takes itself so seriously.

My seasons ratings

S1-A
S2-C+
S3-B+
S4-B-
S5-C-

The season started out well with great promise, then after the wedding the show has sucked. I don't care about Brooke wanting to adopt, or Lucas's tired love triangles. Hopefully they can finish strong, but I hope next season will be the last for OTH.

bigjim25 05-19-08 09:47 PM

:up: All the old characters coming back this season and now the theme song made an appearance tonight. :D

Patman 05-20-08 12:40 AM

Dan's subplot was really dumb.

Glad to see Jamie and Nathan get their mojo back.

Maybe Lucas got his balls back.

Good to see Mouth give the station a proverbial big fat middle finger on his way out.

Gizmo 05-20-08 01:35 AM

Is October Road dude coming back to Tree Hill?

Red Dog 05-20-08 07:39 AM

Was that a Boston song that they were playing during the middle of the episode? Certainly odd hearing such a song on OTH. Sounded good though.

Good to hear that Nathan went on to star for the Maryland Terps. Gary Williams must have been pleased since he hasn't had an All-American since Juan Dixon. ;)

:lol: at Dan. -rolleyes- at tortured Lucas.

Millie was looking really hot. I certainly hope that Mouth and her aren't going anywhere.

boogieman03 05-20-08 08:21 AM

Well looks like we didn't get the scene that was shown in the previews a few weeks back with Lucas and Peyton hooking up on a bed.

Dan's subplot was really dumb.

Glad to see Jamie and Nathan get their mojo back.

Good to see Mouth give the station a proverbial big fat middle finger on his way out.
Gotta agree.

Patman 05-20-08 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Was that a Boston song that they were playing during the middle of the episode? Certainly odd hearing such a song on OTH. Sounded good though.

Good to hear that Nathan went on to star for the Maryland Terps. Gary Williams must have been pleased since he hasn't had an All-American since Juan Dixon. ;)

Nathan was probably a 2-year player after transfering from the small college that Whitey went on to coach at after their senior year.

That was Boston's "A Man I've Never Be". Too bad their lead singer Brad Delpy is no longer with us.

Gizmo 05-21-08 10:06 AM

Was that mini-basketball CGI in the pool? Looked really fake.

Doughboy 05-22-08 10:05 AM

Weak finale.

Dan's cliffhanger is pointless. He already needs a new heart, so his life's in jeopardy. Why add surviving a car accident to his list of problems?

No sign of Jake returning. That sucked. I didn't quite follow what was going on with Peyton. Was she saying Mia had found someone who knew Ellie?

Lucas's cliffhanger was already revealed in the promos, so that felt like a cheat. It's probably gonna be Brooke he was on the phone with. I'd like it to be Lindsey, but I don't think the writers know what to do with her.

No mention of Rachel. No resolution for the basketball season. No sign of Karen or her Australian boytoy. No sign of Brooke's mom(is she gone for good?).

Overall a very weak season. It started out with some promise thanks to the 4 year leap into the future, but they squandered that with some truly awful storylines(Brooke and the baby being the worst).

boogieman03 05-22-08 10:15 AM

I gotta admit that I enjoyed Dan's car accident...had to rewind it a few times.

rotfl

Doughboy, the way I understood it, somebody Mia met on tour knew Ellie.

Patman 05-22-08 10:23 AM

As soon as Dan was walking backwards away from the old man and into the street, I kept telling myself:

"Wait for it...wait for it....BAM!"

boogieman03 05-22-08 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
As soon as Dan was walking backwards away from the old man and into the street, I kept telling myself:

"Wait for it...wait for it....BAM!"

rotfl

So did I. I've come to recognize that camera angle.

SexualPudding 05-22-08 02:51 PM

It's probably gonna be Brooke he was on the phone with. I'd like it to be Lindsey, but I don't think the writers know what to do with her.

I don't think it will be Brooke. She was actually my leading candidate before I saw the episode, but I think their little scene when Lucas went to the airport put the kibosh on that. It seemed to be put in there just to cement their friends status. I think it will end up being Peyton.

DJariya 05-23-08 03:32 AM

Good Christ! You guys are harsh on season 5. As I said it wasn't the best Tree Hill, but it still had some good moments. Jackson Brundage was a welcome addition to the cast IMO as Jamie. I did like the 4 year jump concept, although they didn't utilize it very well.

The only storyline that I 100% agree with all of you that sucked this season was Brooke at age 22 wanting to adopt a baby. That was so out of character and the fact that she was acting like a single 41 year old woman with her biological clock ticking made the whole thing cringe inducing.

I did like the season finale, although the fucking CW promos ruined the Lucas cliffhanger. My favorite was definitely Nate and Jamie getting their mojo back.

Absolutely loved Bethany Joy's new single "Feel this." Just downloaded it off Itunes. I didn't realize her husband is in the band that originally performed the song.

And even though alot of you are Peyton or Leyton haters, I am still rooting for them to get together at last. I loved their storyline since season 1 and I don't think it's tired at all. I liked Lindsey, but I didn't feel the same chemistry that he had with Peyton. IMO, Hilarie Burton did a good job and I think she was really mature and sexy this season.

Ayre 05-23-08 11:49 AM

Yeah, the finale sucked. It did have some good moments, but overall lacked the impact of previous seasons.

I still think this season was better than others and was the right direction for the show.

The biggest problem with an ensemble show is that once they have slept with each other and broken each others hearts, there really isn't much new ground to explore.

The new characters this season didn't work out, except for Brooke's mom, who was under used and way over the top. Millie works for me, but two innocents together (Millie & Mouth) aren't going to offer much drama.

The bus scene was obvious, but still funny. Deb is still hot. Dan is a great villain as always.

I will be back for the next season.

Original Desmond 05-24-08 04:33 AM

ok finale to an ok season

Gizmo 05-24-08 11:25 AM

Almost all the "new" characters were gone by the end of the 13 episode order (when Dan saves Jaimie). Nanny Carrie, Brooke's Mom, Mouths boss, Lindsey....at least Jaimie and Milly stuck around.

DRG 06-01-08 09:59 PM

Dan's cliffhanger is pointless. He already needs a new heart, so his life's in jeopardy. Why add surviving a car accident to his list of problems?

Because you can't have a season of OTH without some sort of car-related accident!

Season 1 - Keith's truck is hit, injuring Lucas
Season 2 - Nathan crashes a race car
Season 3 - Limo goes off the bridge
Season 4 - Pregnant Haley gets run down by Dante's car

Not to mention Peyton's adopted mom dying in a car crash when she was little.