Back to You has been Canceled

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-10-08, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...view/800039322

With the upfronts officially arriving next week, Fox is among the first to unfurl some of its plans. Per the Reporter, the network has renewed 'Til Death for a third cycle yet is not bringing back Back to You. Though the Grammer-Heaton sitcom drew good notices and decent numbers, it's reckoned that production costs ran too high (due to its marquee stars).

Also, Fox is giving a series pickup to The Inn, which is described as "Upstairs/Downstairs at a hip New York hotel." The pilot was directed by Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), and the cast includes Niecy Nash (Reno 911), Jerry O'Connell (Crossing Jordan), Molly Stanton and Jesse Tyler Ferguson. — MWM
Eh. I like 'Til Death better so I'm OK with this.
Old 05-10-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised they're cancelling it. I thought the ratings were decent enough (considering it's a FOX live-action comedy) to at least get a 13-episode order for next season. But I guess with the salaries, that wasn't feasible.
Old 05-10-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Before the strike killed this season, FOX actually ordered 11 more episodes in addition to the original 13.....24 total episodes for this season.

How expensive could this show have been to produce? It's 22 minutes of TV, shot on a sound stage at the FOX lot. I mean were Kelsey and Patricia Heaton's salaries the deal breakers?
Old 05-10-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I mean were Kelsey and Patricia Heaton's salaries the deal breakers?
Yep. They were making a ton.
Old 05-10-08, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Before the strike killed this season, FOX actually ordered 11 more episodes in addition to the original 13.....24 total episodes for this season.

How expensive could this show have been to produce? It's 22 minutes of TV, shot on a sound stage at the FOX lot. I mean were Kelsey and Patricia Heaton's salaries the deal breakers?
Both were on top sitcoms for over 8 years..so yeah, I imagine there salaries were higher then the Brad Garret and his wife big boobs.
Old 05-10-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only saw the pilot and it wasn't that funny. No loss.
Old 05-10-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yeah, as much as I like Kelsey Grammer, the couple episodes I did see didn't do much for me. Good for a couple of chuckles but that was it. Not going to miss it.
Old 05-10-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
I watched 2-3 episodes and I didn't think it was that funny at all. I agree with TheMovieman's assessment.
Old 05-10-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After watching the pilot, I predicted a 3 and dead. I was surprised it got picked up, but ya, it was way too expensive for the ratings it was drawing.
Old 05-10-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I liked the show but I knew the people wouldn't feel the same way. Neither star will be hurting for cash so oh well.
Old 05-10-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Bottom line was the returns didn't justify the costs. It wasn't a bad show...but it wasn't really a good one, either.
Old 05-10-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the show. Too bad it is gone. Much better than Til Death, but Til Death has gotten better since JB Smoove has had a supporting part. For some reason, I kinda think that Kat Foster is hot, even though she is kinda ugly.
Old 05-11-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found it to be likable, but I can't say I would be eager to see the series continue. I felt it lost something after the cast changes following the strike.

It always amazes me when these stars demand such high salaries. Ok, so you asked for so much money the show got canceled, so now you are making NOTHING. How is that better than making something more realistic for the type of show you are on?
Old 05-11-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What cast changes after the strike? I can't remember anything different.
Old 05-11-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
The only thing I can think of is Montana(the hot meteorologist) was missing the past handful of episodes. Oh, they also changed the daughter as well, which I don't get, I never had any issues with either kid.

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Only saw the pilot and it wasn't that funny. No loss.
Judging an entire season on the first 22 minutes... classic.

It got consistently better as the show went along, much like any first season out there. The cast gelled like it was their third or fourth season, not their first. The chemistry was great. Oh well, I enjoyed it. It had 'classic' Burrows written all over it and given more time could have been great.

Way to go big salaried idiots.
Old 05-11-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
For some reason, I kinda think that Kat Foster is hot, even though she is kinda ugly.
I think she's hot. Don't see the ugliness at all.

As far as the cast changes on Back to You goes. I'm not sure why they replaced the original daughter with the new ugly one that can't seem to act at all. Then since the strike ended the only eye candy on the show has been MIA until this past week when her character got fired. I've seen every episode and can't really say I'm going to miss it.
Old 05-11-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Back to You was getting better with each ep, so I'm kind of bummed. I didn't love the show but I thought the potential was there and they were just starting to REALIZE SOME OF IT... thanks Fox.
Old 05-11-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to like this show, but I couldn't stand the attempts of Pittsburgh references that they would just get wrong. I'm from Pittsburgh and after seeing the episode where the weather girl doesn't like pronouncing Monongahela River just did me in. We just call it "The Mon". Blahhh! hehe
Old 05-11-08, 12:16 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn I liked this show I wasn't happy to see the daughter replaced with a new actress, and the firing of the Montana character was not to my liking. Oh well lets hope How I Met Your Mother gets renewed on CBS.
Old 05-11-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Judging an entire season on the first 22 minutes... classic.
Well, I didn't see it was worth my time to watch another episode. Pilots are supposed to generate enough interest for viewers to watch more and it failed to do that for me. I only watched for Grammar because of Frasier. Couldn't care less about Heaton.
Old 05-11-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Pilots are supposed to generate enough interest for viewers to watch more and it failed to do that for me.
You would think so but Big Bang Theory pilot wasn't great but now that's one of my favorite comedies. I also watched Back To You and thought it was getting good but thing they replaced the daughter.
Old 05-12-08, 12:02 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before the strike, I thought the show was getting better, and thought the newsroom stuff was good. But after the strike, the focus seem to shift almost entirely to being about the daughter "do we tell or don't we?" issue, which I was never all that interested in. Honestly, if they were going to continue in a "family comedy" direction rather than sticking more to the workplace, I'm really not all that sad about it getting canceled.
Old 05-12-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can think of maybe a handful of shows that had less than stellar pilot episodes that went on to do very well. Cheers comes immediately to mind. It struggled in the first season especially, but NBC stuck with it. The days of that happening are long gone, and it is sad. That is why the shows with the best potential get axed and we get ten seasons of stupid reality TV shows.
Old 05-12-08, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
BACK TO YOU has been ok, but nothing that special - watchable, but I can't say I'll miss it.

THE INN sounds like a rip-off of BBC's HOTEL BABYLON.
Old 05-12-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
I'm not sure why they replaced the original daughter with the new ugly one that can't seem to act at all.
Myself and my wife thought that they replaced the daughter, but when she looked it up on IMDB, she said that she couldn't find any mention of a change, so we figured that since it wasn't on for so long, we just were mistaken.

As for Montana, was she actually going to be out of the show, or was this just some kind of plot device?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.