DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Simpsons *Season Finale* -- "All About Lisa" -- 05/18/08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/531778-simpsons-%2Aseason-finale%2A-all-about-lisa-05-18-08-a.html)

LorenzoL 05-18-08 05:54 AM

The Simpsons *Season Finale* -- "All About Lisa" -- 05/18/08

"All About Lisa"
Spoiler:
Lisa outshines Krusty as his new assistant and steals the spotlight from him, earning her own TV show. Meanwhile, Homer and Bart spend some quality time together with their new coin collecting hobby.

First Aired: Sunday May 18, 2008

slop101 05-19-08 12:31 AM

A rather weak episode after string of really strong ones.

Chew 05-19-08 06:48 AM

This was another one of those times where the Main story suffered due to the B story. It seemed more time was spent on Bart/Homer and we didn't get enough of the story filled in for Lisa.

But, Comic-Book Guy's hair: :lol:

CPA-ESQ. 05-19-08 08:40 AM

I liked this episode. I liked Homer trying to be a good father - instead of a buffoon.

The Lisa story with the narration by side show Mel was a nice twist. I thought it was good writing - instead of the off the wall buffoonery that we were getting for a while.

Pointyskull 05-19-08 08:50 AM

Great Homer line:

"Coin collecting is just like life. It stopped being fun a long time ago."

:lol:

RichC2 05-19-08 08:59 AM

A couple amusing lines. The Lisa plot was just dull.

Sort of a weak conclusion to an okay season.

Ranger 05-19-08 11:58 AM

I think it was a bit boring but some good lines like the one about interns.

"Did you know that at the Discovery Channel, no one is a paid employee?"

macnorton 05-19-08 01:30 PM

"No You, the Chinese Clown?"

Jason 05-19-08 05:29 PM

My favorite part was when Lisa said

Spoiler:
I didn't do it

Oh, wait...

Shazam 05-19-08 05:55 PM

B-plot was great. I loved how Homer got the penny. A-plot was boring.

rfduncan 05-20-08 10:13 AM

My favorite part was during the freeze in the beginning... Homer is seen uncorking a bottle of champagne and the cork is en route to hitting Lenny in the left eye. I don't know how that gag got started, but it makes me laugh every time.

I think having yet another Lisa-centric episode so close to the others ("Smoke on the Daughter" and "Any Given Sundance") was too much Lisa. The whole All About Eve homage was weak at best. Should have played up the Bart and Homer story even more - they're gold when they work as a team.

theflicker 05-20-08 12:31 PM

I really like Homer at the auction house:

Homer: $5!
Burns: $5,000.
Homer: $5, cash.
Auctioneer: Sir, the promise of cash does not make for a better offer.
Burns: $5,000,000!
Homer: Objection, your Honor!
Auctioneer: Sir, despite my gavel, I am not a judge, but . . . overruled.

Something like that. I was laughing too much.

majorjoe23 05-20-08 12:46 PM

Yeah, the overruled bit was great. This definitely reminded me of when Bart was Krusty's assistant.

Numanoid 05-20-08 01:31 PM

I thought it was a good episode. I'm sure the All About Eve references were lost of 99.9% of the viewers. The stories this year have been great and I attribute it to the fact that they stick to one or two plots per episode, rather than the 8 or 10 they had been doing (trying to be more like Family Guy?)

My Other Self 05-21-08 12:02 PM

This was a really strong episode, and an excellent Season Finale I'd say. This 19th season has been the best the show's seen in awhile.

I will say though.. throughout watching this I kept thinking back to the " I Didn't Do It" episode when Bart became Krusty's assistant then a breakout star. He didn't steal the act, but the same general plot was used.

"But this biography isn't even ABOUT Bart! The last 6 chapters are excerpts from the Oliver North Trial!"

:lol:

All in all I'd say a solid 4/5. Can't wait to see what Season 20 has in store.