TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Meerkat Manor - season 4 starts June 6.

Old 05-11-08, 07:54 PM
Political Exile

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meerkat Manor - season 4 starts June 6.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04212008...tip_107486.htm

April 21, 2008 --

Stockard Channing will be the new narrator of Animal Planet's "Meerkat Manor" when the series kicks off its new season, "The Next Generation," June 6 (9 p.m.).

I don't know if I'd label the new season "scandalous" (An imal Planet's cutesy word) - let's face it, people, these are animals we're talking about here - but the hiring of the no-nonsense Channing seems to mesh with the narrative arc the network is pushing this new season (that last season's death of matriarch Flower created a new hierarchy in the group).
Old 05-11-08, 09:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad Sean Astin won't be back, I thought he was good.
Old 05-11-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Season 4?! I'm shocked to hear that they are on a 4th season! I mean, these are Meerkat's we are talking about, here. What could they possibly be doing for 4 seasons?!

I'm not knocking it. My Grandma LOVES this show, and keeps telling me that I need to watch it. However, I just can't imagine that there would be so much material, that they would keep it going for 4 seasons!
Old 05-11-08, 11:33 PM

Eh, this show jumped the shark after Shakespeare disappeared. The writers didn't know where to go after that.
Old 05-12-08, 04:28 PM
Political Exile

Before season 4, there will be some new specials related to the series:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080421/nem096.html?.v=34

Meerkat Manor: The Next Generation Claws Back to Animal Planet Friday, June 6, at 9 PM

Monday April 21, 2:25 pm ET

- Another Queen Reigns Over the Kalahari as Stockard Channing Joins the Manor as the Emmy-Nominated Series' Headstrong Narrator -

SILVER SPRING, Md., April 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Meerkat Manor's favorite first family, the Whiskers, was dealt a harsh blow last season with the death of their fearless matriarch, Flower. With the family in shambles, Rocket Dog fought her way to the spot as top "kat" and new leader for the Whiskers clan. But, mutineer Maybelline didn't accept her sister Rocket Dog as queen and ditched the clan to form her own mob, the Aztecs. With the family divided, the sisters' claws come out -- and the Manor is changed forever.

Now, beginning Friday, June 6, at 9 PM (ET/PT), Rocket Dog and Maybelline must live within the rather large shadow of their late mother, Flower, and there's very little room in the Kalahari for both sisters' clans. Not only do the meerkats face predators, harsh desert weather and archenemies the Commandos-there's dissent in their ranks. Without a solid leader to unify them, they face their toughest survival threat yet-each other. The sisters' enmity isn't the first time a family spat has threatened a homeland. History's Tudor queens had a rivalry that put a wedge through England. This season, viewers are knee deep in the Kalahari as betrayals, romances, seductions and new titillating storylines unfurl. The Tudor family had nothing on these mobs- this brand-new generation of meerkats gives new meaning to bad "Manors."

No matter which meerkat deserves the title, this season, another queen reigns over the Kalahari. Emmy-award winning Stockard Channing joins the Manor as the series' headstrong narrator. With her previous role as First Lady on The West Wing, Channing is no stranger to politics.

Each Friday night during the scandalous 13-episode season of MEERKAT MANOR: THE NEXT GENERATION, witness the meerkats in a battle royale of competition and survival. MEERKAT MANOR: NEXT GENERATION takes charge at a new time, Fridays at 9 PM (ET/PT) beginning June 6 and continues thereafter every Friday at 9 PM (ET/PT).

And, as a special Memorial Day weekend tribute, MEERKAT MANOR: THE STORY BEGINS premieres for the first time on television Sunday, May 25, from 8-9:30 PM (ET/PT) only on Animal Planet. Narrated by Whoopi Goldberg, MEERKAT MANOR: THE STORY BEGINS is a 90-minute biopic about Flower's life and her rise to fame as the leader of the Whiskers. Immediately following the film, THE MAKING OF MEERKAT MANOR: THE STORY BEGINS premieres Sunday, May 25, from 9:30 -10 PM (ET/PT). Then, on Friday, May 30, the film MEERKAT MANOR: THE STORY BEGINS encores from 8-9:30 PM (ET/PT), and it immediately is followed by the half- hour special, THE SCIENCE OF MEERKAT MANOR, beginning at 9:30 PM (ET/PT).

