Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dancing with the Stars - (05/12/08 & 05/13/08) - The Semi-Finals!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which couple will have the lowest combined score and be sent home?
Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas
5.56%
Cristián de la Fuente & Cheryl Burke
5.56%
Jason Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
11.11%
Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Episode 609a - Mon May 12 8/7c - 1h30m

The four remaining couples must perform two dances pulled from a hat. Here are their dances:
  • Cristián & Cheryl - Viennese Waltz, Samba
  • Jason & Edyta - Foxtrot, Paso Doble
  • Marissa & Tony - Quickstep, Rumba
  • Kristi & Mark - Tango, Jive

Episode 609b - Tues May 13 9/8c - 1 Hour
Who will be in the Finals? Find out tonight, as one couple gets voted out.

Old threads and results:

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-12-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to point out that Cristían and Cheryl have the same two dances that they did two weeks ago... when he tweaked his arm on the Samba... this is going to be strange to see them revisit this horrible event.
Old 05-12-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
[*]Marissa & Tony - Quickstep, Rumba
That ain't going to be pretty.

It won't matter though.
Old 05-12-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same dances. Maybe new routines?
Old 05-12-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought Kristi and Mark were head and shoulders above the rest of them tonight and it really is time for Marissa to go.
Old 05-12-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I spent most of the season not really paying them any mind, but Cristián & Cheryl are really growing on me of late. The injury gave them some sort of spark it seems.

Marissa or Jason could go and I wouldn't really care. It could be about anyone though, objectively speaking.
Old 05-12-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So hilarious that Len gave Marissa's Rumba the same score as Kristi's Tango and Jive. I like Marissa and wish her well, but come on.

das
Old 05-12-08, 11:50 PM

The "pick this week's dance from the hat" was one of the least convincing "random" drawings ever.

[obligatory] Stacy [/obligatory]

Marissa absolutely should be going home Tuesday night, but the way this season is going, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in the final two with Kristi.

I'm so glad this season is almost over.
Old 05-13-08, 01:31 AM

Marissa is going home. I can't imagine the women viewers not wanting to keep Cristian and Jason. I'd like to see Jason go as I'm tired of the athletes getting a free ride. The dances tonight were all boring and the show was predictable. Jason was dull and overscored. Marissa was given the hardest ones to force her out although I was convinced she'd get the jive. Kristi and Mark were as technical and boring as usual. Cristian was overscored for dances he would have received sevens or eights for in the first weeks.
Old 05-13-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never have cared much for Cheryl's chereography and that hasn't changed. Same boring stuff. For the judges, I guess it's enough to pass as flashy but simple enough so the guys can get the steps. But it's boring....and definitely overscored.

For a decent final, Jason needs to go up against Kristi and unless something crazy happens Kristi will win it all. The judges were definitely hitting Kristi for much more technical things tonight.

Ok, you've had some breaks but Marissa needs to go home tomorrow. Where was that hip action Len was working with her on?
Old 05-13-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bye Marissa.

... but I'd rather see Jason Taylor hit the road.
Old 05-13-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

I think they all should do the same dances in the semis - it would make judging/scoring much more fair and consistent. I mean come on - does anyone expect Marissa to have done a jive like Kristy did.

The judges have gone absolutely overboard with praise for Cristian too in dealing with his injury. At this point, between that, the latino vote, Cristian wearing open shirts to get the female vote, and Cheryl's popularity with the public, I can't imagine them not winning the trophy.

Marrissa's scores are good enough that she'll likely stick around because she has a connection with large women who see themselves as her. Despite their highest score, I fear that Kristy is in real trouble.
Old 05-13-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Xerxes at least commanded both dances well enough.

Marissa seems to be dancing in molasses during the rumba, her latin dances are so coma-inducing. Buh-bye.

Cristian has freed up his dancing, but again got over-scored, mainly for his full-on booty shake at the end of the samba.

Kristi's lightness probably works against her because she is so agile and quick, but at least Bruno 'gets' her and Mark's dancing (especially when you compare it to the others still in the competition).
Old 05-13-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great result tonight, but I cannot help but think that we should just give the disco ball to the kids and call it a day. That was great.
Old 05-13-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, that 13 year old pair CAN dance! They are better than some of the pros.

Nice to see Marissa gone. Hopefully, Cristián will be gone next week.
Old 05-14-08, 12:32 AM

The show should hire the person who choreographed that "Phantom of the Opera" Paso Doble ASAP. That blew away most of the performances from this season.

Marissa
Old 05-14-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I saw that Brittany girl, I said, "She looks just like Ashly!" And then Ashly shows up as their former teacher. Creepy.

das
Old 05-14-08, 02:12 AM

This season is so dull. Last season, Mel and Maks had their incredible Viennese Waltz and their second paso doble. No dance last night can compete.
Old 05-14-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

It's about time. If this elimination had only happened one week earlier.
Old 05-14-08, 12:37 PM

Are DVDs available from earlier seasons. I did a search on dvdtalk.com but couldn't find anything?
Old 05-14-08, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I cannot help but think that we should just give the disco ball to the kids and call it a day. That was great.
You're not kidding. I just watched it on YouTube. Brandon/Brittany were fantastic. I say fire a couple of the weaker pros and put these two on the show next season.
Old 05-14-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what happened to Ashley DelGrosso? I know she got pregnant and everything but did she just throw her dance career out the window just because she had a baby? If she lucks out and gets paired with someone like Master P or Wayne Newton then it works for her as she lands a high paying gig for essentially 2-3 weeks of work.
Old 05-14-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twostepjoe
Are DVDs available from earlier seasons. I did a search on dvdtalk.com but couldn't find anything?
I haven't seen any. Very few reality shows are on DVD. I've only seen Dancing exercise DVD's and one of Len instructing dance.

So what happened to Ashley DelGrosso? I know she got pregnant and everything but did she just throw her dance career out the window just because she had a baby? If she lucks out and gets paired with someone like Master P or Wayne Newton then it works for her as she lands a high paying gig for essentially 2-3 weeks of work.
I'm sure she wanted to spend time with her baby like most mothers. I've read that the pro dancers get paid more the longer they stay in the competition so it's in their best interest to keep winning or not get eliminated each week. The exposure doesn't hurt their careers either. With Ashley being on twice this season, it seems like she is trying to return for next season.

I love watching the kids. Either the second group for extreme cuteness or the older kids for their technique are going to win. They were all good though. Compare that to the overblown and boring Michael Jackson tribute dance. The singing was blah too.

Last edited by big whoppa; 05-14-08 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy
Hopefully, Cristián will be gone next week.
I hope so. I am so tired of seeing Cheryl's back fat in those unflattering dresses every week.

Originally Posted by twostepjoe
They recently re-aired an earlier season on BBC America. Not sure if they will do it again, but it was one I hadn't seen before. I liked it because they edited it down to 2 hours per week, with the elimination in the same episode.
Old 05-14-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick question: Why do some of you call Jason, Xerxes?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.