Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office - "Job Fair" (5/8, 9:00/8:00c)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office - "Job Fair" (5/8, 9:00/8:00c)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
In last season's episode where they go to a convention, Michael single-handedly closed the deal for Dunder-Mifflin to sell Hammermill products.

of course, that's b/c he invited the Hammermill reps to a party in his hotel room.
Since you bring it up, that's a point that I wished the writers had followed up on.

At the time (based on Michael's tone of voice and delivery) there was some minor concern that maybe he hadn't really closed the deal. Whether he did or didn't, something should have come of it down the line: either a big bonus or promotion, or getting called on the carpet for BSing the D/M suits into believing that they had a deal.

But we never heard about it again.

And did I hear wrong (think it was Michael, possibly Pam): wasn't Pam supposed to get a single sheet of card stock? Because if she was, then why the heck does D/M use card stock in their copiers?

Last edited by Jobronie; 05-09-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
The golf course stuff was pretty good, as were the office moments with Dwight and Angela. The job fair stuff, however, wasn't so good. It would have been nice for Michael to recover at the end and come away with at least one intern. But, no, his idiocy interfered yet again. When was the last time we saw him close a big deal or provide some other example to show how good of a salesperson he can be?
It was the opposite for me. The golf parts were boring to me, and I was disappointed Kevin didn't have a bigger part with his golf hustling. The job fair was fun for me, especially Michael making fun of that kid.
Old 05-09-08, 04:06 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
While I really liked the episode a lot...it seemed like it wanted to do a lot of stuff for 30 minutes.

I think I honestly prefer the hour long Office's more...even if the laughs aren't one after the other, you get a little expanded story with each one and pacing seems to work a little better.
Old 05-09-08, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I read somewhere that...
Spoiler:
... next week's episode deals with a "Good-Bye Party" for Toby.
If that is the spin-off character, I'm in!
Old 05-09-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pretty funny episode. andy's hands were hilarious.
Old 05-09-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by monkey42
My spinoff prediction:

Spoiler:

Jim gets Ryan's job in New York. Pam moves with him to go to Graphic Design school
No, I'm going with Andy really pushing the Ivy League references last night is gonna end up with the revelation that he didn't go to Cornell (proper).

They pushed the Cornell thing so hard from day one, I figured there was no way that it was truthful.......
Old 05-09-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great episode, as usual. About the spin-off talk: Is that confirmed? Where did everyone hear it? I've missed a few weekly threads so I'm a bit behind.
Old 05-09-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jobronie
And did I hear wrong (think it was Michael, possibly Pam): wasn't Pam supposed to get a single sheet of card stock? Because if she was, then why the heck does D/M use card stock in their copiers?
She was supposed to get card stock, but just grabbed a piece of copier paper. I figured she didn't want to bust open a package just for one sheet.

Creed's lines had me rolling and Andy flying out of the golf cart made me laugh so hard that I rewound the tape and watched it two more times!

I loved Jim's "Who the hell cares?" after kissing Pam and going back for seconds. Can I go punch JK in the nuts?
Old 05-10-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Who was the actor that played the guy Pam was talking to about graphic design? To me, it looked and sounded like the actor who plays Jim...
Old 05-10-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Michael closed something big this season too, I believe. I can't remember exactly what episode it was in but I remember Pam complimenting him on it and him brushing it off.

This was just an okay episode. Definitely a filler until next week, which I'm looking forward to.
Old 05-10-08, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Michael closed something big this season too, I believe. I can't remember exactly what episode it was in but I remember Pam complimenting him on it and him brushing it off.

This was just an okay episode. Definitely a filler until next week, which I'm looking forward to.
There was the pretzel day episode where it was set up where he was slacking off/doing nothing and he closed a huge deal and he didn't care. That was last season though.
Old 05-10-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, what's with all the spin off talk? Are those just ideas people are throwing out or have there actually been talks about a spinoff?

I just don't see what the point of a spinoff would be. Somebody mentioned Jim taking Ryan's job and then Jim and Pam moving to New York. Well, more than likely Pam would just be the receptionist at corporate or some really low level position and I bet Jim would have some kind of wacky assistant or co-worker (a la Dwight) and it would just be the exact same show. A bunch of office hijinks, but with different people. A Toby spinoff would be just as bad. I mean I love Toby and think he's hilarious in VERY small doses. His one or two lines a show are all that's needed. In what capacity could an entire show center around him?

Personally, I think the only way a spinoff could work is if Michael and Dwight went somewhere together. I'm not saying I would watch that because 95% of the time I don't like Michael, but I just don't think any of the characters have enough going for them to make a spinoff watchable. I guess Dwight going somewhere else would work too. I would have liked to see more of Dwight at Staples for example. Dwight in another environment would be interesting and funny, but then the original Office would lose a HUGE reason to watch the show. If Dwight wasn't on the show I would seriously consider not watching anymore. Like somebody said earlier, The Office can only work if all the characters are there.
Old 05-10-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Yeah, what's with all the spin off talk? Are those just ideas people are throwing out or have there actually been talks about a spinoff?
http://www.officetally.com/the-offic...-off-announced
Old 05-10-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Mose and Andy will be in the spinoff? WTF!?
Old 05-10-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by solipsta
Who was the actor that played the guy Pam was talking to about graphic design? To me, it looked and sounded like the actor who plays Jim...

I was thinking that too.

My favorite line of the episode (paraphrased):
Jim - "So I am going to do something I have never done at this job...try."
Old 05-10-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by solipsta
I thought the same thing...
Old 05-11-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
You're all nuts
They looked nothing alike
Old 05-11-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
He just reminded you of Jim because, like Jim, he stood out as a rare realtively normal person.
Old 05-11-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Overall, decent episode.

Originally Posted by Jobronie
Since you bring it up, that's a point that I wished the writers had followed up on.

At the time (based on Michael's tone of voice and delivery) there was some minor concern that maybe he hadn't really closed the deal. Whether he did or didn't, something should have come of it down the line: either a big bonus or promotion, or getting called on the carpet for BSing the D/M suits into believing that they had a deal.
But that's just it. That's the way Michael is. He could give two shits about closing a big deal. He forgets about it 5 minutes after it's over. It was more important to him that people showed up to his party. Just because we aren't privy to his bonuses doesn't mean something didn't happen behind the scenes, so to speak.

Originally Posted by Gunde
You're all nuts
They looked nothing alike
The camera angle they chose coupled with the voice had me as well until they showed him up close.
Old 05-12-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
He just reminded you of Jim because, like Jim, he stood out as a rare realtively normal person.
That's possibly part of it.

Is anyone able to do a screencap?
Old 05-13-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority, but I thought the episode was hilarious. I was laughing throughout.
Old 05-13-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Guess I'm in the minority, but I thought the episode was hilarious. I was laughing throughout.
I'm with ya! In fact, I thought it was close to being a season one episode. Especially loved the fact that there was more Daryll!!
Old 05-13-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
The Office can only work if all the characters are there.
Totally agree. Why does NBC feel the need to f*&k up this show?? Each character has a role in the office -- no matter how large or small -- and it works. When you start to mess with those dynamics, the show is going to suffer.
Old 05-13-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
Totally agree. Why does NBC feel the need to f*&k up this show?? Each character has a role in the office -- no matter how large or small -- and it works. When you start to mess with those dynamics, the show is going to suffer.
Well, NBC isn't trying to mess it up. They're trying to capitalize on it. They love it, too, and they want an hour of it instead of a half hour, because then they make more cash. Hopefully this will give them a chance to focus more on some of the characters that have taken a slight backseat, too.