About MEERKAT MANOR: THE NEXT GENERATION

MEERKAT MANOR: THE NEXT GENERATION is produced for Animal Planet International by Oxford Scientific Films (OSF). Caroline Hawkins is the executive producer for OSF. Mick Kaczorowski is the executive producer for Animal Planet U.S.

About MEERKAT MANOR: THE STORY BEGINS

Filmed over a seven-month period, MEERKAT MANOR: THE STORY BEGINS follows the real-life adventures of a unique family of meerkats known as the "Whiskers." In partnership with Oxford Scientific Films/Southern Star, Cambridge University and world-renowned behavioral ecologist Professor Tim Clutton-Brock, Animal Planet and Discovery Films tell the story of "Flower" and her incredible journey as matriarch of the "Whiskers" mob. A prequel to MEERKAT MANOR, the feature film traces the rise of Flower from a young inexperienced meerkat into a remarkable leader who puts her family above all in the fight for survival in one of the harshest deserts on the planet. Moviegoers witness Flower's growth as she raises her family and forges a legacy amidst the unforgiving landscape and constant dangers of the Kalahari.
Old 05-14-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Eh, this show jumped the shark after Shakespeare disappeared. The writers didn't know where to go after that.
I totally agree, he was GOLD! I wanted him to be my big brother.

Okay, even though it jumped the shark I still want to watch. Does anyone know if they put episodes up on their website for those of us who have dumped cable recently?
Old 06-01-08, 10:49 AM
Political Exile

I love Meerkat Manor.

I had thought that "Meerkat Manor: The Story Begins" would consist of footage that was filmed several years ago. I was wrong.

Instead, it consists of brand new footage that was filmed after Flower died. The filmmakers literally had a script of what the meerkats were supposed to do, and they went around filming many different groups of meerkats until they got the footage they wanted. The meerket referred to as Flower was actually many different meerkats. So were all the others.

I hated this movie.
Old 06-06-08, 10:21 PM
Political Exile

Spoiler:
Hannibal is dead.
Old 06-09-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the show occasionally....way too many commercials though. There is usually one about 3 minutes in. Pathetic!
Old 06-10-08, 01:52 PM
Political Exile

Major spoiler that happened after they finished filming season 4:

Spoiler:

When Rocket Dog was crossing the road, she was run over and killed by a truck that was driven by one of the researchers.
Old 06-10-08, 01:53 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I watched the show occasionally....way too many commercials though. There is usually one about 3 minutes in. Pathetic!

There are always exactly 3 commercial breaks during each 30 minute episode. When they air 2 episodes back to back, there is never any commercial break between the 2 episodes.
Old 06-10-08, 03:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish they would have kept Sean Astin
Old 06-10-08, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by grundle
Major spoiler that happened after they finished filming season 4:

Spoiler:

When Rocket Dog was crossing the road, she was run over and killed by a truck that was driven by one of the researchers.
Doesn't that violate the Prime Directive?
Old 06-14-08, 08:12 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by MrX
I wish they would have kept Sean Astin
Me too.
Old 06-14-08, 08:13 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Doesn't that violate the Prime Directive?

Yes.
Old 06-14-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good God, another season?! I caught a marathon of this show a few months back. Talk about a festival of misery. Seemed like every episode one of the critters either got lost, outcast, starved or froze to death. I think if I tried watching another season I'd end up slitting my wrist.
Theres like what, four members left in the colony now?
Old 07-04-08, 09:34 PM
Political Exile

Oh wow!

Four roving Whiskers males entered the Commanos' burrow while the Commanos were in the burrow.

There was no fighting!

Instead, they became members of the Commandos, and one of them, Zorro, mated with the Commanos dominant female Nakita, and Zorro is now the new dominant male of the Commanos.

Hannibal, the previous dominant male of the Commandos, had died several months earlier.
Old 07-12-08, 09:12 PM
Political Exile

Oh wow! Pregnant Nakita evicted 8 females from the Commandos!